SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Iowa?

KEH

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, dude. If you can't see how this applies to UND athletics you need some help.

I guess I need some help! Tell me how what SU fans think about their teams of the 90's has to do with UND. Their responses may or may not be interesting but why should it be discussed here?

I guess I need some help! Tell me how what SU fans think about their teams of the 90's has to do with UND. Their responses may or may not be interesting but why should it be discussed here?

Because I think it would be interesting to see if NDSU fans think that since their jump to division I-AA, the Bison football teams have taken a large jump in talent.

This is the same jump that UND is deciding to whether to take.

-Would UND need to look elsewhere for talent if the Sioux are in I-AA?

-Are the guys that are good now at UND, going to be good against teams at that "next" level?

By asking if the NDSU teams of past and present are that different, maybe i could get some answers to those questions. Maybe I'm wrong here.

I'm no Bison fan (in fact I hate them with a passion), but speaking as somebody who watched a lot of games... I think the current NDSU team would easily beat their mediocre teams of the mid '90s but would get slaughtered by their 1986 national championship team.

So does that mean that the talent level between D-2 and D1AA is not that significant? I suppose we will find out when we play Northern Iowa. I also do not like the Bison but they do serve as a good guide.

So does that mean that the talent level between D-2 and D1AA is not that significant? I suppose we will find out when we play Northern Iowa.

UNI was the national champ runner-up last year. They will be a good measuring stick of a top DiAA program. The only downside is it's a warm-up game, so both sides will be fresh, few injuries. The main difference in a top D-2 and a D 1AA is depth, which will show later in the year. Likewise, SDSU plays UNI the week after you do in the dome.

For a local game between what should be two top 15 teams in D 1AA, catch the game in Fargo Nov. 11 between Cal Poly and NDSU. It is likely to be the championship game of the GWFC. And while it's a small conference at this time, any of the top 4 teams, and maybe SUU could win the league. It has gained the attention of the 1AA crowd quickly with great strength of schedule OOC, and very even play in conference games.

I'm just curious here, but how do most NDSU fans view current football teams as compared to teams from the 1990's. Do Bison fans feel that the current teams could beat up on those past teams or is it close?

I'm a UND alum/fan, but I live in the FM area and see most of the Bison games. I think that NDSU's talent is definitely on the upswing relative to 5-10 years ago. The Bison have always had good top-end talent, but their depth is significantly improved. I think this will be even more evident in another 2 years. It is hard to compare current Bison teams with their national championship teams of earlier years, but that may be irrelevant as the D-II landscape has changed so much. The biggest difference in NDSU football is the caliber of the competition. The current D-IAA schedule provides opponents that consistently match up well with NDSU and the games are extremely competitive and entertaining.

I think UND would do well in D-IAA football within a short period of time. I also think the fans would enjoy the schedule and the competition. There is no question in my mind that D-IAA is the "right" fit for UND football. The harder questions have to do with other sports.

If a 2-8 D2 team go become a top 15 D-1AA team in only 4 years, then perhaps the jump from D2 to D-1AA is not very big.

A team that went from 2-8 one year to taking the DII runner up to OT at home the next year.

very impressive (YYAAAWWWNNNN!!) so when Rocky comes back are you going to lay down out of respect to the bison "tradition?" :D

Being a UNO grad, I understand where you are coming from, and Pat thanks you ;)

Once Rocky sets foot on the Fargodome Turf, he is the enemy. ???

I have seen Buning on the local news promoting how he thinks it is good for UND to play a I-AA FB team every year, regardless of which division UND is in. That's fine and quite a different stance that Roger Thomas had. Note: I also am aware that DII has new rules in effect that do not "punish" a DII for playing (and even beating) a I-AA so that has to be considered. However, if UND goes down to Cedar Falls and upsets UNI I wonder how many will jump on a possible UND DI bandwagon. OTOH, if UND goes down to Cedar Falls and gets their collective asses handed to them I wonder if a DI fervor will die down and what Buning's response will be. I also wonder what Dale Lennon's response will be in the event of an ass-whupping, because right now he's on the record as pro-DI move. I think it is interesting that, since the Mid-Con has sent the SU's letters of inquiry, how the Big Sky is suddenly interested in the SU's again. Regardless, I don't think that will help UND's conference affiliation given their hesitation/non-commitmal stance on DI. ???

Knowing that UND has been much better in recent years than NDSU was in their final years of D2 play... how can anybody in their right mind think UND would struggle against D-1AA competition?

Much better is relative. How much better is a team that wins in overtime at home, for NDSU vs UND's late game ???

I'd say they were pretty even in 2003, based on the game that was played.

According to this guy Northern Iowa should have an easy victory over UND. I think they are probably in for a bigger battle then that. I think it depends on UND's ability to move the football, if they can keep UNI honest by completing some passes, they'll take them close into the 4th quarter.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c...oint_051306.htm

NDSU's last 8 years in D2

Years qualifying for D2 playoffs : 2

Overall record in playoff games : 2-2

Total playoff games hosted : 0

UND's past 8 years

Years qualifying for D2 playoffs : 6

Overall record in playoff games : 11-5

Total playoff games hosted : 8

Nothing relative about it. UND has been much, much better in recent years than NDSU was their last 8 years in D2. The mere fact that you're now reduced to playing the "at least we took you to OT and kept the game close" card shows just how badly NDSU had regressed from their glory days of the '80s and early '90s.

If it's so difficult to make the jump to that next level, then somebody please explain to me how a mediocre D2 program like NDSU could do it as easily as they did?

I agree, UND played the Bison better their last 8 years. Your point was that NDSU competed in I-AA in 2004. My point was that NDSU competed with UND in 2003, DII runner-up, the year prior to playing I-AA football. Not sure what the 2002 and prior, have to do with the progress from 2003 to the 2004 team. And yes, I believe UND could have competed rather well in I-AA in 2004.

My point was simply that if a team like NDSU that had not exactly been a powerhouse in D2 for quite some time could move up and compete immediately, then surely a team like UND that has been a national power in D2 in recent years should not have any more difficulty adjusting if and when they decide to move up. If UND could have competed rather well in 2004, why not in 2006 or 2007? How is moving up now going to be so much different than moving up two years ago. I fail to see the difference.

You must be confusing me with some one else, I think UND could compete now.

Okay then, fair enough. Most Bison fans tend to have this illusion that D-1AA is such a huge step up from D2 and that UND would be overwhelmed if they were to make that jump. You have proven yourself to be more intelligent than that. Good for you.

We'll find out this fall won't we. ???

Not really. 1) One school will have a scholarship advantage and be at home. 2) It'll only be one game.

This is the start of "transition" should you choose to pursue it. For the first couple of years, most of your tough D-1 games will be on the road. Your home games will be other transitionals, D-2's (or lower), and your conference games. See Central Ark. schedule, or SDSU's, and even UC-Davis. The tough games are RARELY on your home turf, AT THE BEGINNING.

UND would do better than most D-2 to D-1 transitionals. You are likely to need to look to the non-schollies for wins, because the GWFC, the Big Sky, and the Gateway contain generally top 50 programs in the D1AA so road wins would be very difficult. But then again, it's tough to get road wins in the NCC, especially the top half of the league.

Have fun, play loose, and enjoy the experience. Recommend UNI-dome as a road trip.

NDSU's last 8 years in D2

Years qualifying for D2 playoffs : 2

Overall record in playoff games : 2-2

Total playoff games hosted : 0

UND's past 8 years

Years qualifying for D2 playoffs : 6

Overall record in playoff games : 11-5

Total playoff games hosted : 8

Nothing relative about it. UND has been much, much better in recent years than NDSU was their last 8 years in D2. The mere fact that you're now reduced to playing the "at least we took you to OT and kept the game close" card shows just how badly NDSU had regressed from their glory days of the '80s and early '90s.

DaveK

Montana's year before they played the Bison was similar to UNI's year last year. I would only assume since ths Sioux are so much better off now than the Bison were then, it would be a big disappointment to you if the Sioux don't win this game by at least 10.

NDSU beating Montana was a miracle. I do not expect UND to repeat that kind of miracle. I do expect them to at least keep the game close for three quarters.

Beating Wisconsin was a miracle, Beating Montana was miracle, etc etc. With all the miracles NDSU has created you'd think poor old davek would be a believer by now. ???

I don't care about beating Wisconsin unless it's hockey or football. Bounceyball means nothing to me. The Sioux could beat Wisconsin in bounceyball and I wouldn't care about that either. It's the winter sport for people who can't skate. As for NDSU football, they have yet to defeat anybody as good as Montana since having moved up from D2 to D-1AA. One miracle regular season game in a year that you failed to qualify for the D2 playoffs does not make a believer out of me. I need to see some postseason success before I become a believer. Let me know when they host another playoff game. What's it been now... 14, 15 years?

Once can be an accident - but can you do it 7 times!! ???

Actually, I think UND was in much better position to give UNI a game last year than this. Don't get me wrong, I think the Sioux could end up being pretty good, but it will take a while for the defense to come around having lost such veterans as Digger Anderson, Danny Gagner, etc.

• 1 month later...

Interesting scores from 2004

Minnesota 37(6-5) Illinois St (4-7) 21

N Iowa 41(7-4) Illinois St 14

Could N. Iowa beat Minnesota in 2004?

Interesting scores from 2005

N Iowa 24(11-4) S Illinois 24(9-4)

S Illinois 9 NDSU 0 (7-4)

By these scores UND should play UNI close ;)

This means absolutely nothing. Nice try though. :angry: