SiouxSports.com Forum

Reason to be Possitve...

Goon

Agreed - However I don't think we have "recruited like crazy" the last two years. One of our main problems this year is that we have no freshmen or sophomores who are lighting it up (although Vandevelde is playing well). No one who comes close to Oshie, Parise, Toews, Boshinski, Duncan, Zajek, etc. Just look around at other teams and compare our last two classes to theirs (Denver for example). If you think this year sucks, wait until we lose Duncan, Oshie, Lammy, Bina and Finley. We'll have no scoring and a goalie who has not played one period of college hockey. I'm not saying we don't have any quality players, but I don't see any difference makers in our Freshman and Sophomore classes.

While I'm ranting - Our inability to make our home ice a tough place to play really irritates me - Sioux fans have seen a very mediocre hockey team at home for the past 3 years. i'd give anything to see us play with fire, pride, and intensity this year. Why we have to wait until January every year to see what I consider "Fighting Sioux Hockey" is beyond me. No way we would play with this lack of intensity for this long with Blais as coach.

I hear you Irish. I've seen the Sioux on the road enough times to say that they seem to have more of an "edge" to them than when I see them within the comfortable confines of REA. It's hard to put into words but they came out with a sense of intimidation to the home team and crowd out in Boston and Denver, despite losing the Friday night game to DU. It's like they're a different team on the road...perhaps playing on the road isn't always a bad thing; perhaps it can unify a team more.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next 3-4 series will tell a lot. We will have an "easier" schedule and it won't be "still early" in the season. If UND doesn't at least split on the road and sweep at home during this upcoming stretch, I'll be more disappointed than I'm now. I still think this team's success will be determined by whether the guys on the blueline can figure out how to play physical and consistantly!

The Sioux need to sweep SCSU, UAA and then be ready for MTU which is going to be flying high and ready to go to prove that their sweep last year in the ralph wasn't a fluke. If UND doesn't come ready to play they will be buried by tech. Against SCSU they top line is going to have to match the SCSU top line or get balanced scoring. I think they can sweep UAA... I will take a 6-2 or 5-3 record...

I'm positive they don't party after the Friday games.

So your with the guys are friday night? :D I dunno, I heard fans already making those accusations after the game on Saturday night, and I asked a guy if he had proof. Of course he didn't... Here is a thought why not check the guys into a hotel room on Friday nights when they are in town and have a curfew?

So your with the guys are friday night? :D I dunno, I heard fans already making those accusations after the game on Saturday night, and I asked a guy if he had proof. Of course he didn't... Here is a thought why not check the guys into a hotel room on Friday nights when they are in town and have a curfew?

That's a great suggestion. Hakstol needs to try a variety of unusual things to get a spark. Maybe putting them up in a hotel (not the same one as the visiting team) might be a great idea. Maybe they could re-open the Westward Ho?!?!

I don't see much to be positive about, The defense is supposed to be our strong suit since we return everyone except for Lee and he was the weakest according to most people. I have never seen a Sioux team give up so many odd man rushes and for a veteran team it looks like a chinese fire drill in the d zone most nights. This team is so jekyll and hyde it's hard to put a finger on it, but our big guns don't play like they have the talent to. Oshie should be in the top 5 in scoring with all his talent and Duncan shouldn't be far behind.(top five in the country). Players of their caliber should be 1.5 points per game or higher with all the ice time and powerplay time. The past years I have blamed Hakstol but if the players don't want to play at the level required what can Hakstol do? The pre-season hype about the four coming back for unfinished business sounds like bull now the way they have been playing, Chorney should be playing at an All American level instead of a Freshman level. JPL is the only one playing above last years level, Oshie,Chorney,Finley and Duncan have lost something somewhere. The rest of the team seemed to have forgot to forecheck,backcheck and pass the puck. Poor defense,up and down offense and no urgency when there down doesn't give me much hope for the rest of the year, this is a little above a .500 team. During te Blais era the motto was keep the opposing teams below twenty shots per game and no lead was safe, now if the Sioux our down going into the third it's all she wrote, this team doesn't have the moxy to come back.Rip away but this team needs a very big kick in the arse and far as I am concerned

The Sioux is averaging a little over 3.0 goals per game since the season started and from a team with as much talent as we have we need to generate alot more offense for the second half of the year and get the guys that can put the puck into the net to do so!......please don't forget that JPL only gave up 1 goal in the first 5 games of the year.........since that time our goals against is about 3.0 per game, so if you are only scoring 3 goals per game and giving up 3 goals per game, you are going to have a lot of splits on the weekend?

The Sioux is averaging a little over 3.0 goals per game since the season started and from a team with as much talent as we have we need to generate alot more offense for the second half of the year and get the guys that can put the puck into the net to do so!......please don't forget that JPL only gave up 1 goal in the first 5 games of the year.........since that time our goals against is about 3.0 per game, so if you are only scoring 3 goals per game and giving up 3 goals per game, you are going to have a lot of splits on the weekend?

Well said, hockeydog. It's hard to argue with those facts.

Everyone thinks just because the last few years they started slow and finished strong that this year will be the same. You should NEVER think like that.

There is reason for concern and nothing is for certain. No one has given consistent performances all year except for a couple of the freshman (LaPoint and Trupp). Everyone needs to look in the mirror and realize that it's going to take more than just showing up to win. One other person that hasn't taken a shift off, even though his point production isn't great is Osh, he's gone 100% every shift, so you can discount the effort at least.

Everyone thinks just because the last few years they started slow and finished strong that this year will be the same. You should NEVER think like that.

There is reason for concern and nothing is for certain. No one has given consistent performances all year except for a couple of the freshman (LaPoint and Trupp). Everyone needs to look in the mirror and realize that it's going to take more than just showing up to win. One other person that hasn't taken a shift off, even though his point production isn't great is Osh, he's gone 100% every shift, so you can discount the effort at least.

i think the teams knows what it takes to get to the frozen 4, they have been there a couple times, juts not clicking right now but there is a lot of hockey to be played.phil has been damn good and has saved our asses in a few games. til then...........time to go out and party

We've had a lot of talk about how tough the schedule has been. Everybody so far has been ranked, or is ranked currently.

What I didn't realize, until checking in at the USCHO board, was that its possible that all the REST of our games might be against "TUCs" (in Pairwise lingo that is).

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=3487...p;postcount=783

(Tip of the cap to Fighting Sioux 23 for the research ...)

==================================

I'm going against the run of play here but I'm optimistic. What we'll see going forward is a shorter bench in key situations, less ice time (against opponent top players) for guys like Marto and Lapoint. We'll see our defensive zone systems start to click, and once everyone gets on the same page, the opponent time-in-zone falls. We've seen what the entire roster can contribute; going forward we'll see roles defined. The forward lines will still get tweaked, but some things seem to be sorting out.

These teams ARE different from the Blais teams, which had the amazing speed and quickness to pull off comebacks on a routine basis, especially against lesser caliber opponents (like scoring the tying and winning goals at UMD in the last :30 seconds, to name another comeback). What those teams lacked was the size to fight through the maze of sticks and bodies in games like the national quarterfinals in 1998 and 1999. We've traded size for speed.

If I could wave my magic wand, I'd like the ability to hold a lead in the last period. We've allowed too many, and its been on rushes and against our better players. This is concerning.

The other concern I have is the health of our top guys. Oshie does not appear 100%; why else does he curl and pass with a near-break on Saturday? We need Lammy to stay healthy, for the backup is untested. And we need #2-4-5-28 to stay healthy.

We've had a lot of talk about how tough the schedule has been. Everybody so far has been ranked, or is ranked currently.

What I didn't realize, until checking in at the USCHO board, was that its possible that all the REST of our games might be against "TUCs" (in Pairwise lingo that is).

That is why I think we will be ok as long as the Fighting Sioux don't start laying eggs (by getting swept). The Sioux needs to start winning some games and some of the teams leaders step up and take some ownership.

Edited by Goon

That is why I think we will be ok as long as the Fighting Sioux don't start laying eggs (by getting swept). The Sioux needs to start winning some games and some of the teams leaders step up and take some ownership.

Does getting suspended for a game qualify?? :lol:

What has happened to Frattin? Talk about hitting a wall. The way things are going I would be surprised to see Duncan get much of an offer after this year. And talk about another guys play who has regressed that would be Taylor Chorney. Man o Man

What has happened to Frattin? Talk about hitting a wall. The way things are going I would be surprised to see Duncan get much of an offer after this year. And talk about another guys play who has regressed that would be Taylor Chorney. Man o Man

Staying positive indeed. :lol:

Staying positive indeed. :lol:

I am positive that I am going to drink another beer this week. I am positive that the sun will come up tomorrow even if the Sioux lose.

I am positive I am going to take my new shot gun out for one last late season hunt. THERE IS TOO MUCH NEGATIVEITY ON THIS SITE RIGHT NOW.

Well,

A.) Duncan and Oshie BOTH hurt badly from not havin Jon Toews playing with them. To think otherwise would be foolish. I have actually heard people say he wasn't that great at UND...huh

B.) Chorney has regressed, but is still by leaps and bounds their best puck moving defenseman and to be honest is having to play both D positions every time he is out there because any of the other five you throw out there have just been god awful...god awful

Well,

A.) Duncan and Oshie BOTH hurt badly from not havin Jon Toews playing with them. To think otherwise would be foolish. I have actually heard people say he wasn't that great at UND...huh

B.) Chorney has regressed, but is still by leaps and bounds their best puck moving defenseman and to be honest is having to play both D positions every time he is out there because any of the other five you throw out there have just been god awful...god awful

First, Duncan will get an offer. I just don't see Duncan have a pro career any greater than that of Peter Sejna. Both Peter and Ryan have tremendous talent, short on size, and will never get a shot.

Oshie is a goal scorer who is now being called on to be a playmaker. I think Toews and Oshie acted in the same capacity last year as Toews and Kane are performing this year with the Hawks.

I think Duncan and Oshie will be fine.

I think Frattin is a freshman... correct me if I'm wrong. He's playing well for a freshman.

Chorney is a great puck moving defenseman, but so is Genoway. Finley has even shown flashes as well. But what he misses the most is Brian Lee. He took some attention off of him, could pass the puck pretty good and took all of the blame and responsibility off of his shoulders. Without Lee to be blamed for everything, now he has to shoulder some of that and he's getting weighed down with it.

He'll be fine though. Our problem isn't defense really. Our problem is sustained offense. Putting two games together against the same opponent is darn near impossible for this team apparently.

First, Duncan will get an offer. I just don't see Duncan have a pro career any greater than that of Peter Sejna. Both Peter and Ryan have tremendous talent, short on size, and will never get a shot.

Oshie is a goal scorer who is now being called on to be a playmaker. I think Toews and Oshie acted in the same capacity last year as Toews and Kane are performing this year with the Hawks.

I think Duncan and Oshie will be fine.

I think Frattin is a freshman... correct me if I'm wrong. He's playing well for a freshman.

Chorney is a great puck moving defenseman, but so is Genoway. Finley has even shown flashes as well. But what he misses the most is Brian Lee. He took some attention off of him, could pass the puck pretty good and took all of the blame and responsibility off of his shoulders. Without Lee to be blamed for everything, now he has to shoulder some of that and he's getting weighed down with it.

He'll be fine though. Our problem isn't defense really. Our problem is sustained offense. Putting two games together against the same opponent is darn near impossible for this team apparently.

Don't compare Duncan to Sejna...thats not close. If you really think defense isn't a problem thats naive. It wins championships and we don't have it. If they have to run up against a Michigan in the National Tourney, Phil WILL have to steal one for them because they won't win a shootout the same way they did last year

I am positive that I am going to drink another beer this week. I am positive that the sun will come up tomorrow even if the Sioux lose.

I am positive I am going to take my new shot gun out for one last late season hunt. THERE IS TOO MUCH NEGATIVEITY ON THIS SITE RIGHT NOW.

Who's to say that there is TOO much negativity. Maybe the negativity is deserved? I think people are being more positive than they could be.

Who's to say that there is TOO much negativity. Maybe the negativity is deserved? I think people are being more positive than they could be.

So far, aside from some of the freshmen, I haven't seen much from this team to really cheer about. Can't sweep at home, coughing up games they should win, lack of leadership, lazy defense, etc. They're starting to look like some of Gino's last teams, and that's not good. :lol:

So far, aside from some of the freshmen, I haven't seen much from this team to really cheer about. Can't sweep at home, coughing up games they should win, lack of leadership, lazy defense, etc. They're starting to look like some of Gino's last teams, and that's not good. :lol:

UND has lost two games that they should have won and had the lead into the third period.

I have read a lot of goom and doom and I have been unhappy with a few of the things I have seen from the Sioux, however, there is some room for positives.

~Trupp is starting to emerge as quality player

~Frattin has shown flashes of greatness

~The Sioux have not been swept this year; Yet... Last season the Sioux were swept by UAA, Wisconsin, MTU, Maine.

Yes Goon, there is a reason to be positive..........

I can now purchase a pink Taser!

Don't Toews me Bro!

:lol::lol: