SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

Also nice to see a product of the Bottineau Lumberjacks playing a major role in the Ducks' success! I have to agree with Siouxforeverbaby. . . . can't go for the Sens since they knocked out the Devils (and Buffalo for that matter)!!

That would have made a good trivia question. The NHL player from the Bottineau Lumberjacks.

Dustin Penner Wikipedia

Dustin Penner (born September 28, 1982 in Winkler, Manitoba) is a professional ice hockey forward currently playing for the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League. Penner was never drafted, instead he was discovered and signed as a free agent by the then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, after he played for the University of Maine in the NCAA.

Playing career

Minors Dustin Penner began his career by playing on his highschool team, and had little hope of ever making it to the NHL. [1] After being cut by all local AAA and junior teams he tried out for, his cousin Darryl called him and offered him an opportunity to play at Minot State University-Bottineau, a junior college.

He agreed to play there, but his first year turned out to be a terrible one, as he broke his femur and did not return to play. The next year, in the 2001-02 season, he became a very important player for the club, scoring 20 goals with 13 assists in 23 games, also earning the Most Determined Player Award for his improvement and stellar play after recovering from a broken femur.

Penner then went to an evaluation camp at Saskatoon. He played well there, scoring an average of three points per game. There he was spotted by Grant Stanbrook, the assistant coach for the University of Maine. Grant offered Penner a scholarship, which he accepted. He did not play for the team that year, but joined them in all of their practices.

The following year, Penner helped the University of Maine Black Bears to the NCAA Championship game in the 2003-04 season, and scored the game-winning goal in the semifinals against Boston College. But, Maine then lost the championship title game to the University of Denver, 1-0.

After the loss, Penner was approached by David McNab, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike some, I am rooting for the Sens BECAUSE they knocked off the Devils. I believe that, with the way Brodeur seems to step up in big games and the way Zach and crew were playing up until that series, that they would be tough to beat. Ottawa dispatched them cleanly (and I mean cleanly...no cheap shots... no underhandedness). They flat out outplayed the Devils.

To that effect, I could make some of the same arguments with Anaheim. They certainly didn't have the easiest trek (other than the first round...sorry Wild fans) and they aren't exactly the cleanest team in the playoffs (however, they did clean things up somewhat...but it took Pronger's suspension to do it). But Detroit was better than them and (with Lilja's help) they passed everyone by.

This isn't going to be the most "ideal" Stanley Cup finals for TV ratings (I think it would have to be all New England teams for it to be...maybe Rangers, Bruins, Pittsburgh or eastern Canadian teams like PERHAPS Toronto or Montreal for it to be decent).

But I think this will be a very good series.

Ottawa outskates, outspeeds, and outshoots Anaheim. Anaheim outhits and outgrits Ottawa. Ottawa in 6.

As a Penguins fan, I'll be cheering for Ottawa to beat Anaheim. I've never understood the idea of wanting the team that beat your favorite team to lose in the next round. The way I look at it, if the Penguins have to lose they might as well lose to the team that goes on to win it all. It makes the Penguins look better that way, or should I say it would make the Penguins look worse if Ottawa lost.

True, but I had to choose a side. Devils are my second favorite team and Detroit is obviously my favorite. Now, take the fact that the Devils played hard but weren't able to beat Ottawa and Detroit is and was better than Anaheim for most of the series yet couldn't finish the deal. Really, since my two favorite teams were beaten by the teams that are currently facing each other in the Finals I should be happy if either one won it all, but I am not pleased with Detroit. They weren't outplayed. Anaheim wasn't better than they were. Detroit simply pissed down their legs. Hence, I go with the team that truly beat every team they faced in Ottawa.

I can't stand the Senators and I am not a big fan of the Ducks either, but I would rather the Stanley cup stay in the USA.

;) I may have to just spend my time golfing during the playoffs. :silly: Looks like will be seeing Spider Man as well. :silly:

It's kind of like a game between the BADgers and the Golden Goofers. I have a hard time cheering for either team and they both can't lose. I think the coach of the Senator is a huge whinner, but also on the flip side of that is the GM of the Ducks, he is the king of complaining and sour grapes.

When I heard about the silly magic puck thing when the Wild played the Ducks and then to top it all of Teemu Selanne was still whining about the Wild two series later when asked about Chelios not shaking hands with the ducks really has me turned off on the Ducks and this whole series. I am just torn I really am, I guess the less of two evils is the Ducks. I am hoping to see George Paros and Chris Neil duke it out a few times.

Unlike some, I am rooting for the Sens BECAUSE they knocked off the Devils. I believe that, with the way Brodeur seems to step up in big games and the way Zach and crew were playing up until that series, that they would be tough to beat. Ottawa dispatched them cleanly (and I mean cleanly...no cheap shots... no underhandedness). They flat out outplayed the Devils.

To that effect, I could make some of the same arguments with Anaheim. They certainly didn't have the easiest trek (other than the first round...sorry Wild fans) and they aren't exactly the cleanest team in the playoffs (however, they did clean things up somewhat...but it took Pronger's suspension to do it). But Detroit was better than them and (with Lilja's help) they passed everyone by.

This isn't going to be the most "ideal" Stanley Cup finals for TV ratings (I think it would have to be all New England teams for it to be...maybe Rangers, Bruins, Pittsburgh or eastern Canadian teams like PERHAPS Toronto or Montreal for it to be decent).

But I think this will be a very good series.

Ottawa outskates, outspeeds, and outshoots Anaheim. Anaheim outhits and outgrits Ottawa. Ottawa in 6.

tv ratings :silly: sorry they barely make a blip on the radar on nbc or vs......nbc basically shows the games to be nice as that showed when they cut out at overtime on game 5 in ottawa buff game for the preakness horse race pregame :silly: .......nhl and tv is a joke..but they did it to theirselves. they shouls have told espn they would do 2 years for free with them just to keep the game somewhat visible and alive as not many have vs channel..

tv ratings :silly: sorry they barely make a blip on the radar on nbc or vs......nbc basically shows the games to be nice as that showed when they cut out at overtime on game 5 in ottawa buff game for the preakness horse race pregame :silly: .......nhl and tv is a joke..but they did it to theirselves. they shouls have told espn they would do 2 years for free with them just to keep the game somewhat visible and alive as not many have vs channel..

I never said it wasn't a joke.

The NHL is going downhill. It used to be a major sport. Now it's not even in the top 10. It's one of the reasons why the lockout was only half successful. They got Goodenow out of the game. If it was to be totally successful, Bettman should have gotten ousted as well.

The NHL is going downhill. It used to be a major sport. Now it's not even in the top 10. It's one of the reasons why the lockout was only half successful. They got Goodenow out of the game. If it was to be totally successful, Bettman should have gotten ousted as well.

agrre, it has the potential of course but if bettman is still in it doesnt stand a chance....too bad.......

I think your right, the problem is that Buttamen has got to go, he is a horrible commish. Honestly it's a shame that I

a person has to spend $160.00 to be able to watch hockey for a whole season more than two nights a week. Then NBC picks up the hockey game and ends up with the NHL's version of the Heidi game. I don't have a problem with they switching the game to Versus but not everyone has that channel. Its like this: NHL fans are treated like second class citizens and if you lived in Canada you would have tons of hockey on TV without having to buy a cable package. I think ESPN needs to get on line with TSN they are an awesome hockey channel, I also think Roger Ca is also very good too. I look at TSN and see how good ESPN could be if they weren't so stubborn about showing everything but hockey, Hence, ESPN has been degraded to the official channel of the NBA and spend hours showing replays of a sport I can't even watch. When they aren't showing Round Ball and Baseball they are showing Poker championship replays.

I think your right, the problem is that Buttamen has got to go, he is a horrible commish. Honestly it's a shame that I

a person has to spend $160.00 to be able to watch hockey for a whole season more than two nights a week. Then NBC picks up the hockey game and ends up with the NHL's version of the Heidi game. I don't have a problem with they switching the game to Versus but not everyone has that channel. Its like this: NHL fans are treated like second class citizens and if you lived in Canada you would have tons of hockey on TV without having to buy a cable package. I think ESPN needs to get on line with TSN they are an awesome hockey channel, I also think Roger Ca is also very good too. I look at TSN and see how good ESPN could be if they weren't so stubborn about showing everything but hockey, Hence, ESPN has been degraded to the official channel of the NBA and spend hours showing replays of a sport I can't even watch. When they aren't showing Round Ball and Baseball they are showing Poker championship replays.

I was listening to XM last Sunday after the Heidi game. Apparently it was the best thing to happen for Vs. Many viewers found out they didn't have the channel and started flooding their cable operators trying to find the hockey game.

$160 for NHL Center Ice is a bargain compared to $250 for NFL Sunday Ticket. Not only do you get more games, but they're not all played at the same time on the same day of the week. More for less. Dropping NFL Sunday Ticket and adding NHL Center Ice was the smartest thing I ever did with my DirecTV account.

I would love to be able to get more of these games in HD....hockey is one of the best sports in HD. The ice is so bright and clear and the puck is much more visible, it's like being there moreso than any other sport...IMO. And yes, I've been to almost every professional sport in person.

What some of the posters pay in beer, they could easily pay for NHL Center Ice. All about priorities I guess.

Also, if one wanted to watch more than the Twins, Cubs or Braves games on cable you would have to get the Baseball package as well so it's just not hockey.

I don't get it; if you ( Sioux posters, some, not all) love hockey so much, stretch those hands to the bottoms of your lint filled pockets and poney up the money for NHL Center Ice. It is worth every red cent.

I know some you like college hockey better than the NHL, but isn't the ulitmate goal of our dear UND players to have the opportunity to play in the big dance of the NHL? Ask Toews what he thinks of that.

On that note, Go Sens! :silly:

What some of the posters pay in beer, they could easily pay for NHL Center Ice.

We weren't going to start naming names were we? he, he, he... :silly:

All about priorities I guess.

Also, if one wanted to watch more than the Twins, Cubs or Braves games on cable you would have to get the Baseball package as well so it's just not hockey.

I don't get it; if you ( Sioux posters, some, not all) love hockey so much, stretch those hands to the bottoms of your lint filled pockets and poney up the money for NHL Center Ice. It is worth every red cent.

I know some you like college hockey better than the NHL, but isn't the ulitmate goal of our dear UND players to have the opportunity to play in the big dance of the NHL? Ask Toews what he thinks of that.

On that note, Go Sens! :silly:

I actually like the NHL better than college but I am a fan of both, I have had NHL Center ice for like 4-5 years. I think the thing I am complaining about is the lack of coverage in the USA on hockey, they even touched on that subject on XM-204 today. Your right it is relatively cheap to get NHL center ice. I just think it is sad that NHL hockey isn't on regular Cable like it is in Canada.

We weren't going to start naming names were we? he, he, he... :silly:

I actually like the NHL better than college but I am a fan of both, I have had NHL Center ice for like 4-5 years. I think the thing I am complaining about is the lack of coverage in the USA on hockey, they even touched on that subject on XM-204 today. Your right it is relatively cheap to get NHL center ice. I just think it is sad that NHL hockey isn't on regular Cable like it is in Canada.

I agree with you completely. Since the Wild are no longer a viable team, the Strib and Pioneer Press give the NHL coverage on page 3 or 4. Very sad for this size market. USA coverage is a joke. As I recall during my UND days in the early 70's I could get Hockey nite in Canada on my little crappy black and white TV in the dorms.

I agree with you completely. Since the Wild are no longer a viable team, the Strib and Pioneer Press give the NHL coverage on page 3 or 4. Very sad for this size market. USA coverage is a joke. As I recall during my UND days in the early 70's I could get Hockey nite in Canada on my little crappy black and white TV in the dorms.

You still can in the dorms at UND last I checked. I know I did when I was last there in 2002.

Pronger suspended, again. Watching/listening to the Ducks general manager Brian Burke is entertaining. Poor Ducks, they're getting unfairly judged on their "physical play."

"We're not a dirty team, we're a physical team," Burke said. "There's a big difference."

Yeeeah.

taz

Pronger suspended, again. Watching/listening to the Ducks general manager Brian Burke is entertaining. Poor Ducks, they're getting unfairly judged on their "physical play."

Yeeeah.

taz

Sorry Taz, but Pronger is a repeat performer and was extremely lucky to get only one game. I guess he has a free ticket to end someones career to a consussion or broken neck before he will get any substantial time off.

The one game suspension also sends a bad message, as Ottawa's third and fourth liners could take out out one of the Duck's top players if the opportunity presents itself. It would be worth a one game suspension to take out a Selanne and Niedermayer with an elbow to the chin. The NHL couldn't give the offender any more than one game after this decision.

Sorry Taz, but Pronger is a repeat performer and was extremely lucky to get only one game. I guess he has a free ticket to end someones career to a consussion or broken neck before he will get any substantial time off.

The one game suspension also sends a bad message, as Ottawa's third and fourth liners could take out out one of the Duck's top players if the opportunity presents itself. It would be worth a one game suspension to take out a Selanne and Niedermayer with an elbow to the chin. The NHL couldn't give the offender any more than one game after this decision.

Sioux Hab-it, I think Pronger should be gone the rest of the series; especially given his "play" in the earlier playoffs this season. Were you at the game? I bet the crowd was nuts after the elbow. You could tell from the TV shots of Pronger on the bench he knew he did the elbow on purpose. I understand a good physical game and hard checking but come on. Fisher could have laid the baby Getzlof out flat on the ice and chose to hold up; Getzlof would still be seeing stars.

Sioux Hab-it, I think Pronger should be gone the rest of the series; especially given his "play" in the earlier playoffs this season. Were you at the game? I bet the crowd was nuts after the elbow. You could tell from the TV shots of Pronger on the bench he knew he did the elbow on purpose. I understand a good physical game and hard checking but come on. Fisher could have laid the baby Getzlof out flat on the ice and chose to hold up; Getzlof would still be seeing stars.

Tickets are scarce and extremely pricey so I watched with the crazy crowd at city hall. The atmosphere within the city is absolutely electric.

In today's USA Today Burke was his usual self and whined that Chris Neil's check on MacDonald was just as cheap and worthy of suspension but MacDonald didn't get injured. Campbell (the NHL Personnel dude) told him to mind his own business.

Gosh, Burke-ie-poo, maybe if you weren't such a hall of fame quality whiner he would have given you more credence. Sometimes it sucks to be a whiner. Oh well, it's the Ducks' problem for hiring that guy. What a classic damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. Burke's not a bad GM in terms of assembling teams but he's not going to endear himself very well to fans and, more importantly, the league because of his legendary whining capabilities. An interesting conundrum. Ducks might not be where they are if it wasn't for Burke and they would probably be better respected by the league if they didn't have Burke. Interesting.

I stood up for Pronger in the past and now this is the second time this playoffs he's headhunted. I can't defend him anymore. The Ducks have Pronger and Moen as cheap players and the Sens have Neil and MAYBE one other. Neither team is innocent at times, but it seems that the Ducks confuse headhunting with physical play. Nice to see they are the only ones fooling themselves.

Go Sens!