SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Name Issues Send Student Packing.

Goon

From the Dakota Student

Here is a guy that like the Schools use of the name Fighting Sioux nick name so he quit.

Former University Apartments Senator Gary LaPointe recently resigned from his position and withdrew from UND in an effort to make a point concerning his view on the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, he told The Dakota Student last week.

In a letter addressed to Student Government and select UND administrators, LaPointe said, "I have tried for years to educate people on the issue and do it (in) a positive way, but I can no longer fund this institution with my tuition."

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for him. At least he's "put his money where his mouth is", or taking it away. Which goes against the grain perpetuated by those hypocritical faculty and staff members who blather about how "bad" UND is for using its name/logo, and yet continue to draw their paychecks.

In a letter addressed to Student Government and select UND administrators, LaPointe said, "I have tried for years to educate people on the issue and do it (in) a positive way, but I can no longer fund this institution with my tuition."
Would he only consider himself successful if he were to completely change everybody's opinion to think that the nickname IS hostile and/or abusive?

LaPointe countered in his resignation letter by calling out UND President Charles Kupchella in saying, "Regardless of what the president of the university says about the positive use of the logo and name on campus it still creates a hostile community, whether implied or not."

I'd be curious to see/hear examples of the so-called "hostile community" that the nickname perpetuates.

According to LaPointe, the Sioux nation is comprised of several tribes. Some members of the Spirit Lake Tribe have expressed support for the name, but LaPointe dismisses that as a small group of people trying to speak for the masses.
It could also be said that it's a small group that opposes the name that is speaking for masses. I don't know the answer to that, and I'm sure many here don't, but from other word-of-mouth that I've heard, it's the latter, rather than the former.

He added, "I don't know of one Sioux Tribe that is completely for the name."

Does he know of one Sioux Tribe that is completely AGAINST the name?

LaPointe said, "I have tried for years to educate people on the issue ... "

Gary, dude, you did educate many on this issue.

You got many to think about it, and the arguments pro and con, and to decide for themselves. <-- True education.

What you didn't accomplish was cajoling the majority to your point of view. <-- Indoctrination.

Was your goal education, or indoctrination?

He added, "I don't know of one Sioux Tribe that is completely for the name."

The logic of this statement completely escapes me. Is there any group that is completely for or against anything ? Is he implying that if one, and only one, person objects to the use of the name it should be changed ?

Good luck in the future and I do respect you for standing up for what you believe...I don't agree with you but I can respect your position. I have yet to see anything that relates to a hostile environment due to the nickname. I lived in GF for 21 years, went to school there and return often for hockey.

Now, how do we get some of the faculty to follow his lead. ;)

Would he only consider himself successful if he were to completely change everybody's opinion to think that the nickname IS hostile and/or abusive?

I'd be curious to see/hear examples of the so-called "hostile community" that the nickname perpetuates.

It could also be said that it's a small group that opposes the name that is speaking for masses. I don't know the answer to that, and I'm sure many here don't, but from other word-of-mouth that I've heard, it's the latter, rather than the former.

Does he know of one Sioux Tribe that is completely AGAINST the name?
You pretty much punch holes right through his argument. Nice work.

Does that mean he can no longer use UND's computing system for .... whatever.

Where's Sioux-Cia, I'd have thought she'd have something to say? Oh, yeah, she doesn't have access to a computer right now. I think I know what she'd say, I guess I could try to post something for her...

Where's Sioux-Cia, I'd have thought she'd have something to say? Oh, yeah, she doesn't have access to a computer right now. I think I know what she'd say, I guess I could try to post something for her...

DUH!! Now I know why the name is familiar. I think she would send out a big...no HUGE "Dont let the door hit you in the azz on the way out" :)

She will see this soon enough and reply herself. ;)

I really do have to question as to the newsworthiness of a single student dropping out of school for whatever reason. I'm sure every student on campus has at least a few beefs with the UND administration and some of those may have been enough in the past to get a few students to choose to leave. You'll find such things at every campus, but I'd say the Dakota Student dedicating a news article to it is a waste of time. Losing a single student such as this is no more newsworthy than if I were to quit school next to week due to UND traffic departments insistence on ticketing my vehicle when I park illegally. Sure the guy took up his cause even when it wasn't the popular one, but when you decide to quit when you don't get your way the school paper shouldn't memorialize your exit with a front page article.

I really do have to question as to the newsworthiness of a single student dropping out of school for whatever reason. I'm sure every student on campus has at least a few beefs with the UND administration and some of those may have been enough in the past to get a few students to choose to leave. You'll find such things at every campus, but I'd say the Dakota Student dedicating a news article to it is a waste of time. Losing a single student such as this is no more newsworthy than if I were to quit school next to week due to UND traffic departments insistence on ticketing my vehicle when I park illegally. Sure the guy took up his cause even when it wasn't the popular one, but when you decide to quit when you don't get your way the school paper shouldn't memorialize your exit with a front page article.

If this guy was truly working on his MBA I would be very surprised if he was doing well academically. Why not finish the semester and then quit? You make the same point and you have a half semester of credits to transfer elsewhere. Doesn't make sense regardless of his opinions of the school and environment. He did his undergrad here, so he didn't just learn about the Sioux issue.

I'm wondering how the newspeople found out about his "resignation"...here's betting that old Nabisco breath is 25 cents poorer. Just another publicity stunt to keep it in the news and make it appear to the public that a majority oppose the current Fighting Sioux name.

Forum Communications eats stories like this up and attempts to show that he represents a large portion of his people, although we know that he does not. He doesn't even say this. Instead he says that all don't support it. I agree with those who question why 100 percent have to agree with the name for it to remain viable. To me, that is completely ridiculous and another example of the minority attempting to rule the majority through administrative or judicial means rather than popular vote...

Next time one of us disagrees with the politics of one of our bosses, let's call the D.S., and TV and Radio and see if we can get on to air our personal and unpopular, minority viewpoints...

I'm wondering how the newspeople found out about his "resignation"...here's betting that old Nabisco breath is 25 cents poorer. Just another publicity stunt to keep it in the news and make it appear to the public that a majority oppose the current Fighting Sioux name.

Forum Communications eats stories like this up and attempts to show that he represents a large portion of his people, although we know that he does not. He doesn't even say this. Instead he says that all don't support it. I agree with those who question why 100 percent have to agree with the name for it to remain viable. To me, that is completely ridiculous and another example of the minority attempting to rule the majority through administrative or judicial means rather than popular vote...

Next time one of us disagrees with the politics of one of our bosses, let's call the D.S., and TV and Radio and see if we can get on to air our personal and unpopular, minority viewpoints...

WDAZ and the DS normally cover Student Senate meetings, so if it was annouced there they would have found out about it and I am sure that it was discussed on Sunday at the meeting.

I was curious if some of you read the rules and conduct when you signed up to be on this website. Because what I'm gathering, is that some of us forgot what those rules were.

As for Mr. LaPointe, it was a personal choice that he decided on his own. Not a publicity stunt. Not some organization has asked him to withdraw. And he's not the first student to make this decision. He's just the one that was extremely active in the opposition of the use of the nickname. I would just suggest quit being so condemming. He stood up for something he believed in and I'm sure there is more to this story than what the media puts out there. I've been in the media before and they definitely put in what they wanted to (not anything to do with UND sports or nickname), but by the media's editing, the story or point did not come across the way it should. People are misrepresented all the time in media.

I'm sure he was one of many that is tired of getting harassed and not being able to concentrate on his education at UND. Mr. LaPointe is a very educated person, and I hope he chooses to continue with Grad school elsewhere.

We all have things to learn as we go through life. And maturity is definitely something I'm seeing from all sides of this debate.

I would venture a guess that maybe he was getting harrassed because of his viewpoint on the nickname. I would think it would be interesting to hear how he came about coming to UND and then over the years reaching his opinion and belief. I would also like to hear the instances of hostile and abusive behavior. This isn't a challenge to him, I would simply like to hear what he would cite.

I would venture a guess that maybe he was getting harrassed because of his viewpoint on the nickname. I would think it would be interesting to hear how he came about coming to UND and then over the years reaching his opinion and belief. I would also like to hear the instances of hostile and abusive behavior. This isn't a challenge to him, I would simply like to hear what he would cite.

Do a search for "grahamkracker's" posts. Read them and then you'll know more about the harrassment he said that he endured at UND.