SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Iowa?

KEH

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cratter..

I agree but please check on 1AA games not counting for a 11 game season, if we only play 10 I believe it does count, and a loss will definitely hurt our playoff chances..

Also visiting with our Head Football Coach, the 1st Goal everyear is to make the playoffs, 1st and foremost

I think the IAA game exemption doesn't kick in until 2007, anyway. I also think you're right that beginning this year you need 10 qualifying games to make the post-season (I remember this because some of our GLIAC friends habitually schedule only 10 games and then drop one as a "no contest").

I know nothing about UNI aside from the fact that they're a D-1AA team, but I would bet my last dollar that they will not beat UND as badly as Minnesota is going to destroy NDSU. I would think 34-10 is not out of the question, but I see 24-10 as being much more realistic.

I would not put money on Minnesota beating NDSU for the next few years. It definitely won't be a cake walk. Minnesota lost alot of players this year (top 2 o-lineman, top 2 running backs). Plus, Minnesota never has a defense, quarterback, and they have a tendency to choke if their opponent can keep it close.

You get a close game when two cupcakes collide, but Minnesota is no cupcake. They may not be a contender for the BCS title, but they've been consistently a borderline top 25 team for the majority of the past 6-7 years. A top 25 D-1A team will most likely destroy a slightly better than average D-1AA team 9 times out of 10. I'm thinking the Gophers beat NDSU by about 42-6, something like that.

Interesting scores from 2004

Minnesota 37(6-5) Illinois St (4-7) 21

N Iowa 41(7-4) Illinois St 14

Could N. Iowa beat Minnesota in 2004?

Interesting scores from 2005

N Iowa 24(11-4) S Illinois 24(9-4)

S Illinois 9 NDSU 0 (7-4)

By these scores UND should play UNI close :D

You get a close game when two cupcakes collide, but Minnesota is no cupcake. They may not be a contender for the BCS title, but they've been consistently a borderline top 25 team for the majority of the past 6-7 years. A top 25 D-1A team will most likely destroy a slightly better than average D-1AA team 9 times out of 10. I'm thinking the Gophers beat NDSU by about 42-6, something like that.

I disagree. I think the Gophers have always been rated higher than they should basically because of the conference they play in. I can give credit where credit is due. NDSU has a good football program, they will be pumped up, the Gophers will be overlooking them, and the Bison will keep the score within 21 points.

Think of it this way.........if the Sioux and Bison played this season, I think it would be less than a ten point game, either way. If you underestimate NDSU, you are also underestimating the Sioux.

As far as Northern Iowa goes, I think you'll be surprised. I won't predict a win against the DI-AA National Runner-Up, that has 27 more scholarships, but I'll bet the differential in the final score will not be more than 14 points, either way! :D

Because the Metrodome will be filled with 35-50% Bison fans, I think that will prevent the Gophers from taking this game lightly. They will be motivated by the fact that the visiting team has so many fans at the game, and will take it out on the Bison. I agree that if the Sioux and the Bison played it would be a close game, but the Sioux and the Bison are nowhere near worthy of being on the same field as any Big 10 team. You could combine the best players from both the Sioux and Bison rosters and still would get massacred by the Gophers. NDSU is getting way in over their heads. They couldn't even make the playoffs in D2 for the majority of the last 5-6 years they spent playing at that level, and now they think they belong on the same field as Minnesota? They appear to have a rather overinflated opinion of themselves.

UC Davis 20

Stanford 17

The crowd was about 35-50% Davis fans and Davis only had about 45 scholarships. NDSU's players wanted this game and this will be their bowl game. I am not saying NDSU is going to beat the Gophers but I do think the game might be closer then many expect. If NDSU was playoff eligable either of the last two seasons we would have been right on the bubble, NDSU has a very solid team with an outstanding defense. The Gophers could destroy NDSU but I disagree completely that NDSU doesn't belong on the same field as Minnesota. NDSU has just as much right playing the Gophers as any MAC, WAC, or Sun Belt team does.

The crowd was about 35-50% Davis fans and Davis only had about 45 scholarships. NDSU's players wanted this game and this will be their bowl game. I am not saying NDSU is going to beat the Gophers but I do think the game might be closer then many expect. If NDSU was playoff eligable either of the last two seasons we would have been right on the bubble, NDSU has a very solid team with an outstanding defense. The Gophers could destroy NDSU but I disagree completely that NDSU doesn't belong on the same field as Minnesota. NDSU has just as much right playing the Gophers as any MAC, WAC, or Sun Belt team does.

NDSU won't get within 20 points. Look for a blow out...

The NCC co-champs lost to Northern Iowa 49-14 last season. Obviously UND proved to be better than tUMD last season but I still think UNI is quite a bit better than any NCC team. UNI had four touchdowns of 25+ yards so if UND can limit the big plays perhaps they can keep it close.

NDSU may have been able to keep their game versus UMTC close had it been scheduled in August or early September, but being it is in the middle of the Big Ten season the Gophers should be in better form and win quite heavily. NDSU doesn't have the depth yet to compete with a Big Ten team although they should play lowly Ball State tough.

NDSU isn't UC Davis, and Stanford isn't Minnesota. If NDSU was half as good as their fans think they are this would potentially be a somewhat competitive game. The fact of the matter is that they're a Johnny Come Lately D-1AA program that was very recently left out of the D2 playoffs on a regular basis. Minnesota is annually a borderline top 25 team in D-1A.

NDSU is no UC Davis? What are you smoking? They beat us by 7 points last year and the year before we beat them by 18, and we were ranked higher them ever since we went IAA. As for Stanford and Minnesota there isn't that big of gap between the two and considering what the Gophers lost I doubt they will be a top 40 team next year. Right now I say the Gophers beat the Bison 34-17 and the Panthers beat the Sioux 28-10.

If they were stupid enough to schedule a game against a Big 10 team the Sioux would be considered a cupcake by the Big 10 team they were playing, and rightfully so. However, you are completely delusional if you think the Sioux are only getting players the Bison don't want. Contrary to what you want to believe, a mediocre D-1AA team does not have significantly more prestige than a highly ranked D2 team.

Dave, is your lastname Kupchella?

However, you are completely delusional if you think the Sioux are only getting players the Bison don't want. Contrary to what you want to believe, a mediocre D-1AA team does not have significantly more prestige than a highly ranked D2 team.

What about Mr. Bollingers comment after signing day that UND & NDSU went head to head on 9 top area kids this year, and NDSU got all 9 of them. And this is a Bison team still ineligible for the playoffs. It was posted on the Areavoices blog by Hallstrom or Kolpack. The Sioux may get one or maybe two a year for various reasons, but it will be an exception, not the rule.

What I find interesting is that both UND and NDSU are still recruiting the same Kids...

I thought with the move up that you needed superior talent, more speed, Kids that played a tougher schedule than the North Dakota Leagues, or the lower level area Minnesota Leagues could produce.

Seems to me we are still going head to head on all local kids, that 3-4 years ago could not fit into the upper level Div1AA program...?

I'm just curious here, but how do most NDSU fans view current football teams as compared to teams from the 1990's. Do Bison fans feel that the current teams could beat up on those past teams or is it close?

This is definitely a topic that should be discussed in a Bison chatroom, not here. This has nothing to do with UND athletics.