SiouxSports.com Forum

Chapman vs. the chancellor

UND92,96

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems Board President John Q. Paulsen is again implicated as a Chapman crony:

Chapman defended his actions in the series of letters, arguing it was important to notify Paulsen of the discussion. He charged minutes taken at the cabinet meeting during the discussion of HCR3019 are inaccurate.

Dunn also claims Chapman told Paulsen that a university president at the meeting described the State Board of Higher Education, which sets overall university system policy, as "passive" and Dunn and Seaworth agreed with that assessment.

"I have never made, nor have I agreed with such a statement," Dunn wrote. "I am having difficulty understanding or, perhaps accepting why such a damaging comment would be reported to the board president."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...ection=homepage

How long before the character assassination of Dunn begins in the Forum and within "Bisonville"?

Letter reveals clashes

The North Dakota State University president feared he could face firing over a disagreement with Chancellor Eddie Dunn and hired an attorney to assist him, a letter from the university system attorney says.

Joseph Chapman also asked Dunn to excuse himself from writing a performance evaluation because Dunn demonstrated a personal bias against him.

I don't know which one I trust less Chapman or Paulsen.

Here's the correspondence between Dunn and Chapman:

http://www.in-forum.com/pdfs/Media%20request%205-18-07.pdf

Chapman seemed to be playing every trick possible to drive a wedge between Dunn and the Board, misrepresenting, distorting facts and using John Q. Paulsen to poison the board toward Dunn. Dunn finally had to resort to tape recording their phone conversation on Chapman appraisal so Chapman couldn't misrepresent Dunn's statements. Chapman refused to accept the phone call, even though Chapman had ample time to change the discussion time.

Some things never change:

In that evaluation, Potts accused Chapman of "engag(ing) in a calculated effort to undermine the effectiveness of the North Dakota University System, and particularly me, as chancellor."

[url="http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=38323

Here's the correspondence between Dunn and Chapman:

http://www.in-forum.com/pdfs/Media%20request%205-18-07.pdf

Chapman seemed to be playing every trick possible to drive a wedge between Dunn and the Board, misrepresenting, distorting facts and using John Q. Paulsen to poison the board toward Dunn. Dunn finally had to resort to tape recording their phone conversation on Chapman appraisal so Chapman couldn't misrepresent Dunn's statements. Chapman refused to accept the phone call, even though Chapman had ample time to change the discussion time.

Some things never change:

[url="http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=38323

Kupchella complied with Dunn's request. Chapman was insubordinate to Dunn's request.

Star just can't stand the fact that NDSU has a strong leader that never fails to point out the inconsistencies in the unequal funding between UND & NDSU.

Strange that subject wasn't the bone of contention between Dunn and Chapman.

Face the facts that any reasonable person could have determined years ago: Chapman gets ahead by undermining others and has many megalomaniac traits all while polishing his public persona of grandfatherliness. But since Chapman's actions serve to get NDSU "ahead", you and others will support him at any ethical cost.

One has to wonder . . . If we could look back at Chapman's grade school report card if there would be indications that he didn't play well with others in recess. In my mind, Potts going could have been blown off if he worked well with the new chancellor. Given the fact that there are issues so soon does not reflect well on Chapman, and will definitely not be received well by legislators. They may decide that they need to fix things, and then it is a crap shoot as to what comes out of politics.

I love reading all the speculation on this board.... Instead of pretending to be somewhat objective, the majority of the posters on this board have decided to blame Chapman. You will take your distain for NDSU and assume that Chapman is totally at fault...even though the facts are not clear and the reporting has been decidedly one sided (not due to the Forum but due to available information).

The article in the Forum (and subsequent letter that the Forum published) do nothing but portray the side of Dunn and the board.

The real facts will never be known but that won't stop most of you from running your mouth about things that are nothing more than he said/she said....

These are the things that I know about Chapman:

1. He has improved the school academically since his arrival

2. He has successfully transitioned NDSU to a Division 1 university without asking for tax payer or student money

3. He continually fights with the SBoHE and the Legislature to get fair funding for his university

He has an agenda. He wants to improve NDSU and whether he plays nice in the sandbox or not is not an indication of his character, morals or ability.

You can say what you want about him. The good news is that NDSU, it's fans/alumni and most of all Chapman could care less what you think about his or his methods.

I love reading all the speculation on this board.... Instead of pretending to be somewhat objective, the majority of the posters on this board have decided to blame Chapman. You will take your distain for NDSU and assume that Chapman is totally at fault...even though the facts are not clear and the reporting has been decidedly one sided (not due to the Forum but due to available information).

The article in the Forum (and subsequent letter that the Forum published) do nothing but portray the side of Dunn and the board.

The real facts will never be known but that won't stop most of you from running your mouth about things that are nothing more than he said/she said....

2. He has successfully transitioned NDSU to a Division 1 university without asking for tax payer or student money

3. He continually fights with the SBoHE and the Legislature to get fair funding for his university

He has an agenda. He wants to improve NDSU and whether he plays nice in the sandbox or not is not an indication of his character, morals or ability.

You can say what you want about him. The good news is that NDSU, it's fans/alumni and most of all Chapman could care less what you think about his or his methods.

So we can put you in the A fan of Chapman crowd? :D

You seem to miss the point. Chapman has done a number of good things for NDSU. It does not give him the right to lie and to try to bully people. The end does not justify the means.

The real facts are known by a number of people. That includes those who watched and listened to his recent meltdown when he met with Fargo folks over the Dome rental issue that didn't get reported. He lied to people at that meeeting and put on quite a show ranting and raving. It was all quite unprofessional. Those who are on the Dome authority seem to know about this.

He has a pattern of lying to people. It isn't just those folks and Dunn who (worked for NDSU). The SBoHE attorney (who by the way attended NDSU and got his law degree from Wash U in St. Louis not UND) did not make any negative comments about Chapman but seems to know the facts. Potts was not a UND guy but worked for he people of N.Dak. Chapman can't seem to get along with any of these folks.

At some time you will need to get your head out of the sand and face the fact that this guy is a loose cannon. He has done a lot for NDSU but if you excuse his dishonesty and bullying then I guess the end does justigfy the means and all colleges and Universities in the state need to take off the gloves and fend for themselves. In the long run it will cost the taxpayers more and give ammunition to those who don't see the value of education spending and it will hurt NDSU in the long run. It will likely lead to some new legislation that will keep his successor and the other presidents from being as effective.

You are wrong if you think Chapman doesn't care what others think. He was literally sweating when he was grilled by the Attorney General the last time he got out of line and if he has hired an attorney and is whining to Paulsen and the public he must be concerned about what someone is thinking. Even Paulsen won't put up with this forever. Doesn't mean he doesn't do good things. He just needs to remember to tell the truth and needs to remember he works for the taxpayers of the state of N.Dak. not just the athletic fans at NDSU. There are a number of academic folks there who are not impressed with his bullying or unprofessional behavior.

I think you should also add to the things you know about Chapman. His top priority is Joe Chapman.

And therein lies the very first problem that you fail to recognize. The legislature does not want every college coming to the legislature for their share of the pie. That is to be worked out through the chancellor and the State Board. They are supposed to be there to set funding priorites. That should not be done at the legislature. Arguing with the board about funding for NDSU is fine, as that is the way it is supposed to work. However, lying about the board and going to the legislators is not the way it is supposed to work.

What world do you live in? Reality check please.

Why do you need a lawyer? Most people I know don't have a lawyer on their dole unless they are in what I call the upper crust of society, own a business. Most of my buddies that needed lawyers were in the process of getting divorced or because they got picked up by the cops for something.

Why do you need a lawyer? Most people I know don't have a lawyer on their dole unless they are in what I call the upper crust of society, own a business. Most of my buddies that needed lawyers were in the process of getting divorced or because they got picked up by the cops for something.

In this case DI is actually right (I didn't know I would ever say that :D ). There are a lot of times when an innocent person could need a lawyer to protect their interests or their reputation. It isn't just the "upper crust" as you call them. But money does increase the odds of using legal council. That is part of the world we live in right now.

None of that means that I think Chapman is innocent. There isn't enough information available to the general public to know either way. And there is a chance that we may never know the whole truth. But it is suspicious that he is having trouble dealing with a second chancellor in such a short period of time. He has done a lot of very good things for NDSU during his tenure. But that doesn't guarantee that he hasn't made mistakes, even big ones perhaps.

There isn't enough information available to the general public to know either way. And there is a chance that we may never know the whole truth.

Actually, there's quite a bit of information available to the public that paints a clear picture of what went on between Chapman and Dunn. Read it here.

Actually, there's quite a bit of information available to the public that paints a clear picture of what went on between Chapman and Dunn. Read it here.

This reads like a television mini-series. I noted Bruce Christianson's letter of support for the Chancellor and Bev Clayburgh's email. I can't believe she read what I just read and believes this is a personal issue between two individuals.

It's going to be a tough road for Chapman's attorney. She's basing her representation/legal actions on Chapman's lies which through documentation are proven to be lies. During Chapman's campaign to get rid of Potts many of his statements and actions which were made public made it clear to me that the man is a pathological LIAR. I say pathological because his actions clearly indicate that he believes his lies and truly expects people to believe them. It's also clear that some of his supporters don't care how or what he does as long as his results are 'positive'. Great message he's sending.

I wonder how long John Q. Paulson can continue to support Chapman without risking the stink to stick to him for the rest of his own career?!?

If attorney Beverly Adams decides to sue on Chapman's behalf, will he be liable for the State of North Dakota's legal fees when he loses?

Ok, I try to be objective and don't really care if it is Chapman's fault or Potts or Dunns fault. Personally, since they all keep acting like a bunch of four year olds accusing each other of things, I would say that they are all at fault. Personal opinion, though.

The part I bolded is because whether or not you play nicely with others in the sandbox is a good indication of your character. If you punch somebody in the sandbox because they took out of your hill, than what does that say about you? This is of course, metephorically speaking.

I am sure that Chapman is a good president of NDSU, and he has done good things for you down there. I however, do not think that highly of him given things that I have heard about him. Personal Opinion there.

The part I bolded is because whether or not you play nicely with others in the sandbox is a good indication of your character. If you punch somebody in the sandbox because they took out of your hill, than what does that say about you? This is of course, metephorically speaking.

I am sure that Chapman is a good president of NDSU, and he has done good things for you down there. I however, do not think that highly of him given things that I have heard about him. Personal Opinion there.

That is a nice anology.

For the record:

I've never hired an attorney to represent me at a performance review. :D

I think this really shows how delusional and paranoid Chapman can be. He was probably hiding out in the basement over the weekend muttering "They're all out to get me, man!". Oh wait, here's a photo:

tinfoil.hat.jpg