SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

HockeyMom

Have a hard time believing Steve wants to coach women's hockey. He has been at the near top of men's hockey in the USHL. Why go backwards now? Can a guy go from women's college coaching to mens? Rarely happens in hoops, why would it work in hockey?

I can't imagine Johnson would've applied for the job if he didn't want it. He has had success every level he has coached at. UND would be very fortunate to land him.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I freely admit that I was hoping Steve Johnson would get the job. For one thing, I think his name recognition would have sold tickets. Secondly, I believe the chances of the Lamoureux twins re-opening their recruitment and giving UND strong consideration would have been good.

The most troubling thing to me about this entire process is exactly what prompted Johnson to apply in the first place. I have reason to believe he was strongly encouraged to do so by somebody in a position of authority or considerable influence. Rumors were flying nearly a month ago that the job was Johnson's. I know there were some in the local sports media who heard these same rumors and believed them to be true. I'm certainly not in a position to say that Johnson deserved the job, but if he was misled and convinced to apply even though he didn't have the experience in women's hockey that the administration was seeking, that would be disturbing. Also, I believe that many prominent people were strongly backing him. Some may praise Buning for not being influenced by these people, but on the other hand, let's not forget that a pretty darn effective a.d. (Terry Wanless) was ultimately forced out because he ticked off the wrong people early in his tenure.

I'm more than a little puzzled by so many having difficulty respecting the decision of the Lamoureux twins. When following announcements of college commitments including verbals, I'm used to seeing congratulatory posts only. At least on the women's side.

I'm more than a little puzzled by so many having difficulty respecting the decision of the Lamoureux twins. When following announcements of college commitments including verbals, I'm used to seeing congratulatory posts only. At least on the women's side.

I haven't seen anybody say anything negative about the Lamoureux's. Speculating that they may have re-opened their recruitment had Steve Johnson been hired is logical, however, given the fact that he and Pierre Lamoureux are friends.

... given the fact that he and Pierre Lamoureux are friends.

Given that concept, why are the twins of a former UND LB (with a son who was a UND LB) playing BB for Amy Ruley?

Let the kids make the decision that they are comfortable with. (We don't have to like it; we just have to accept it.)

I know nothing about Brian Idalski, but looking at his resume, he impresses me. Let's welcome him into the Fighting Sioux family and wish him the best of luck. The bottom line is bringing this team into a National Championship contender......that's it.

Given that concept, why are the twins of a former UND LB (with a son who was a UND LB) playing BB for Amy Ruley?

Let the kids make the decision that they are comfortable with. (We don't have to like it; we just have to accept it.)

In fairness, I was basing my opinion on more than just Steve Johnson and Pierre Lamoureux being friends, but I'm not at liberty to say more than that at this point.

In fairness, I was basing my opinion on more than just Steve Johnson and Pierre Lamoureux being friends, but I'm not at liberty to say more than that at this point

I was told that Steve Johnson's references on the resume for application were Dave Hakstol, Dean Blais and Pierre Lamoureux.....hmmmmm?

Assistant coach now advertised on UND website. The team will have a totally new coaching staff for the upcoming season.

Not necessarily, but definitely possible. There are 3 coaches on a team: A head coach, an associate head coach, and then an assistant coach. So far, 1 has been filled and another is currently taking applications. Maybe Miller will remain with the team as the associate head coach? I have no idea to be honest.

I was told that Steve Johnson's references on the resume for application were Dave Hakstol, Dean Blais and Pierre Lamoureux.....hmmmmm?

That's interesting. :silly: What do those guys know about hockey eh? :silly: It will be intersting to see what comes out of this.

I don't know who the heck this new guy is. But I hope Stafford is tapped as associate head coach... if he applies anyways.

The new guy seems really nice from the little that I have talked to him on the phone. slightly overwhelmed with everything right now maybe, but who wouldn't be. he was hired and left right away on a recruiting trip, i believe? I could see Stafford being a good associate though i don't see him applying since he didn't get the head job and has a pretty nice job at Shattuck.

The sad thing is that if that were to happen, it would probably be by people who have never attended a women's hockey game.

I absolutely agree. There has been no interest in this program until it came time to hire a head coach. Because it wasn't some "good ol boy" from the mens program people are up in arms. Give the guy a chance to coach. The Steve Johnson fan club can start attending games if they really want to see how good or bad the coach is.

I absolutely agree. There has been no interest in this program until it came time to hire a head coach. Because it wasn't some "good ol boy" from the mens program people are up in arms. Give the guy a chance to coach. The Steve Johnson fan club can start attending games if they really want to see how good or bad the coach is.

I don't think anyone is going to ride anyone out of town. The new guy hopefully will do a good job. People are hearing good things about him.

To comment that those who supported Steve Johnson are part of a "good ol boy fan club", shows a real lack of understanding. Steve is a proven, successful coach and has ties to UND which are very valuable when it comes to raising money and garnering support for the team. Women's hockey is part of UND athletics and needs to do a better job of raising money and increasing donations as well as pulling its own weight. I understand it won't be the same as the men's program. I am saying it needs to do better. Many of us are UND sports fans and want to see women's hockey succeed. We want track and baseball and basketball etc. to succeed. Steve Johnson should have been interviewed. The best person should have been hired and maybe that is the guy they hired. UND can't expect Alumni and former athletes to always step to the plate if they show no loyalty to UND alumni in return. That is the crux of the matter. He deserved an interview based on his success, his experience as a coach and because he is part of the UND family, he needed to be given the benefit of the doubt.

It seems to me the group that pushed so hard to get women's hockey is not as strong nor as vocal as it had been. They should be a bigger group with more funds to donate and more supportive now than ever. I don't see that occuring.

In the meantime, the new coach is hopefully going to do a great job and the hiring is done. No sense making love to a dead horse. (Unless of course you attend or graduated from the Ag college, but that is not appropriate discussion for this forum).