SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

HockeyMom

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say that Gordie Stafford has the best track record, because he coaches a high school hockey team or because he has a son in the NHL? He has no experience coaching Division 1 hockey.. High School Hockey and Division 1 hockey is at two different levels, if you ever get a chance to watch a female high school hockey game you would be bored out of your mind the hockey is terrible, especially in the states... anyone could coach that level... I am dissapointed the administration did not work harder to attrack some top name Divsion 1 coaches that have head coaching experience and would be able to step in a work, not find their footing over a year and then take pace... there are a lot of top coaches out there that could have been looked at over 3 candidates that are clueless, and one has been out of female hockey for 3 years with no clue what recruits are at the top of the game..... that would put the program behind further...I am just dissapointed

Gordie Stafford does not coach a HS team. He coaches a National Championship Prep School team of HS age girls. There is a huge difference! Look at the teams his team has played and beaten, All-Star 19U teams from all over North America.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.s-sm.org/upper/athletics/team.a...rid=2006+-+2007

They won the National Title again, and their overall record was 54-2-1. I'm not saying he is the guy, but he deserves consideration.

Your concept of getting a D-I Head Coach begs the question ... who? Who, that is successful, would leave where they are at to come to Grand Forks to start from scratch? Our Women's program is not on solid ground. I can only imagine a Head Coach who is not currently successful being interested in the job as it exists today, and why would we want that person?

The key for the next coach is recruiting. The program needs lots of D-I caliber players in the next couple of years to start to elevate their play and stature within the WCHA.

I'll bet Gordie Stafford has coached or coached against some of the best up and coming D-I talent in North America. And, further, I'll bet he knows who they are, and they know who he is, both huge recruiting keys.

Anyone go to see Stacy Wilson last night?

Personally, I worry about someone who's been away from the game for more than a season.

One man's opinion:

Someone needs to whisper in Mr. Buning's ear that he was the fourth candidate interviewed when he was hired.

Anyone go to see Stacy Wilson last night?

Personally, I worry about someone who's been away from the game for more than a season.

One man's opinion:

Someone needs to whisper in Mr. Buning's ear that he was the fourth candidate interviewed when he was hired.

I'm still wondering what she's been doing the past three years. That information seems to have been conspicuously absent in both the Herald and fightingsioux.com.

Siouxgoo's...err disioux's...err legend334's "big announcement" was that Craig Smith would be joining Tim Miles at Colorado State.

Does that mean that Craig Smith won't be the next University of North Dakota Women's Hockey coach?

:silly:

The delay shouldn't surprise anyone given the focus on STL last week. And this,

I have heard they are still continuing the interview process, anywhere from 1 to 6 more canidates may be brought in...?

is good news in my opinion. The three so far don't seem to have generated any buzz (here or elsewhere).

Hopefully they will make it around to Gordie Stafford and Steve Johnson. Either one of those would be a great choice. :silly:

Steve Johnson would be excellent: great record as a head coach and program builder, won a championship as a player at UND in 87, from GF, a no-brainer in my book.

Have a hard time believing Steve wants to coach women's hockey. He has been at the near top of men's hockey in the USHL. Why go backwards now? Can a guy go from women's college coaching to mens? Rarely happens in hoops, why would it work in hockey?

See Mark Johnson, coach of University of Wisconsin women's hockey. Seems to have made the adjustment quite well.

Edit.... I misread your post. Are you wondering if taking the women's job would affect SJohnson's chances at coaching UND's men at some point in time? That's a good question. I would think so. Bruce Olson went from coaching Bemidji State's women to now coaching Warroad's high school boys, basically starting over.