SiouxSports.com Forum

Reason to be Possitve...

Goon

could we be trying too hard ?

I did not think UNH was all that good but they were consistant & all lines played their positions well & they never gave up

maybe for awhile in the second period they looked very good

while we seem to be up & down & then trying to get it going - when our best players are about burnt out :(

I don't sense they are really enjoying it or feel confident

& to be honest are just not that dominate

I know "speed Kills" :D but can you be in too big of a hurry ? - faster than your skill level ? maybe speed should increase as skills increase or the right combos are found - other teams are not so slow, but not playing in such a state of recklessness & missed opportunities & instead of many missed opportunities -capitalize on the fewer good ones ? ? ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0-24-0 in the last 24 when trailing after 2.

I can't tell you the last time I saw a Dave Hakstol team come back from two goals down. Has one?

Remember "down three" in a Final Five final? And how many other "down two" comebacks? We didn't win that "down three" game but UND forced OT. With "nothing to play for" according to some. :D

These are definitely not Dean Blais teams. Blaiser's teams took "two goals down" as a challenge and "three down" as a reason to beat you just to spite you.

These guys just roll over.

It makes me want to question their heart and their pride, all the way to the top.

I can't tell you the last time I saw a Dave Hakstol team come back from two goals down. Has one?

Remember "down three" in a Final Five final? And how many other "down two" comebacks? We didn't win that "down three" game but UND forced OT. With "nothing to play for" according to some. :D

These are definitely not Dean Blais teams. Blaiser's teams took "two goals down" as a challenge and "three down" as a reason to beat you just to spite you.

It makes me want to question their heart and their pride, all the way to the top.

I don't question the heart, especially Hakstol's. But maybe there are things he can do to set a different tempo. Not saying what is right or wrong because I'm too far away to know. But just as a devil's advocate.

I've read players who have credited Hakstol with keeping an even keel, and keeping the team from panicking, allowing them to regroup for some of these second half runs. Well, maybe the tone being set is too even keel. Maybe the coach needs to show a little more desperation or emotion at certain times. I doubt there is a lack of heart and desire, but maybe there is a different tone that could be set for the team.

That said, I'll wait and see how things play out. The coach sees this team every day and we don't. He may be playing his hand this way because of what he knows about his team.

Well, maybe the tone being set is too even keel. Maybe the coach needs to show a little more desperation or emotion at certain times.

He almost seems like a fatalist: "The puck didn't bounce our way tonight .... no puck luck .... "

Bologna.

Ralph said, "The harder I work ... "

Where's the desperation play?

I will have to admit - I was very disappointed in the outcome of Saturday's game, but. . . . .

Most of the posts are EXACTLY the same as last year. The only one I haven't read it "it is time to fire Hak." Maybe we should see how the second half actually goes before we start with the negativity. We are in a better position than last year at this point, and I believe we will finish better than last year when it is all said and done!

Go Sioux!

"I can't tell you the last time I saw a Dave Hakstol team come back from two goals down. Has one?"

Answer: Michigan, March 24, 2007 Regional semi-final.

We are not playing driven hockey, yet. Hak is still playing with the line combos. He is looking for the magic. It takes some time to get those lines all clicking.

As for Taylor Chorney, I think we are truly seeing the impact of losing Brian Lee. Now he did get criticized extensively last year, and probably rightfully so given his billing, but bottom line is he is a very skiled player and allowed for Chorney to play at his best. Taylor has way more pressure this year, as he and Bina are the only two mobile defensemen.

Careful now, otherwise you'll be accused of "disloyalty" or "bandwagon jumping" because you're not blowing the required 8000 psi of Sunshine up everybody's a$$. As for me, I still have my tickets to Denver, but have a feeling I'll be spending more time in the Tattered Cover than watching the Sioux. :(

Since I seem to have a good internet connection today, I'll go you one better than "heart and pride", and trot out my "Where's the f'ing leadership?" on/off the ice spiel Why are the C and the As some of the least productive players on the ice, and they seem to go through the motions. At the least some of the frosh like Trupp seem to actually show up nearly every shift. Have the captains actually had a team meeting? Have they grabbed some slacker by the collar and hissed that he'd better step up his game, keep his stick down, keep his feet moving, stay on your man, etc? Have they looked in the mirror and wondered if there's an extra letter on the front of their sweater that doesn't belong?

One of the things that seems to be different between Blaiser and Haks is Blais actually gave a shiat if his teams won or lost, and it showed and it could move his teams. Haks has looks like stump whether he wins or loses. I often wonder if that's his "O face" too. :lol: :lol:

The reason to be positive is history shows you play much better in the second half and you have one of the top 4 teams in the country when you're playing well. You guys have been spoiled by the last 3 years of final fours, it's not that easy. With Lammy, you have a shot in any game.

Blais teams played with more speed, shot the puck often, and crashed the net. Many times they got caught deep but they always could come back. There's no way a Hakstol coached team is capable of that. 2 different styles, 2 different types of players being recruited. I personally liked the Blais system better for entertainment value and it won us more hardware.

But when Hakstol became head coach he said we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between his and Blais teams. Deans teams had fire and played with tons of desire or they sat. Lots of times Dean went with three lines because of what he called passengers. Come on Hakstol we all know you can recruit like crazy now you need to bring the guys together and play hard and with a chip on their shoulder, no more mister nice guy play hard or ride the pine.

I would love to say that there is too much that this team has lost in the last 2 years that keeps them from winning as much, but really, there isnt. Toews, Porter, Lee....those are the 3 most influential we have lost, and stafford, Zajac, and Smaby before that. We still have most of the core from last year, and we have skill that has stepped up. Just remember, we are Spring team, and I have a feeling things will really turn around then.

I have heard that some of the players have apartments off campus, downtown. I wonder if they are partying it up Friday night after big victories (getting drunk, etc.) and if so, if that's affecting their play on Saturday. Interestingly, I've seen them in 4 games on the road (the two games out in Boston and the series out here in Denver). It seems like they play more consistently on the road. Could that be because on the road, they have a curfew and are under the more watchful eye of the coaching staff?

Too much negativity around here. A least we didn't lose to RIT.

Now if that happened I would be bummed out.

Last night some person was already throwing the Drinking accusation in the lobby after the loss.

I don't like people saying that one unless they have proof.

True, at least we didn't lose to RIT. However, we were manhandled the majority of the weekend against a team that lost to RIT.

Also, can somebody modify the title of this thread. Some people's spelling on this forum is atrocious. Thanks much.

The juniors have 3 years of tough starts and big finishes. How much of that becomes inately ingrained (i.e. learned behavior)?

I don't mean anyone is teaching them this. What I mean is that in some sort of way it might have developed into a habit.

Yeah, we have kind of expected it as well...

I have heard that some of the players have apartments off campus, downtown. I wonder if they are partying it up Friday night after big victories (getting drunk, etc.) and if so, if that's affecting their play on Saturday. Interestingly, I've seen them in 4 games on the road (the two games out in Boston and the series out here in Denver). It seems like they play more consistently on the road. Could that be because on the road, they have a curfew and are under the more watchful eye of the coaching staff?

Their Sat night performance would sure reflect that. Those are just rumors, only those in the inner circle know if that is true. I would think they would know better and have more respect for the program than to do that. Party after the Sat night game, fine no problem.

Their Sat night performance would sure reflect that. Those are just rumors, only those in the inner circle know if that is true. I would think they would know better and have more respect for the program than to do that. Party after the Sat night game, fine no problem.

I hear you and that's why I posed it as an open-ended question. When I was a student at CC, I recall going to several Saturday night parties at "the hockey house" (every year a group of players had an off campus house) but I don't recall any parties there on Friday nights. I hope you're right and their inability to sweep is due to on-ice issues. Also, let's give New Hampshire credit; they are a good program.

The next 3-4 series will tell a lot. We will have an "easier" schedule and it won't be "still early" in the season. If UND doesn't at least split on the road and sweep at home during this upcoming stretch, I'll be more disappointed than I'm now. I still think this team's success will be determined by whether the guys on the blueline can figure out how to play physical and consistantly!

I hear you and that's why I posed it as an open-ended question. When I was a student at CC, I recall going to several Saturday night parties at "the hockey house" (every year a group of players had an off campus house) but I don't recall any parties there on Friday nights. I hope you're right and their inability to sweep is due to on-ice issues. Also, let's give New Hampshire credit; they are a good program.

i think its just one of those things. i think the team knows what they have to do but for some damn reason sat night at home is killing them. with the schedule the sioux have played and where they stand in the pairwise can you imagine what even 3 more saturday night wins what do for them in the pairwise..thats what so dissapointing. there is a huge difference between a 16 and a 9 in gthe pairwise no matter where you are in the wcha standings. it shows really !@#!$ losses compared to losses vs very good teams. lets hope for a nice showing friday night vs the the st cloud 1 and doners

But when Hakstol became head coach he said we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between his and Blais teams. Deans teams had fire and played with tons of desire or they sat. Lots of times Dean went with three lines because of what he called passengers. Come on Hakstol we all know you can recruit like crazy now you need to bring the guys together and play hard and with a chip on their shoulder, no more mister nice guy play hard or ride the pine.

Agreed - However I don't think we have "recruited like crazy" the last two years. One of our main problems this year is that we have no freshmen or sophomores who are lighting it up (although Vandevelde is playing well). No one who comes close to Oshie, Parise, Toews, Boshinski, Duncan, Zajek, etc. Just look around at other teams and compare our last two classes to theirs (Denver for example). If you think this year sucks, wait until we lose Duncan, Oshie, Lammy, Bina and Finley. We'll have no scoring and a goalie who has not played one period of college hockey. I'm not saying we don't have any quality players, but I don't see any difference makers in our Freshman and Sophomore classes.

While I'm ranting - Our inability to make our home ice a tough place to play really irritates me - Sioux fans have seen a very mediocre hockey team at home for the past 3 years. i'd give anything to see us play with fire, pride, and intensity this year. Why we have to wait until January every year to see what I consider "Fighting Sioux Hockey" is beyond me. No way we would play with this lack of intensity for this long with Blais as coach.