SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

HockeyMom

I don't think anyone is going to ride anyone out of town. The new guy hopefully will do a good job. People are hearing good things about him.

To comment that those who supported Steve Johnson are part of a "good ol boy fan club", shows a real lack of understanding. Steve is a proven, successful coach and has ties to UND which are very valuable when it comes to raising money and garnering support for the team. Women's hockey is part of UND athletics and needs to do a better job of raising money and increasing donations as well as pulling its own weight. I understand it won't be the same as the men's program. I am saying it needs to do better. Many of us are UND sports fans and want to see women's hockey succeed. We want track and baseball and basketball etc. to succeed. Steve Johnson should have been interviewed. The best person should have been hired and maybe that is the guy they hired. UND can't expect Alumni and former athletes to always step to the plate if they show no loyalty to UND alumni in return. That is the crux of the matter. He deserved an interview based on his success, his experience as a coach and because he is part of the UND family, he needed to be given the benefit of the doubt.

It seems to me the group that pushed so hard to get women's hockey is not as strong nor as vocal as it had been. They should be a bigger group with more funds to donate and more supportive now than ever. I don't see that occuring.

In the meantime, the new coach is hopefully going to do a great job and the hiring is done. No sense making love to a dead horse. (Unless of course you attend or graduated from the Ag college, but that is not appropriate discussion for this forum).

While I have no doubt that Steve is a great coach, his record in the USHL speaks for itself, he has never coached women's hockey or recruited a woman to play hockey. That had to be considered in the whole process. You are right, an interview would have been appropriate, just like Craig Smith should have gotten an interview last spring when we were looking for a mens basketball coach. Why this administration makes some the decisions it does I have no idea. It is disturbing.

My point is simply this; where was this energy and enthusiasm the last 4 years for womens hockey? The decision is made and everything will come out in the wash. Lets stop talking about what could have been and support the new guy.

One other question; Did Steve get an interview from Hakstol when Berry left? Did he apply for the job filled by Dane Jackson? I guess that's 2 questions.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-25-2

:(

No Sioux fan should ever predict that record on any of it's teams.

Regardless of how much you don't like a coach or an ad, the season is about the athletes. There are 21+ members of the women's hockey team that give their heart and soul to the University and the program. Cut them some slack.

It is time to stop the negativity and support the coach and team. I had the chance to watch part of the women's world championships in Winnipeg, and there are distinct differences between men's and women's hockey and the strategies. Obviously, someone who hasn't coached women's hockey should pick up on this over time, the question is how long it will take.

I find it interesting that some of those who are criticizing the UND coach selection processes are arguing both sides of the argument. On one hand, Craig Smith from NAIA Mayville State should have gotten a basketball interview at UND, a school going to Division I. Yet some of those same people are discounting Idalski's performance at NCAA Division III, disparaging it as lower level. Can't have it both ways.

A lot of things go into consideration and those of us outside the process certainly don't know the whole train of thought or what took place, or how people came across in telephone or face-to-face interviews. Whatever the situation is, it is time to support the choice and the team to the full extent possible. It almost seems like some people are hoping for failure. Not the way to treat a Fighting Sioux team at any sport.

:)

Regardless of how much you don't like a coach or an ad, the season is about the athletes. There are 21+ members of the women's hockey team that give their heart and soul to the University and the program. Cut them some slack.

I don't know. Proudsioux has an agenda, and alcohol is a major part of it. That's all I think of when I read his posts.

Buning has done a pretty good job so far. The tough part is yet to come, I admit, but I think he's doing alright.

I don't know what Idalski will do with the team, but I'm highly doubtful that he could do worse than Rivard, regardless of how hard she worked or how nice a person she is or is not.

:)

Da## right. Thank you for saying it.

I had mentioned this in another thread, but was too lazy to dig through and find this thread so now that it appears on the main page, I'll add it here as well.

Regarding poor attendance at the women's games... have they ever considered doing a double header with a men's game? Something along the lines of the semi-finals at the regional. Have the women play at 4 and the men play at 7. I know that there are some Saturdays in which both teams play, and I've attended those games, but then you are required to leave the arena and return later for the mens game... why can't we just stay there and watch another game? Seems like it would be something that the athletic department could at least try and see if it works at all...

• 2 weeks later...

At least they didn't hire a woman, don't know much about the new coach but I guarantee you, if you asked any former players they'd say Colontino should have gotten the job. If he was the coach from the start, the program would be headed in a completely different direction that its in now.

So you did get that new Kevlar-lined jacket for Christmas .... :ohmy:

It's probably just as well that's he's already graduated. It's unlikely Dirty'd be getting one of those new Engelstad "late-bloomer" scholarships. :silly:

I think they should've hired a woman. They could've paid her less since they aren't as smart or wily.

The bigger problem is that women are just too emotional. They fold under pressure; not having what it takes to be a winner.

Example...

22337.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the St.Cloud area and SCSU was very sad to see Brian go. With the new coaches at UND I think they have the makings for some very good things in the future. I'm already planning a few road trips to see the Womens team in action in Mankato and going up to GF to see them there too. Go Sioux

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Out of the 3 early signees, there was 2 forwards, and one Defenseman. I don't know much about Miles, but she looks like she has good numbers. Sell was playing in ND, but her numbers were definately impressive. Had the privilage to watch her play a few times, and she has hands that I haven't seen in girls hockey. Needs to get a little faster so she can use them, but hopefully that will come with playing at a higher level.

Edit: Did Monique and Jocelyn sign LOI's, or was it still only verbal?

They were juniors at S-SM last season and HS juniors can't sign a national letter of intent.

Now, I forget the exacts on this so I need some help:

Were they eligible to sign a letter during this summer (after junior year) or do they have to wait until their senior year has started and sign during the one-week period in November or after?