SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Name Issues Send Student Packing.

Goon

Today, UND and the NCAA were in court, and as usual, this issue continues to get in the way of our students' rights to an educational environment free of intimidation and the stress that goes with being American Indian at UND.

Here we go. :lol:

And you came here with no agenda? :lol:

The courthouse is all the way downtown. It shouldn't have had any effect on your learning environment today. That is, unless you didn't go to class. :silly:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go. :lol:

And you came here with no agenda? :lol:

The courthouse is all the way downtown. It shouldn't have had any effect on your learning environment today. That is, unless you didn't go to class. :silly:

Let me add some thoughts. I believe the person who posts under the name "undsports fan" has tried to make some intelligent points about how he or she feels. I do not believe that person is our pal Graham Kracker.

I don't think it matters whether or not I understand right now but he or she and many of their friends are feeling this issue defines them and it shouldn't. Like many who have overcome adversity, they do not want to be defined by the "Fighting Sioux" issue. They are proud of the hard work they have put in to even get to college. When you don't have parents neighbors, brothers, sisters or cousins that have made this journey it can be intimidating. This issue is very unsettling for some. Yes, I realize there are programs that they can take advantage of but at least at UND, being American Indian doesn't mean a free ride. (I used to work as the Director of High School Relations at UND and at least it didn't used to be that way). Frankly, it has nothing to do with the Fighting Sioux issue anyway. There are assistance programs for lots of different groups. (We even had academic scholarships at the Sigma Chi Fraternity if you could stay above a 2.5)

I still support maintaining the Fighting Sioux name, but if this is a UND student, why not make him or her feel welcome to post their opinion. Maybe we might obtain a little more insight into the group that supports change. Unless we can figure out a way to work with them and try to find a way to compromise the opposition on the reservations is only bound to increase and I hate to see that happen.

Ira

I wanted to see GK's racist comments and did a search. All I could find were posts between Sioux-cia and GK and others and GK about the hacking. Is there a way to view his previous inflammatory ramblings or have they been deleted off the site. Perhaps there is another way of searching that goes back further? I was not posting/viewing on this board when they were issued but I'd be interested in looking at them. Help?

You have to go back quite a bit. GK was banned from this forum March 2006. Go back to about page 11 or 12 in the Sioux name threads. His mental health (IMHO) guickly deteriorates as can easily be seen in reading his posts from begining to end. Fortunately, many of his more disgusting posts were deleted. Few of us were safe from his tirades.

UND has a higher percentage of Native American students and programs than most institutions of higher learning in the entire United States. Yes, most of the money to implement and maintain those programs and scholarships/grants come from sources outside of North Dakota, i.e. federal money. But the programs and funds are here, at the University of North Dakota. Other institutions have the same opportunity to seek federal money for the same programs and scholarships/grants but choose not to. South Dakota, Minnesota, Montana and other institutions of higher learning in North Dakota choose not to have the same or more Native American programs/grants/scholarships than UND does. No matter how you phrase it, when all is said and done, it's the University of North Dakota that has provided an environment where those Native American programs are thriving and has provided a place for Native Americans to fullfill their goals of a higher education. Not in spite of or because of the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but because it's the right thing to do in the state in which the school is located.

The Fighting Sioux name and logo belong to the school's athletes. Students can choose to support those athletic programs and athletes or not support them. Their decision will not affect their education unless they choose to let it.

When an organization such as the NC$$ oversteps it's authority and decides it will be the moral conscious of it's membership, it's important, it's mandatory that they be stopped. This country is not a dictatorship and no one has the right to impose their idea of political correctness on anyone else. UND may some day choose to change it's name and logo but today is not that day.

This is a very important issue to members of SiouxSports.com and members are going to respond strongly when someone comes on with an opposing view point. In some cases it may not be in the most tactful manner; but to quote a famous movie coach, 'NOT IN MY HOUSE'!!!!! :lol:

UND has a higher percentage of Native American students and programs than most institutions of higher learning in the entire United States. Yes, most of the money to implement and maintain those programs and scholarships/grants come from sources outside of North Dakota, i.e. federal money. But the programs and funds are here, at the University of North Dakota. Other institutions have the same opportunity to seek federal money for the same programs and scholarships/grants but choose not to. South Dakota, Minnesota, Montana and other institutions of higher learning in North Dakota choose not to have the same or more Native American programs/grants/scholarships than UND does. No matter how you phrase it, when all is said and done, it's the University of North Dakota that has provided an environment where those Native American programs are thriving and has provided a place for Native Americans to fullfill their goals of a higher education. Not in spite of or because of the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but because it's the right thing to do in the state in which the school is located.

The Fighting Sioux name and logo belong to the school's athletes. Students can choose to support those athletic programs and athletes or not support them. Their decision will not affect their education unless they choose to let it.

When an organization such as the NC$$ oversteps it's authority and decides it will be the moral conscious of it's membership, it's important, it's mandatory that they be stopped. This country is not a dictatorship and no one has the right to impose their idea of political correctness on anyone else. UND may some day choose to change it's name and logo but today is not that day.

This is a very important issue to members of SiouxSports.com and members are going to respond strongly when someone comes on with an opposing view point. In some cases it may not be in the most tactful manner; but to quote a famous movie coach, 'NOT IN MY HOUSE'!!!!! :lol:

Once again I must say to you, Very Well Put. That about wraps it up.

Thank you Siouxcia. I'll go back and see if I can dig up GK's posts. About the posts concerning people being so distraught over the name that they can't focus on classes/studies, give me a break! What they are disturbed by is that they are not able to get their way and impose their minority view on others..just yet. They then probably obsess about not being deferred to and just become enraged. There is something in that disturbed PC mentality that creates a right or entitlement regarding the supposed enlightenment of their views. They seem to think that everyone should just bow down and that if they scream loudly enough and impugn the legitimacy of the opposing side's arguments with idiotic tactics a la GK, people will just back down and they will get their way. Has anyone heard of the term "low-core aggressive"? That's exactly what a lot of these people are. As far as reservation opposition, I think that it has been established that a minority of NA's are actually bothered by the name. The "hostile learning atmosphere" preventing us from learning argument is really trite and banal. Like I've said before, it's no wonder that such types (see several college professors at UND) stay hunkered down in the university setting because such garbage is not tolerated elsewhere.

Thank you Siouxcia. I'll go back and see if I can dig up GK's posts. About the posts concerning people being so distraught over the name that they can't focus on classes/studies, give me a break! What they are disturbed by is that they are not able to get their way and impose their minority view on others..just yet. They then probably obsess about not being deferred to and just become enraged. There is something in that disturbed PC mentality that creates a right or entitlement regarding the supposed enlightenment of their views. They seem to think that everyone should just bow down and that if they scream loudly enough and impugn the legitimacy of the opposing side's arguments with idiotic tactics a la GK, people will just back down and they will get their way. Has anyone heard of the term "low-core aggressive"? That's exactly what a lot of these people are. As far as reservation opposition, I think that it has been established that a minority of NA's are actually bothered by the name. The "hostile learning atmosphere" preventing us from learning argument is really trite and banal. Like I've said before, it's no wonder that such types (see several college professors at UND) stay hunkered down in the university setting because such garbage is not tolerated elsewhere.

Apparently there is a god given right in society to not be offended an no matter how small that number of offended is they should be able to dictate if a name or something is changed so not to offend someone. I sick of this B.S. I just don't get it.

I like it. Well put.

This is a very important issue to members of SiouxSports.com and members are going to respond strongly when someone comes on with an opposing view point. In some cases it may not be in the most tactful manner; but to quote a famous movie coach, 'NOT IN MY HOUSE'!!!!! :D

Amen!

Yup, that about covers it all.

-cia, as usual, I applaud you!