SiouxSports.com Forum

Chapman vs. the chancellor

UND92,96

Dunn criticizes Kupchella

North Dakota State University President Joseph Chapman wasn't the only president to receive negative comments in his yearly evaluation after a rift with the university system chancellor.

A disagreement between UND President Charles Kupchella and Chancellor Eddie Dunn over a medical school funding request during the legislative session takes up a third of Kupchella's otherwise positive review.

Probably newsworthy, but lacks the fireworks and intrigue of the Dunn/Chapman saga or the Pott/Chapman saga.

In a June 4 response to Dunn, Kupchella wrote that he couldn't agree more about the need to cooperate with NDSU and the rest of the university system.

On the issue of the medical school request, Kupchella wrote that the School of Medicine is under-funded and was doing nothing more than carrying out its mission by going to legislators and asking for funding consideration.

A medical school advisory committee requested the extra funding after the university system's budget request and only after it was clear that the budget surplus was much larger than projected, Kupchella also wrote.

We'll see Thursday if all of the 10 presidents contracts are extended.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunn criticizes Kupchella

Probably newsworthy, but lacks the fireworks and intrigue of the Dunn/Chapman saga or the Pott/Chapman saga.

We'll see Thursday if all of the 10 presidents contracts are extended.

I couldn't resist coming over to check and see if all the consipiracy theorists were going to be all over this one. Of course not, it's going on in your own camp. Remember the old saying those who live in glass houses!!! Great to see you guys keeping your track record of tunnel vision or a blind eye to what you don't want to admit too in tact. Hypocrits once again. You were hypocrits on the DI move and now this.

Say what you want Shawn-O but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a duck. You guys are doing the same dam thing but you won't be critical of your president or his staff like you were Chapman. Spin it any way you want that makes you feel better. Bottom line is your universities representatives didn't go through the channels as you guys wanted Chapman to instead your representatives went directly to the legislature "like Chapman did" but now all of a sudden its no big deal. Only because it's going on in your own house. Like I said, Hypocrite's each and every one that was on the Chapman story. Where's the outrage now? Oh wait its ok when its going on in your own camp.

I couldn't resist coming over to check and see if all the consipiracy theorists were going to be all over this one. Of course not, it's going on in your own camp. Remember the old saying those who live in glass houses!!! Great to see you guys keeping your track record of tunnel vision or a blind eye to what you don't want to admit too in tact. Hypocrits once again. You were hypocrits on the DI move and now this.

Talk about blinders!! DI IN FARGO, you have the supersize pair.

1. Has anyone here defended Kupchella as saying that was the proper thing to do with respect to trying to obtain additional funding for the medical school?

2. Has Kupchella run to Daddy around Dunn's back to cover his behind? (Chapman has done it twice)

3. Has Kupchella hired an attorney because he's afraid his boss will give him a bad grade?

4. Has Kupchella been identified ON THE RECORD as lying to cover his behind?

The obvious answer is no to all of the above. Please don't let the Chapman shinola blind you as well.

I find the accusation that the SiouxSports.com community is apologist for Kupchella so laughable that I'm a little surprised how many bites D-I's bait has managed to garner. I guess we're all desperate for anything to chat about in the slow off-season.

I doubt you will understand the difference. I believe it was the Dean of the Med School rather than Kupcella himself who was operating outside of the agreeed upon process. I wouldn't know if what he was doing was with Kupchella's blessing or not. When the Chancellor told him to take care of it he did.

Chapman's biggest problem isn't whether he is trying to get more outside of the agreed upon process. When the chancellor's told him to take care of it he not only didn't, but insists he doesn't have to and what he is doing is what is best for his institution. He has a point, but the State of North Dakota has set up a system that at this time has decided that is not how things will be done. The issue most are critical of is that he is having problems dealing with his supervisor and it doesn't seem to make a difference who it is. Both Potts and Dunn are having the same problems with him I will predict the new chancellor will also have problem with Chapman. Paulsen enables the behavior. The pattern of his behavior continues with how he deals with the Fargo Dome Authority and his temper and unprofessional outbursts.

I don't have a problem with him trying to get more money outside of the legislature, I have a problem with his difficulty telling the truth and his difficulty working for and with others. Kupchella doesn't seem to have that problem. The word is that he is respected by his peers and that he can be trusted. Chapman does not enjoy the same respect and trust out side of the Fargo NDSU people.

If Kupchella was continually having problems with his boss, and others and was in trouble with the Attorney General, I think you would see alot more criticism of him here and elsewhere. The criticism and mistrust of Chapman is not unique to this forum, nor is the respect and trust for Kupcella.

It is too bad because with some mentoring, Chapman might be the best in your history. Paulsen would serve the people of the state of N.Dak. best by mentoring ratherr thann enabling.

Sorry, but I don't see where I'm being hypocritical. Saying the story is probably newsworthy, but lacks the fireworks of Dunn/Chapman, I think is dead-on. Chapman couldn't find the words to explain his behavior, so instead blamed Dunn for trying to get him fired and then hires an attorney. Kupchella responded in writing to Dunn's review of his performance, even agreeing that there needs to be more cooperation between the universities. Which one appears to have more fireworks?

Ok, In simple english as stated in the article here it is.

"A disagreement between UND President Charles Kupchella and Chancellor Eddie Dunn over a medical school funding request during the legislative session takes up a third of Kupchella's otherwise positive review."

Did not the employ of UND go to the legislators looking for funding?

Did not kuppy himself state it was underfunded and therefore explained that as the reason for what he did?

Bottom line is your guys did the same thing, went to the legislators not the board and to which many posters here on SS.Com were furious about when NDSU did it. All I'm asking is where's the same outcry now from the sioux faithful over this? I have yet to see any. To me that stinks of hypocrisy. You can try to spin it anyway you want bottom line is your guys went to the legislators looking for funding to which so many on this board howled about when NDSU did the same thing. You can dish it but you can't take it!

I doubt you will understand the difference. I believe it was the Dean of the Med School rather than Kupcella himself who was operating outside of the agreeed upon process. I wouldn't know if what he was doing was with Kupchella's blessing or not. When the Chancellor told him to take care of it he did.
I'm not advocating one side or the other with this, but the bolded statement might be untrue. From the same article:

The issue of their disagreement stems from a letter Dunn wrote Kupchella in February with concerns that a medical school dean was advancing his own priorities to legislators without supporting the entire university system budget request.

In the May 25 evaluation, obtained Friday by The Forum, Dunn said he asked Kupchella to clarify UND's message to legislators, but to his knowledge that didn't happen.

Ok, In simple english as stated in the article here it is.

"A disagreement between UND President Charles Kupchella and Chancellor Eddie Dunn over a medical school funding request during the legislative session takes up a third of Kupchella's otherwise positive review."

Did not the employ of UND go to the legislators looking for funding?

Did not kuppy himself state it was underfunded and therefore explained that as the reason for what he did?

Bottom line is your guys did the same thing, went to the legislators not the board and to which many posters here on SS.Com were furious about when NDSU did it. All I'm asking is where's the same outcry now from the sioux faithful over this? I have yet to see any. To me that stinks of hypocrisy. You can try to spin it anyway you want bottom line is your guys went to the legislators looking for funding to which so many on this board howled about when NDSU did the same thing. You can dish it but you can't take it!

DI, I agree with you that the U's shouldn't go to the legislators for $$. My comments stem from you highlighting in red that this lacks the fireworks of Dunn/Chapman and saying that I'm being a hypocrite. You have to admit that hiring and attorney and requesting that Dunn excuse himself from the review is on a different plane.

I think if you look through this thread, you'll find more people were questioning Chapman's behavior than they were commenting on the funding.

Spin away however you want. IF your that dense then there is no discussing this with you. Of course your the same person who's theories include canadian schools getting into the NCAA so that you guys can get into the BSC so I don't hold any hope for you. GeauSioux I give you credit and yes I was only referring to the funding issues the article pointed out. The lack of fireworks however is also clouded by which side of the fence so to speak that your on. NDSU or UND. I think those supporters of NDSU think this story shed's a lot of light on that and I can see from your perspective where you may feel the chapman potts/dunn issue was more "loaded with fireworks" or whatever. I think after the big hullabaloo that sioux fans made of this that finding out the sioux have folks doing some of the same things is cause for comment. Yet no comments were forthcoming from the same sioux posters who bashed NDSU for the same thing. That to me is where the hypocrisy comes in. Of course the likes of Star2City are beyond discussion on this issue as they are so clouded by their hatred of anything NDSU it's a lost cause.

D1Fargo you have a point. Both of these guys were criticised by their boss for how both schools did not comply with the strategy the presidents were supposed to use in delaing with the legislature. I understand why Chapman and his staff are doing things the way they are and why the Med School Dean tried to do what he did. They are both trying to get more for their institutions. (I think the Med School dean and Chapman are similar by the way). Both Chapman and Kupchella deserved to have these problems addressed in their respective evaluations. I believe there is a big difference in how Chapman reacted to his crticism and how Kupchella did. That is what I think will keep Chapman in trouble with his boss whomever it is. None of this has anything to do with hatred toward NDSU. I just think when the same person keeps getting in trouble with the boss and the boss changes and the same subordinate still gets in trouble then maybe it isn't the boss.