SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

ahem...how about those Sens and their 4th line in last night's game....

I was ready to throw the TV out of the window when I realized that my wife paid for it. Since Stafford has been taken out of the line up the Sabres have sucked. I don't know if it was an accident. Where was Drury, invisible. I think they need to sit Gaustad and re-insert Stafford. That game sucked last night. Danny B looked horrible, the goal tending was getting bombed.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was ready to throw the TV out of the window when I realized that my wife paid for it. Since Stafford has been taken out of the line up the Sabres have sucked. I don't know if it was an accident. Where was Drury, invisible. I think they need to sit Gaustad and re-insert Stafford. That game sucked last night. Danny B looked horrible, the goal tending was getting bombed.

I hope you know I want the Sens to win the series...I have a vested interest in the team since my husband is a scout for them...but I agree with your assessment of the Sabres' play last night. Game 2 should be a way different story. I say the Sens will win in 6 games.

I hope you know I want the Sens to win the series...I have a vested interest in the team since my husband is a scout for them...but I agree with your assessment of the Sabres' play last night. Game 2 should be a way different story. I say the Sens will win in 6 games.

I figure something along those lines. I felt that Buffalo didn't have the interest in winning the game. I believe Lindy will get the boys interested or will end up snapping. Don Cherry had an interesting take last night on the coaches corner, he basically said that he was sick and tired of watching the Buffalo players complaining about the reffing and missed calls, he basically told them to shut up and play hockey. Sabres in 7 games.

I figure something along those lines. I felt that Buffalo didn't have the interest in winning the game. I believe Lindy will get the boys interested or will end up snapping. Don Cherry had an interesting take last night on the coaches corner, he basically said that he was sick and tired of watching the Buffalo players complaining about the reffing and missed calls, he basically told them to shut up and play hockey. Sabres in 7 games.

Don't you just love Don Cherry...

Guys, hate to break it to you, but I don't think this series will see 6 games the way Buffalo is playing.

Ottawa is playing solid defensively, sure, but Buffalo is helping by trying to be too cute. They are down a goal and they get a power play with around 4 minutes left to play. Too bad Ottawa didn't get the memo. Their 4 skaters outplayed Buffalo's 5.

Someone needs to let the Sabres know that you don't score any goals unless you actually try to shoot the puck AT the goaltender. Once the PP began, it took Buffalo until there was 51 seconds left in the game before Briere got an epiphany: "I can SHOOT the puck and I don't have to pass it!" Sure, it didn't go in, but it seemed to ignite the Sabres. They then pulled the goaltender and registered more shots on goal than they probably had most of the entire period. Then Briere scored on a deflection. Kudos to Briere for getting that goal. He deserved it because he realized you don't score unless the puck ends up on net regardless of how ugly or cute the play is.

WOW. This Sabres team is fast but has NOTHING to counter the Senators. I don't care if the Sabres jumped out initially to a 2-0 lead.

I agree Ottawa has been the better team, but I have a feeling Buffalo will pull this one out... hopefully in the second OT, because I may not stay awake for a third. I know I will sound like a Sioux homer, but I think Buffalo misses Staffords energy on the ice. He's lightning fast, he plays well both ways and he can score at any given time, but hey, who am I to question Lindy. Any bets on if Stafford sees the ice the rest of the playoffs?

EDIT: Nevermind, Ottawa just won it five minutes into the second OT. Buffalo loses the first two at home, pretty big hole to dig out of.

Midway through the first game, I had given my prediction to Mr. Siouxmama, of the Senators winning the series in 5 games. Now, I am hoping that the Sabres get my prediction of 1 win out of this. :ohmy:

Down 2 games to none is a hole to dig out of...BUT PUT STAFFORD BACK IN AND GO SABRES!!

Midway through the first game, I had given my prediction to Mr. Siouxmama, of the Senators winning the series in 5 games. Now, I am hoping that the Sabres get my prediction of 1 win out of this. :ohmy:

Down 2 games to none is a hole to dig out of...BUT PUT STAFFORD BACK IN AND GO SABRES!!

That's my question:

"Will Buffalo force a game 5?"

Right now, it doesn't look like it.

Their passing game is inconsistent yet they rely on it very heavily. They find themselves down goals and they don't feel any pressure to try to even the tally.

They take silly penalties (Even though the one against Campbell was rather weak) and have nothing to counter the Senator Power Play.

Look, last night I noticed that Emery had HUGE problems with rebounds, yet the Sabres only used that to their advantage ONCE (Briere's GTG). They really need to shoot the puck, force a rebound and crash the net if they are going to beat Ottawa at all.

Right now, though, this is Ottawa's series to win or lose. Buffalo isn't going anywhere.

Let put it to you this way. I am pretty sure that you have said stupider stuff than that. :lol:

True, but in this case, Lives to play is right.

Ottawa looks good and Buffalo looks like the Minnesota Wild. Keeps the games tight, but when it comes to offensive play, juuuuuuuuuust can't do it. And that's sad considering they came into this series as the best offensive team left playing and among the top scoring teams in the NHL.

True, but in this case, Lives to play is right.

Ottawa looks good and Buffalo looks like the Minnesota Wild. Keeps the games tight, but when it comes to offensive play, juuuuuuuuuust can't do it. And that's sad considering they came into this series as the best offensive team left playing and among the top scoring teams in the NHL.

Otttawa's first line has been red-hot. Their offensive output during the playoffs is amazing considering they often draw the other teams top line. They are also very under-rated defensivly: Preissing, Redden, and Phillips are all big time defensemen. Goaltending has been solid so far but Emery could easy fold up at anytime. Martin Gerber is very capable, he led the fins (I believe) to olympic gold.

Otttawa's first line has been red-hot. Their offensive output during the playoffs is amazing considering they often draw the other teams top line. They are also very under-rated defensivly: Preissing, Redden, and Phillips are all big time defensemen. Goaltending has been solid so far but Emery could easy fold up at anytime. Martin Gerber is very capable, he led the fins (I believe) to olympic gold.

Gerber is Swiss...and hasn't won gold. He did win a Swedish Elite League championship.

Yeah, and Gerber backed up the Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup finals while Miller started and took them that far (though a loss). If we're going to debate Gerber vs. Miller, you can have Gerber. I'll take Miller. He's done more as a starter in the NHL and he's much younger.

The fact is, if Buffalo played more smashmouth crashthenet shoot it until it hurts hockey and not European styled stick handling puck moving cutsy foofoo hockey, I think they'd be at least be able to do more against Ottawa, their hot first line notwithstanding. Buffalo just isn't playing well. Thank goodness for some timely defensive plays, solid Miller goaltending, and some puck luck because if it wasn't for that, Ottawa would be up 3-0 after winning 3 straight laughers.

The fact is, if Buffalo played more smashmouth crashthenet shoot it until it hurts hockey and not European styled stick handling puck moving cutsy foofoo hockey, I think they'd be at least be able to do more against Ottawa, their hot first line notwithstanding. Buffalo just isn't playing well. Thank goodness for some timely defensive plays, solid Miller goaltending, and some puck luck because if it wasn't for that, Ottawa would be up 3-0 after winning 3 straight laughers.

Buffalo has really not looked good during the playoffs.

Buffalo has really not looked good during the playoffs.

They looked alright (at times and enough times) during the Rangers series. They look flat out awful against Ottawa. It's just amazing.

Yet the Versus commentators are still gushing about Briere and Drury when they should be gushing more about Ottawa. Let's face it, you can't dress up a lemon and call it an apple. Buffalo flat out sucks right now and there's no other way to make it look any better than that.

With the most PIMs in regular season and playoffs, the Ducks organization once again embarrasses themselves in a 5-0 rout at the hands of the Red Wings. That Nieder+Pronger hit was aweful, followed by another one on Chelios. In fact, that entire second period was loathsome.

I'm sorry, but it's painful just to watch these monkeybutts. Certainly, they can dominate against Euro nancy-boys, such as the Wild and Vancouver. But their crap-ass play is of the sort that makes it difficult to explain the splendor and majesty of the NHL Cup Playoffs to a non-hockey fan. "Bunch of goons!" they say. Yeah, perhaps.

Please, Red Wings, finish taking out the trash and move on to the finals with the Sens.

taz

Yet the Versus commentators are still gushing about Briere and Drury when they should be gushing more about Ottawa. Let's face it, you can't dress up a lemon and call it an apple. Buffalo flat out sucks right now and there's no other way to make it look any better than that.

I don't know what they are going to do when the Sens close them out tonight.

The conference finals have sucked this season.

With the most PIMs in regular season and playoffs, the Ducks organization once again embarrasses themselves in a 5-0 rout at the hands of the Red Wings. That Nieder+Pronger hit was aweful, followed by another one on Chelios. In fact, that entire second period was loathsome.

I'm sorry, but it's painful just to watch these monkeybutts. Certainly, they can dominate against Euro nancy-boys, such as the Wild and Vancouver. But their crap-ass play is of the sort that makes it difficult to explain the splendor and majesty of the NHL Cup Playoffs to a non-hockey fan. "Bunch of goons!" they say. Yeah, perhaps.

Please, Red Wings, finish taking out the trash and move on to the finals with the Sens.

taz

I agree. The Ducks are the dirtiest team in hockey, and they know how to get under the opposition's skin. Detroit didn't take the bait, and unfortunately didn't score 11 goals. The Wings have so much leadership, even Bertuzzi decided not to go after any Ducks - I was amazed at the focus they had, even with a four goal lead, as I was praying that someone would take Pronger out. The Wings know this is Anaheim's MO, and refuse to go in any direction not pointed towards the Stanley Cup. Also, the Redwings are very capable vs the 1-2-2, and will be well equipped to play Ottawa, if they win the series.

I thought the Sabres were a bit too cutesy also, but mainly I felt they were trying to match-up too much and not playing their style that got them there. Stafford HAS to play this next game - they need as much offense as they can get. Usually, they wouldn't need to score first because of their high-octane offense, but they definitely have to get out the gate in a hurry. Loosen-up their collective sphincters on the PP, make smart passes, get some guys in front of the net and shoot the puck! Then try limiting the time on PK because Ottawa is the man on PP.

If Toews leaves this year, at least we'll get the satisfaction of seeing him deke Pronger out of his jock once or twice. God, I hate that guy and I hate his flowy, shiny head of hair that he waves around whenever putting on his helmet. I hate that guy.

NO STAFFORD - Sabres coach Lindy Ruff ruled out bringing rookie Drew Stafford back into the lineup. Stafford scored twice in nine games in the first two rounds, but has not seen action against Ottawa.

"He had a good year for us, but I don't think putting a young player in is the answer," said Ruff. "I think the answer lies in the room.

"We said as a team we're going to stick together on this one." :lol:

Found this on TSN. . . . . looks like Stafford won't get to play. I don't know. . . .can't be much worse than what it has been, maybe that "young player" can light a fire under the butts of Drury and Briere?!?

I agree. The Ducks are the dirtiest team in hockey, and they know how to get under the opposition's skin. Detroit didn't take the bait, and unfortunately didn't score 11 goals. The Wings have so much leadership, even Bertuzzi decided not to go after any Ducks - I was amazed at the focus they had, even with a four goal lead, as I was praying that someone would take Pronger out. The Wings know this is Anaheim's MO, and refuse to go in any direction not pointed towards the Stanley Cup. Also, the Redwings are very capable vs the 1-2-2, and will be well equipped to play Ottawa, if they win the series.

I thought the Sabres were a bit too cutesy also, but mainly I felt they were trying to match-up too much and not playing their style that got them there. Stafford HAS to play this next game - they need as much offense as they can get. Usually, they wouldn't need to score first because of their high-octane offense, but they definitely have to get out the gate in a hurry. Loosen-up their collective sphincters on the PP, make smart passes, get some guys in front of the net and shoot the puck! Then try limiting the time on PK because Ottawa is the man on PP.

If Toews leaves this year, at least we'll get the satisfaction of seeing him deke Pronger out of his jock once or twice. God, I hate that guy and I hate his flowy, shiny head of hair that he waves around whenever putting on his helmet. I hate that guy.

Pronger should have been ejected as well, with the high flying elbows. No question those two knew who they were hitting. I absolutely agree with you that Detroit played outstanding, disciplined hockey. Even Bertuzzi! Pretty much letting the Ducks self destruct. It concerned me that the Wings could not put the puck in net during their sustained power plays. Other than that, they were solid.

I'm disappointed in the Sabres (with the exception of Miller), but equally impressed with the Senators. Their game is on right now. Alfredsson is a machine out there. If the Ducks somehow manage to move on, I shall enjoy being a rabid Ottawa fan for the Cup.

I can't feel that Stafford would be the key to Buffalo winning despite the win/loss record of the Sabres in the postseason when he is in the lineup. I don't think the team is playing well right now at all (I think taz boy's term of "european nancy boys" fits Buffalo at the moment as well). One player doesn't make all the difference in the world otherwise Pittsburgh would have won two straight Stanley Cups.

Buffalo just doesn't have what it takes. Lindy expects players to step up and he's half right. They do need to step up, but so do the coaches. This isn't DI or MJ hockey where coaches are restrained by external forces and the youth of the team. These guys are supposedly the best that organization has to put on the ice. Therefore, when things aren't going well, they need to make adjustments and that HASN'T been done offensively.

Regarding Anaheim: I don't know if they are necessarily the cheapest team in the NHL. Being good at getting under the opponent's skins isn't cheap. They do a lot of things really well. I doubt what happened against Johnsson or what happened last night was scripted. I can't believe Carlyle would be pleased with that performance last night at all.

Cheap is Popovic (or whoever) saying Robert Horry's foul was just an end of the game foul where Nash fell down. Losing control of one's self discipline (what the commentator's seem to call "frustration") is another.

That being said, Red Wings go on to play Ottawa. And I believe Ottawa has a real chance of beating the Red Wings too. The Red Wings have a tendency to try to stick handle their way to the goal like Buffalo does and well, that doesn't seem to work too well against Ottawa.

That being said, Red Wings go on to play Ottawa. And I believe Ottawa has a real chance of beating the Red Wings too. The Red Wings have a tendency to try to stick handle their way to the goal like Buffalo does and well, that doesn't seem to work too well against Ottawa.

I don't think I have ever rooted for the Wings until this series. I hope your right about them advancing, but I think the Ducks are far from done. They seemed like the better team for much of games one and two, but obviously they stunk last night. Hopefully that goalie has cracked and is beyond repair.