SiouxSports.com Forum

Chapman vs. the chancellor

UND92,96

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a graduate and supporter of both schools I think Chapman is acting pretty juvenile. I will agree he has been very good for NDSU, but this has nothing to do with NDSU and everything to do with him personally.

As for the funding "inequalities", NDSU needs to realize that the med school creates a large part of this supposed unequal funding. Last I checked NDSU does not have a professional school. The med school and to a lesser extent the law school are apart of UND, but are very independent when it comes to funding. The cost to educate a doctor is much higher than any other student. Every MD position I see in Fargo starts well into six figures, I imagine it is the same in GF. The faculty budget alone in the med school has to be huge.

As a graduate and supporter of both schools I think Chapman is acting pretty juvenile. I will agree he has been very good for NDSU, but this has nothing to do with NDSU and everything to do with him personally.

As for the funding "inequalities", NDSU needs to realize that the med school creates a large part of this supposed unequal funding. Last I checked NDSU does not have a professional school. The med school and to a lesser extent the law school are apart of UND, but are very independent when it comes to funding. The cost to educate a doctor is much higher than any other student. Every MD position I see in Fargo starts well into six figures, I imagine it is the same in GF. The faculty budget alone in the med school has to be huge.

Pharmacy :D

After reading Pat Seaworth's memo to the board, and its soap opera attachments, I can only shake my head and long for the simpler days of Chapman/Potts.

Did Eddie Dunn see himself (and Pat Seaworth) being set up for "the Potts" and take actions to protect his (their) integrity? I'm forced to say yes because the audio records point to Dunn's story being the accurate one.

Note to self: Don't trade places with Bill Goetz any time soon.

Note to Bill Goetz: It was all Potts' and Dunn's fault. Chapman's sure of it. :D

After reading Pat Seaworth's memo to the board, and its soap opera attachments, I can only shake my head and long for the simpler days of Chapman/Potts.

Did Eddie Dunn see himself (and Pat Seaworth) being set up for "the Potts" and take actions to protect his (their) integrity? I'm forced to say yes because the audio records point to Dunn's story being the accurate one.

Note to self: Don't trade places with Bill Goetz any time soon.

Note to Bill Goetz: It was all Potts' and Dunn's fault. Chapman's sure of it. :D

I have known Pat Seaworth for over 50years. He is one of the brightest attorneys I have ever met. His legal opinions are opinions without rancor or prejudice. He attended UND for 2 years and NDSU for 2 years and got his law degree from Washington University in St. Louis. Dunn was an NDSU guy but is also a man of integrity. I believe they are both respected by their peers and Seaworth is a Bismarck native and I am not aware he has any problems with NDSU and in fact I have seen him cheer for them when he was in college.

This issue is no longer a rivalry issue. It is a serious issue where Chapman is again trying to bully people and get his supporters on the SBoHE to enable him to do so. I don't think Paulsen will do so again but I am not sure.

Chapman is not trusted nor respected by the other presidents. Now he is having major problems with his supervisor (the guy he answers to). That means he hasn't been able to take direction from either Potts or Dunn. He will likely have trouble with the next chancellor as well. He has displayed similar behavior and temper and bullying when dealing with the Fargo Dome authority and has used the NDSU supporters on the city council to undermine the agreements he reached with the dome authority to get "a better deal". He recently made requests to have only certain people from the dome authority negotiate with NDSU.

I spoke with a gentleman who served on the Mn. SBoHE when it was in existence. He is an NDSU alumnus and a big NDSU fan. He said their SBoHE "would have fired his ass". The rest of the state is beginning to tire of his immature antics and it will hurt NDSU. The strength of NDSU is not Joe Chapman but the faculty, students, and their community. They shouldn't sell themselves short. Their recent success has more to do with those entities than Joe Chapman. He has accomplished a lot and has done some good things. He is developing a pattern of not being able to get along with his supervisors and is creating turmoil with the chancellor and SBoHE. They tolerated it once and supported him. I don't think they will continue to do so. His request to have Dunn not do his performance evaluation is cowardly at best. He acts dishonestly and in an unprofessional manner then doesn't want to be held accountable. NDSU is too good of a school and has made to many recent gains to jeopardize things with Chapman's unprofessionalism.

I have known Pat Seaworth for over 50years. He is one of the brightest attorneys I have ever met. His legal opinions are opinions without rancor or prejudice. He attended UND for 2 years and NDSU for 2 years and got his law degree from Washington University in St. Louis. Dunn was an NDSU guy but is also a man of integrity. I believe they are both respected by their peers and Seaworth is a Bismarck native and I am not aware he has any problems with NDSU and in fact I have seen him cheer for them when he was in college.

This issue is no longer a rivalry issue. It is a serious issue where Chapman is again trying to bully people and get his supporters on the SBoHE to enable him to do so. I don't think Paulsen will do so again but I am not sure.

Chapman is not trusted nor respected by the other presidents. Now he is having major problems with his supervisor (the guy he answers to). That means he hasn't been able to take direction from either Potts or Dunn. He will likely have trouble with the next chancellor as well. He has displayed similar behavior and temper and bullying when dealing with the Fargo Dome authority and has used the NDSU supporters on the city council to undermine the agreements he reached with the dome authority to get "a better deal". He recently made requests to have only certain people from the dome authority negotiate with NDSU.

I spoke with a gentleman who served on the Mn. SBoHE when it was in existence. He is an NDSU alumnus and a big NDSU fan. He said their SBoHE "would have fired his ass". The rest of the state is beginning to tire of his immature antics and it will hurt NDSU. The strength of NDSU is not Joe Chapman but the faculty, students, and their community. They shouldn't sell themselves short. Their recent success has more to do with those entities than Joe Chapman. He has accomplished a lot and has done some good things. He is developing a pattern of not being able to get along with his supervisors and is creating turmoil with the chancellor and SBoHE. They tolerated it once and supported him. I don't think they will continue to do so. His request to have Dunn not do his performance evaluation is cowardly at best. He acts dishonestly and in an unprofessional manner then doesn't want to be held accountable. NDSU is too good of a school and has made to many recent gains to jeopardize things with Chapman's unprofessionalism.

Well said.

Forum Editorial: Chapman, Dunn tiff no big deal

The recently reported (Forum, May 19) dustup between the president of North Dakota State University and the chancellor of the N.D. University System is little more than that: a dustup. It has more to do with miscommunications and egos than substance and seriousness. Its effect on the operations of NDSU and the university system is negligible.

Chancellor Eddie Dunn, whose interim appointment to the post expires June 30, and NDSU President Joseph Chapman clashed over a legislative measure which would have stripped power from the state Board of Higher Education. Chapman opposed it and said so. Dunn apparently supported it. But Chapman

Forum Editorial: ... Dunn apparently supported it. ...

Dunn never supported the measure. He, as Paulson and the ND SBoHE, went from opposed to neutral (when the bill was amended).

So do I categorize the Forum as inept and unable to read (it's plain in the Seaworth memo), or just a mouthpiece for Chapman?

From the Seaworth memo (May 15, 2007, page 2):

"Ms. Adams stated she was retained Friday, May 11, 2007, after President Chapman learned of a meeting that morning between President Paulsen and Chancellor Dunn. At this meeting, the two parties discussed the presidents' assessments, including President Chapman's. According to Ms. Adams, President Chapman said Chancellor Dunn informed President Paulsen that either President Chapman must apologize to him, or he will recommend termination of President Chapman's employment.

"I discussed the May 11 meeting with President Paulsen and Chancellor Dunn and they both insist Chancellor Dunn did not make the statement President Chapman reported to Ms. Adams"

How did President Chapman learn of that meeting that quickly?

And how did President Chapman learn the (alleged) discussions in it?

Read this sentence again: "According to Ms. Adams, President Chapman said Chancellor Dunn informed President Paulsen that either President Chapman must apologize to him, or he will recommend termination of President Chapman's employment."

How could President Chapman (allegedly) know what was said in a two-person meeting that he was not at? Think about it folks, there's an obvious solution and it's not that hard --> John Q. Paulsen.

I wonder if John Q. Paulsen realizes he too now has been set up by President Chapman:

- Paulsen is on record now as denying this account (last sentence of quote).

- Yet Chapman got that "apologize or fired" story from somewhere (assumably Paulsen).

Either Paulsen is not being forthcoming (terminable?) or Chapman made it all up (terminable?).

From the Seaworth memo (May 15, 2007, page 2):

How did President Chapman learn of that meeting that quickly?

And how did President Chapman learn the (alleged) discussions in it?

Read this sentence again: "According to Ms. Adams, President Chapman said Chancellor Dunn informed President Paulsen that either President Chapman must apologize to him, or he will recommend termination of President Chapman's employment."

How could President Chapman (allegedly) know what was said in a two-person meeting that he was not at? Think about it folks, there's an obvious solution and it's not that hard --> John Q. Paulsen.

I wonder if John Q. Paulsen realizes he too now has been set up by President Chapman:

- Paulsen is on record now as denying this account (last sentence of quote).

- Yet Chapman got that "apologize or fired" story from somewhere (assumably Paulsen).

Either Paulsen is not being forthcoming (terminable?) or Chapman made it all up (terminable?).

To bad no one has any balls to fire them; Both Chapman and Paulsen will both still have jobs.

With due credit to President Chapman, he's accumulated quite a list of public figures he's drug into controversy (and survived) over the last 12 to 15 months:

Potts-gate:

Governor Hoeven

Attorney General Stenejem

(former) Chancellor Potts

The ND SBoHE

Sen. Ray Holmberg

(former) President of Bismarck State

Dunn-gate:

Eddie Dunn

JQ Paulsen

The ND SBoHE attorney (Seaworth)

The ND SBoHE

The Fargodome Open-Meetings problem:

Mayor of Fargo Wallacher

Commissioner Linda Coates

Commissioner Brad Wimmer

JQ Paulsen

Fargodome Commission

I must compliment the consistent ability to survive such an impressive trail of controversy (or is it carnage?).

Higher ed editorial got it wrong. By Eddie Dunn

At no time did I advocate a position different from that of the board. If I had, it would have been insubordination and grounds for dismissal.

I also do not understand why The Forum editorial board reported that I apparently demanded President Chapman apologize or I would suggest termination of his contract. There is absolutely no basis for that statement. At no time have I made a statement of that nature or even hinted at it. In fact, a Forum article on May 19, completely contradicts any suggestion that I demanded an apology. The article written by Amy Dalrymple correctly states that,

I'm still trying to figure the Fargo Forum people on this one. One of their reporters has the correct information and puts it into her article. Her "bosses" then get in wrong?? Clearly or unclearly, something is going on behind the scenes on this one. Is it coincidence that Mr. Dunn's editorial is printed on a Sunday of a holiday weekend where no one sees it?

I would have thought our own pseudo reporter would have been all over this one. :silly:

I'm still trying to figure the Fargo Forum people on this one. One of their reporters has the correct information and puts it into her article. Her "bosses" then get in wrong?? Clearly or unclearly, something is going on behind the scenes on this one. Is it coincidence that Mr. Dunn's editorial is printed on a Sunday of a holiday weekend where no one sees it?

The Bismarck Tribune took a very professional dig at the Forum ([url="http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=39328