SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Name Issues Send Student Packing.

Goon

I would venture a guess that maybe he was getting harrassed because of his viewpoint on the nickname. I would think it would be interesting to hear how he came about coming to UND and then over the years reaching his opinion and belief. I would also like to hear the instances of hostile and abusive behavior. This isn't a challenge to him, I would simply like to hear what he would cite.

Well I can't speak for him. But when I was a student at UND, I had many things happen in different places. What hurt the most was in the ba department, I had an instructor who refused to speak comfortably around me like the other students until one day he seen me wear a F.S. sweatshirt. Then he said, "Oh, I wasn't sure if you were comfortable with the nickname." From then on, class was a piece of cake. I felt it was unfair to be treated poorly in the beginning, but then treated even more poorly (by ease of class). I eventually switched majors, but that definitely made me see how ridiculous people behave when in comes to the issue.

I actually tried printing a memoir in the Herald and they declined to print it. It was just to represent one American Indian/Native American student's experiences at UND.

I do know Gary LaPointe, not well, but I do know him. I also know there's definitely more than what is being said. However, he shouldn't have to succumb to demands of telling what's gone on. Many things are documented I am sure at UND. It would be up to them to make them public. And I'm sure they won't.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually tried printing a memoir in the Herald and they declined to print it. It was just to represent one American Indian/Native American student's experiences at UND.

You could post it here. I'd be interested to read your perspective.

I was curious if some of you read the rules and conduct when you signed up to be on this website. Because what I'm gathering, is that some of us forgot what those rules were.

As for Mr. LaPointe, it was a personal choice that he decided on his own. Not a publicity stunt. Not some organization has asked him to withdraw. And he's not the first student to make this decision. He's just the one that was extremely active in the opposition of the use of the nickname. I would just suggest quit being so condemming. He stood up for something he believed in and I'm sure there is more to this story than what the media puts out there. I've been in the media before and they definitely put in what they wanted to (not anything to do with UND sports or nickname), but by the media's editing, the story or point did not come across the way it should. People are misrepresented all the time in media.

I'm sure he was one of many that is tired of getting harassed and not being able to concentrate on his education at UND. Mr. LaPointe is a very educated person, and I hope he chooses to continue with Grad school elsewhere.

We all have things to learn as we go through life. And maturity is definitely something I'm seeing from all sides of this debate.

For what he did to a friend of mine here on ss.com, he wasn't sent packing soon enough. I too, hope he chooses to continue with grad school elsewhere.

I rest my case about the unwelcome feeling people give off in the GF community and at UND campus.

Before you judge to quickly and too harshly, are you familiar with what the poster known at "grahamkracker" did to a member of this community?

Before you judge to quickly and too harshly, are you familiar with what the poster known at "grahamkracker" did to a member of this community?

Well my apologies, I follow UND sports from afar. I attend games when I can. I've read these boards from time to time, but not religiously. So I edited my comment. I did mean 'can' in there. I love this town, but the animosity here just makes a lot of people feel unwelcomed. Whether intended or not.

I'm not sure who grahamkracker is? Are the actions something that can be repeated? You've caused me to want to know. ;)

I rest my case about the unwelcome feeling people can give off in the GF community and at UND campus.

That would be my reply regardless of who it was that did that. I will welcome anyone to the GF community who deserves a welcome. If they happen to mess with my family or friends, they arent so welcome anymore.

I would venture a guess that maybe he was getting harrassed because of his viewpoint on the nickname. I would think it would be interesting to hear how he came about coming to UND and then over the years reaching his opinion and belief. I would also like to hear the instances of hostile and abusive behavior. This isn't a challenge to him, I would simply like to hear what he would cite.

i do know that my sophomore year of college (01-02), he was my ra and was against the nickname. he wasn't as vocal about it, but i do know he didn't like it.

Its one thing to be vocal and have an opinion and stand for it. I respect him for that, just as I respect other members that have posted their opinions on here regarding this issue. I completely disrespect his approach, especially in the manner that he displayed it here on SS.com. undsportsfan, I respectfully suggest that you read some of the archives regarding grahamkracker before you jump on the other posters here. And the illegal act he did here on SS.com is completely assinine and uncalled for and his departure from UND is NOT newsworthy. Good old GF media. ;)

GK always shed more heat than light on this board regarding the Sioux nickname and the "drama" of his announcement is just another example of that. Too bad the herald and 'daz didn't have a clue about his identity theft CLEARLY AIMED at enflaming tensions...and I have personal knowlege of that because I was the one he was trying to light up...maybe he could have explained THAT on TV and the newspaper ;)

WDAZ and the DS normally cover Student Senate meetings, so if it was annouced there they would have found out about it and I am sure that it was discussed on Sunday at the meeting.

Being a student senator myself; it was not mentioned at senate on sunday....all was mentioned that he has resigned because he left school and in turn the university apartments senator position is open. If anyone would like to read this "letter" he sent to all of student goverment private message me.

I love this town, but the animosity here just makes a lot of people feel unwelcomed. Whether intended or not.

I'm not sure who grahamkracker is? Are the actions something that can be repeated? You've caused me to want to know. ;)

I'm not sure what animosity you speak of. I've grown up and lived in ND my entire life. There is nothing in GF that is any different than the rest of the state. I'm not sure where you grew up so maybe you are new to the people of this area and don't understand them. In the example of an experience you had, you say the professor was treating you differently, and you think that is unfair. I say that is a professor trying to respect you until he/she fully understands you. This is how most people are raised to behave around people they do not know. I would not use the N word around any african-american under any context unless I knew that person and he understood that I meant nothing derogatory from it. I also would not discuss slavery with him/her unless I knew it was a topic that he/she was willing to discuss. It is called common courtesy, and I believe is the right way to act around people we don't know.

Also, when you go around looking for animosity, it is very easy to find. As the saying goes, "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it." If I were Pro-Choice, and went to an abortion clinic to fight against the pro-life crowd, I would probably come away thinking that the pro-life people are a bunch of hate-filled, hostile and abusive people, when in all reality, they just have strong opinions about a certain issue. I guaruntee I could go have a coffee with most of these people and I would find that they are all pretty decent people that I could be friends with. This is where LaPointe faltered. He believed that you were either against the nickname or otherwise a hostile, abusive, racist, stupid, worthless hick of a person. And this is what got him into trouble. Just as in the above scenario, most of us for the nickname are not bad people. We respect what Lapointe had to say, but just don't agree with him. I would also venture to say his in your face approach to getting the name changed created many of the "hostile" encounters he says he experienced here. If I throw paint on someone wearing fur to prove a point, I expect that person to come back at me, either physically or with words. LaPointe didn't see it this way. He thought he could behave in any way possible, and those that retaliated were in the wrong. The end doesn't always justify the means...which leads me to my next point-

LaPointe=GrahamKracker. GrahamKracker=guilty of Identity Theft. Using simple math, if A=B, and B=C, then A=C. I won't take it any farther than that out of respect for the other posters here and not knowing their wishes on the subject. Knowing he is guilty of such a crime, it is hard to respect the man in any way, shape, or form since he lost all respect from us posters that know what he did. Once again, end doesn't always justify the means.

That's about all I have to say. Later.

Thank you PCM and others for connecting the dots. I did not realize that this student was GK. I did follow his posts. I would generally agree that an individual should not have to publicly reveal specific circumstances, except in this case. In this case, the individual could not carry on a logical debate and resorted to the hostile and abusive attitude of which he accused others. In my view, his only remaining support for his position would have been to cite the particular circumstances, which he never did.

I read what you mentioned. I don't agree with what he had done as far as getting into a person's account.

Unfortunately the debate brings out a lot of bad on all sides when a person is really passionate about it. Every person confronts the situation differently, and I'm sure there's never a right way. It's all a very unfortunate situation, but if perhaps we displayed more sensitivity to the issue and to those who oppose it, a more civil way of coming up with a decision on the matter can happen. Many native students get completely tired of the situation, regardless of how they feel, and wish it would be over with so that they don't have to have it doesn't have to be thrown in their face on occassion. I'm not here to change anyone's minds or anything like that. But I'm trying to be devils advocate I suppose. I know what its like to be a UND student just trying to get educated but many people get so caught up in this debate that even the professors stop doing what they are supposed be doing, and focus on the 'issue' in its class, as one woman phrased it to me after a racist comment was made towards native americans and myself. I know the majority of UND sports fans don't intend any harm or racism, but it just happens. UND definitely attempts to make people aware of their negative behaviors, etc, I think thats great. But if we can control opposing teams and those loud lewd people at games, sports bars etc, that's where you start getting that offensive behavior. And many people just want it to stop being towards Native Americans.

I apologize for not responding to everyone. I have recieved lots of comments, etc. But I can't get to all of them, and I can't read everything I"m asked or told to. Perhaps I'll try to if I have more time to allow that, but I don't right now.

have a great day.

As a former resident in the University Apartment community, it saddens me to see that those people were brainwashed enough to elect LaPointe.

And, before anyone calls me on it, it has nothing to do with ethnicity. It has everything to do with what a position on the Senate is supposed to entail. He's not on the Student senate to represent HIS viewpoint. He's on the Senate to represent his constituency. Did the UA community vote in favor of opposing the nickname? If that was a campaign platform and the community was behind it, fine. But if this was one of those things that he did an "oh by the way" once elected, then shame on him!

And, sorry again, if LaPointe truly is GK, then the claim that it wasn't a publicity stunt doesn't hold a lot of water. If LaPointe truly was as harrassed as he claims he has been, I'm POSITIVE he wouldn't have even applied here for grad school if he went here for undergrad and if he didn't go here for undergrad, then I'm certain he would have left soon after he began. The fact that he was active simply means that he's an activist type mentality. That's fine. Good for him. But he is what I'd term as a borderline hostile activist. He's not completely hostile as he hasn't resorted to violence, but he's borderline because he will use identity theft and turnabout methods (This is racist so I'm going to treat you like racists by being racist right back) to try to prove his point.

It never fails me to read commentary where, just because you disagree with a minority, it makes you a racist. If people put their ethnicity before an issue, even if the issue may have something to do with the ethnicity, there really isn't any room for discussion or compromise. If the majority comes forward and states their views, that only makes them more racist. It appears to be the minority's way or the highway, if the majority wishes not to be racist. And that seems hostile and abusive to me.

Maybe he'll wind up at SCCC and will witness my counter protesting when he and the other fools "demonstrate" before the games. It will probably be too cold for them in early March though. The "nickname bad, PC good" crowd, of which this guy is a member, do not believe in free speech, freedom of expression or education. When it comes to any of these, absolutism is the coin of the realm with such people. It really is a sheer tragedy that he will no longer vouchsafe the rest of the UND community with his physical presence or his money, the latter likely being grant money or financial aid. I guess we'll have to consult with Uncle Sam about that aspect of the matter.

From the Dakota Student

Here is a guy that like the Schools use of the name Fighting Sioux nick name so he quit.

Total Bu11$hit!!! His hacking into my SS.com account and his actions when in my account were NOT a positive way to 'educate people'. It was deceitful, racist, and theivery (sp). I'm more inclined to believe that he couldn't 'hack' graduate school and this is his way of dropping out 'with face'.

The Dakota Student and the Grand Forks Herald both declined to publish my account of his actions even though I protected his identitiy and only referred to him as 'GrahamKracker'. I'm going to resubmit.

Unfortunately the debate brings out a lot of bad on all sides when a person is really passionate about it. Every person confronts the situation differently, and I'm sure there's never a right way.
Yes, there can be a right way.

UND definitely attempts to make people aware of their negative behaviors, etc, I think thats great. But if we can control opposing teams and those loud lewd people at games, sports bars etc, that's where you start getting that offensive behavior. And many people just want it to stop being towards Native Americans.

The point's been made here many times. When you see people cheering in a certain way at a sporting event, you have to realize this is about the sports team, not about any certain culture.

As I wasn't an member when GrahamKracker was still active. So I was sort of lost in what you guys were talking about. Now that I have read some of the archives... All I can simply say is Wow. This guy needs help from a professional and that is no joke... I know I have strong feelings over certain things but come on.

[rant]

I think that the first thing that people should do when they're trying to educate people about a certain topic, is to not put them on the defensive from the get go. How are you going to teach someone something by calling them stupid right off the bat or telling them that they will never understand something because they aren't a certain race or sex or they don't worship the "right" higher power?

I often tell my children that they are intelligent. I figure if they hear it enough, they will believe it and try harder. (not that they are stupid, but I want to make sure that they get the most out of life and be able to do whatever they choose to do) I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I think what I'm trying to get here- is that if you have higher expectations for someone, they are going to rise to the occasion, rather than settle for what they may be given.

I don't know why I even put this in this thread- I'm sure there is a point somewhere. People can do whatever they want in life. They can settle for what has been given to them, or they can rise to the occasion and make their lives better. I've quit a lot of things in my life, some of which I regret, some of which opened other doors for me and have made my life more rewarding and more successful.

I, like may people, choose to get out of bed everyday and push aside people that have said I can't do something, or that I won't succeed, and prove them wrong.

People who blame others because they didn't succeed are cowards. It's easy to point the finger at someone else and say- because of you I couldn't do this when they can't hack it. No one can change your life except you.

[/rant]

EDITED TO ADD- If you want something bad enough in life, no one is going to prevent you from getting it.