SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil is just as cheap as anything the ducks have.

Agree Goon. It's the Stanley Cup Finals. It's a hard fought battle. Anaheim was more physical the first two games which resulted in two wins. Ottawa came back with a very physical game on Saturday night, which resulted in good things for them. Was Pronger's hit cheap? Yeah, but I also saw some cheap hits by Ottawa. Emery got away with some pretty cheap stick work on Selanne, which should have resulted in a penalty. Selanne wasn't in the crease, but rather 5 feet outside of it. This type of game is the precise reason I didn't think New Jersey could win the Stanley Cup, way back when the playoffs started. To win the Cup, you have to be a good hockey team. I also feel you have to be able to play well against a very physical team, which often means you have to be just as physical. In all reality, I'm not a big fan of either of these teams, but I predicted back in January that Anaheim would be in the Cup Finals because of their skill and their physical play. Where I don't care who wins the Cup, I must admit they are very entertaining games to watch, and the physical play is a large part of the reason why I love this game and believe that the Cup is the most difficult trophy to win in all professional sports.

Agree Goon. It's the Stanley Cup Finals. It's a hard fought battle. Anaheim was more physical the first two games which resulted in two wins. Ottawa came back with a very physical game on Saturday night, which resulted in good things for them. Was Pronger's hit cheap? Yeah, but I also saw some cheap hits by Ottawa. Emery got away with some pretty cheap stick work on Selanne, which should have resulted in a penalty. Selanne wasn't in the crease, but rather 5 feet outside of it. This type of game is the precise reason I didn't think New Jersey could win the Stanley Cup, way back when the playoffs started. To win the Cup, you have to be a good hockey team. I also feel you have to be able to play well against a very physical team, which often means you have to be just as physical. In all reality, I'm not a big fan of either of these teams, but I predicted back in January that Anaheim would be in the Cup Finals because of their skill and their physical play. Where I don't care who wins the Cup, I must admit they are very entertaining games to watch, and the physical play is a large part of the reason why I love this game and believe that the Cup is the most difficult trophy to win in all professional sports.

That was a great post. I think both coaches need to stop whinning.

No team has demonstrated both the best and the worst of NHL hockey like the Anaheim Ducks. At times, they are amazing and a joy to watch. But, they have also shown a disgusting nature of targeting players and taking them out. I very much enjoy the physical, hard hitting game. I also support fighting. But, these guys have become a joke; and with the 1-0 trap-fests, have helped take the Cup playoffs into a ratings abyss.

You may like this sort of thing, but just know that hockey's got nothing on UFC for blood or skeet shooting for skill. Only a matter of time before Vs. goes that route in the spring. Not many sports can celebrate one of their playoff games being dropped for a horse-race warm up show. Rest assured, non-hockey fans are laughing, and NHL devotees will have to be satisfied with getting the playoffs via intermittent streaming video from servers sharing MySpace or YouTube bandwidth.

No team has demonstrated both the best and the worst of NHL hockey like the Anaheim Ducks. At times, they are amazing and a joy to watch. But, they have also shown a disgusting nature of targeting players and taking them out. I very much enjoy the physical, hard hitting game. I also support fighting. But, these guys have become a joke; and with the 1-0 trap-fests, have helped take the Cup playoffs into a ratings abyss.

You may like this sort of thing, but just know that hockey's got nothing on UFC for blood or skeet shooting for skill. Only a matter of time before Vs. goes that route in the spring. Not many sports can celebrate one of their playoff games being dropped for a horse-race warm up show. Rest assured, non-hockey fans are laughing, and NHL devotees will have to be satisfied with getting the playoffs via intermittent streaming video from servers sharing MySpace or YouTube bandwidth.

I agree 100%. I would much rather watch Nick Lidstrom, who plays with incredible skill but without attempting to hurt players or resorting to cheap play, than Chris Pronger. I have absolutely no interest in the Final because of the Ducks. I would have much preferred the Wings, the Sharks, the Predators or any team that is not dirty and does not play a trap. The NHL game has gotten much better, but the Ducks are Exhibit A why the league needs to go even farther to clean up the game. Only Neanderthals like Don Cherry prefer goon hockey like the Ducks play at times.

Lets not forget that all season long we had up and down the ice play only to revert back to the trap and slow down obstruction days. I think Lindy and Lemaire had a point earlier in the post season when they complained about the obstruction coming back. I think hockey fans should write letter to buttamen and let him know what we think of the old NHL coming back in the playoffs.

Lets not forget that all season long we had up and down the ice play only to revert back to the trap and slow down obstruction days. I think Lindy and Lemaire had a point earlier in the post season when they complained about the obstruction coming back. I think hockey fans should write letter to buttamen and let him know what we think of the old NHL coming back in the playoffs.

First off, I never said Neil didn't have his cheap acts. I like Tomas Holmstrom but I'd be the first to tell you that he does some rather dirty things as well. I'm sure non-UND fans would say the same thing about Mike Prpich.

Secondly, every team obstructs to some extent and I don't think Lemaire has any room to speak ill of the trap. He's guilty of using that playing style as much as anyone else. I don't think it would have mattered regarding the Wild anyways. And, the way Buffalo played against Ottawa, it wouldn't have mattered for Lindy either.

First off, I never said Neil didn't have his cheap acts. I like Tomas Holmstrom but I'd be the first to tell you that he does some rather dirty things as well. I'm sure non-UND fans would say the same thing about Mike Prpich.

Secondly, every team obstructs to some extent and I don't think Lemaire has any room to speak ill of the trap. He's guilty of using that playing style as much as anyone else. I don't think it would have mattered regarding the Wild anyways. And, the way Buffalo played against Ottawa, it wouldn't have mattered for Lindy either.

Personally I don't like Holmstrom he is a thug/pest and basically the old saying what comes around goes around. Or you could say live by the sword you die by the sword. I will predict that Chris Neil and his cheap head hunting hits will some day come back to haunt him. Basically he is going to get what he has coming to him. It may not happen this year but it will happen eventually.

Also its my personal opinion the refs have not called the game consitantly, during the regular season the called the game one way only to slowly revert back to letting guys hook, hold and obstruct. I am not sure why everyone thinks the Wild are a trap team. They aren't half as bad as the devils used to be.

On this one Redwing I think your bias against Lemaire and the Wild is causing you not to see this objectively I don't mean anything personal, but its just the way I see it. The Wild played a more up tempo and skating game than they did when they first came into the league.

Don't look now Anaheim haters, but Alfredsson just fires a puck at Scott Neidermayer with 5 seconds left in the 2nd period. Not just a little wrist shot either but a slap shot as hard as he could. Could see his body shift to take aim on him. Should equal a one-game suspension, but probably won't as Neidermayer wasn't injured.

Don't look now Anaheim haters, but Alfredsson just fires a puck at Scott Neidermayer with 5 seconds left in the 2nd period. Not just a little wrist shot either but a slap shot as hard as he could. Could see his body shift to take aim on him. Should equal a one-game suspension, but probably won't as Neidermayer wasn't injured.

I was thinking about this tonight, did not Alfredsson just do what the Ducks haters accused the ducks of doing?

That is as classless as I have seen in a long time. Just as bad as chopping someone in the head and possibly more dangerous.

Honestly I like this rough and tumble hockey.

I was thinking about this tonight, did not Alfredsson just do what the Ducks haters accused the ducks of doing?

That is as classless as I have seen in a long time. Just as bad as chopping someone in the head and possibly more dangerous.

Honestly I like this rough and tumble hockey.

Anaheim still owns all the patents on cheap play this series. Absolutely, no question Alfredsson should get suspended for that terrible move. Very disappointing to see that junk. But, the series downward spiral continues. Even though I though last nights game was excellent, with wonderful hits and passing, I maintain the overall NHL product is marred by garbage play. Cherry and Hull talked about bringing back honor with fighting and I agree. Nobody's squaring off to take it out face to face. Rather, players are looking for the cross check, elbow, or some other opportunity to end an opponent's season.

Hats off to Giggy. He is the factor for the Ducks I think more than Pronger or Niedemeyer. Selanne played very well too. My Sens are not playing with the same intensity as they did in the other 3 playoff rounds. They sure faded in the last two periods. The Sens owned the first period and without Giggy's very excellent goal tending, the game winning outcome may have been different.

I have to say though, Brett Hull and the rest of the annoucing team are Anaheim rubes. Brett doesn't have an original thought; piggybacks off of eveyone else including the very Dandy Don Cherry.

The Sens are down, but not out yet....I am crossing my toesies they take the next 3 games; unlikely but then pigs fly right? :bigsmile:

Anaheim still owns all the patents on cheap play this series. Absolutely, no question Alfredsson should get suspended for that terrible move. Very disappointing to see that junk. But, the series downward spiral continues. Even though I though last nights game was excellent, with wonderful hits and passing, I maintain the overall NHL product is marred by garbage play. Cherry and Hull talked about bringing back honor with fighting and I agree. Nobody's squaring off to take it out face to face. Rather, players are looking for the cross check, elbow, or some other opportunity to end an opponent's season.

oohhhh rahhhh, I agree with your assessment.

I enjoyed the game last night

I thought what Cherry said between the 2nd & 3rd was right on

even watching the ducks do the trap at the end was interesting & they did it well

where is ottawa anyway & has anybody ever really been there :silly::bigsmile:

Hats off to Giggy. He is the factor for the Ducks I think more than Pronger or Niedemeyer. Selanne played very well too. My Sens are not playing with the same intensity as they did in the other 3 playoff rounds. They sure faded in the last two periods. The Sens owned the first period and without Giggy's very excellent goal tending, the game winning outcome may have been different.

I have to say though, Brett Hull and the rest of the annoucing team are Anaheim rubes. Brett doesn't have an original thought; piggybacks off of eveyone else including the very Dandy Don Cherry.

The Sens are down, but not out yet....I am crossing my toesies they take the next 3 games; unlikely but then pigs fly right? :bigsmile:

That's funny.

The Sens are down, and they are out. They look JUST LIKE the Sabres. THey don't shoot the puck nearly enough, they are too worried about the Ducks. They aren't able to counter the Ducks' physical play as well.

Here's what I see: Two teams in the Finals:

Team #1: TONS of Offensive talent. Good defensive talent. Not very physical. Expects to win every game.

Team #2: Not as talented top to bottom as Team #1. Very physical. Comes to the arena (home or away) willing to and ready to do absolutely ANYTHING to win the game. Shoots the puck. Tries things differently. Adjusts well on the fly.

Team #2 isn't Ottawa. Do the math.

I want the Sens to win it all, but I'd be SHOCKED if they didn't fold in the next game.

Here's what I see: Two teams in the Finals:

Team #1: TONS of Offensive talent. Good defensive talent. Not very physical. Expects to win every game.

Team #2: Not as talented top to bottom as Team #1. Very physical. Comes to the arena (home or away) willing to and ready to do absolutely ANYTHING to win the game. Shoots the puck. Tries things differently. Adjusts well on the fly.

Team #2 isn't Ottawa. Do the math.

Why are you talking about an April 2007 Saturday night in St. Louis?

I noticed him turning his body too. Anyone have any clue as to why that wasn't a penalty? I am not sure what it would have been called, but it definitely was intentional.

What's with Neil and Emery's diving. . . . and worse yet, what's with the refs buying into it? Have they been watching "Robbie Earl's Diving 101" tapes or what? :bigsmile:

HAHA, I loved the announcers on NBC going off about the diving last night. Emery's dive was so obvious and then at the beginning of the next period did you see the ref tell him to knock off the diving and Emery just glaring at him as he skated away?

That was a great game last night...

I think the Ducks if they win the Stanley Cup are going to put some holes in the theory that small teams are going to dominate the New NHL. Because right now the Ducks are taking it to the Senators and the Senators aren't a bad team at all nor are they small.

Does anyone else think Emory is a hack? Diving like Greg Lugainus.

I think the Ducks if they win the Stanley Cup are going to put some holes in the theory that small teams are going to dominate the New NHL. Because right now the Ducks are taking it to the Senators and the Senators aren't a bad team at all nor are they small.

Yeah, the Ducks are a pretty big team. And they are mighty good. It is very apperent how they use their size and work over other teams.

Does anyone else think Emory is a hack? Diving like Greg Lugainus.

That was indeed a very nice dive. However, Dominic Hasek of years past would say that he could have done the same thing but less overtly and more spectacularly.