SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Iowa?

KEH

Tonight KVLY reported that Northern Iowa is on UND's schedule but Bunning declined an interview, saying that the deal was not finalized. Is this UND's first step in becoming D-I AA?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight KVLY reported that Northern Iowa is on UND's schedule but Bunning declined saying that the deal was not finalized. Is this UND's first step in becoming D-I AA?

No! Its Bunning's way of trying to save Money...He will send the football team to slaugter for a Garuntee pay day...? Instead of paying for them to fly out to Colorado and play Mesa State...? Hope it's ok with Dale and the boys..but since we can not host a playoff game anyway, who cares about SOS index.... It's all part of Bunning's master plan...It just would be nice to ask the Head Coach 1st..?

No! Its Bunning's way of trying to save Money...He will send the football team to slaugter for a Garuntee pay day...? Instead of paying for them to fly out to Colorado and play Mesa State...? Hope it's ok with Dale and the boys..but since we can host a playoff game anyway, who cares about SOS index.... It's all part of Bunning's master plan...It just would be nice to ask the Head Coach 1st..?

If someone sends in a check for $50 K, conditional on playing Mesa, I'm sure Buning would reconsider. :lol:

UNI will supposedly announce their schedule tomorrow (wednesday) and UND will be on it for a Sept. 9th game - that should finalize things :lol:

Can't dispute much else Walrus said EXCEPT it will be a slaughter. Most likely a UNI win, but we're not Crookston...

UNI will supposedly announce their schedule tomorrow (wednesday) and UND will be on it for a Sept. 9th game - that should finalize things :lol:

Can't dispute much else Walrus said EXCEPT it will be a slaughter. Most likely a UNI win, but we're not Crookston...

Heck we had a chance to fill the October 23 date 2006 with the U of Minn.....But Dale said no way, another Bunning brain storm..Dale did not want the boys all beat up for the next week UNO game which could have playoff ramifacations....Money is not everything...

Heck we had a chance to fill the October 23 date 2006 with the U of Minn.....But Dale said no way, another Bunning brain storm..Dale did not want the boys all beat up for the next week UNO game which could have playoff ramifacations....Money is not everything...

you're right - money isn't everything until UND moves up to DI-AA. THEN your AD can sell your teams' soul for a $300,000 check to get pounded by a real, albeit mediocre, Division IA team :lol:

Walrus, it appears that they did check with Coach about this game, and don't be so negative, you never know IAA has a site "Any given Saturday" this could be the case. Let's be positive football is such a game that any given saturday anything can happen let's hope it happens for the Sioux on this given Saturday.

No! Its Bunning's way of trying to save Money...He will send the football team to slaugter for a Garuntee pay day...? Instead of paying for them to fly out to Colorado and play Mesa State...? Hope it's ok with Dale and the boys..but since we can not host a playoff game anyway, who cares about SOS index.... It's all part of Bunning's master plan...It just would be nice to ask the Head Coach 1st..?

I think it is more likely a trickle-down effect of the fact that I-A schools can now schedule an extra game. Most of them are gonna fill it with a I-AA team. In turn I-AA's will add more games against a DII, knowing in most cases it will be a sure win, to offset their likely sure loss to a I-A. Eventually you'll see DII school scheduling more DIII or NAIA schools to offset their I-AA guarantee game. With the new rules put in place by the NCAA, guarantee games are just gonna be more common, and a regular part of college football. If UND does stay in DII, look for a yearly games against both a I-AA, and a low-teir DII/NAIA/DIII. If UND does go DI, even when we do get into a conference, there'll more than likely be a I-A and a DII on the schedule most years.

Heck we had a chance to fill the October 23 date 2006 with the U of Minn.....But Dale said no way, another Bunning brain storm..

I never heard that. I find it hard to believe that Minnesota ever considered playing a DII program.

I for one am very excited about this game. I'll take a loss to a program like Northern Iowa over a 50 point shallacking over a program like Ferris St any day. You never know, UND may just surprise alot of people.

I think it is more likely a trickle-down effect of the fact that I-A schools can now schedule an extra game. Most of them are gonna fill it with a I-AA team. In turn I-AA's will add more games against a DII, knowing in most cases it will be a sure win, to offset their likely sure loss to a I-A. Eventually you'll see DII school scheduling more DIII or NAIA schools to offset their I-AA guarantee game. With the new rules put in place by the NCAA, guarantee games are just gonna be more common, and a regular part of college football. If UND does stay in DII, look for a yearly games against both a I-AA, and a low-teir DII/NAIA/DIII. If UND does go DI, even when we do get into a conference, there'll more than likely be a I-A and a DII on the schedule most years.

I never heard that. I find it hard to believe that Minnesota ever considered playing a DII program.

I for one am very excited about this game. I'll take a loss to a program like Northern Iowa over a 50 point shallacking over a program like Ferris St any day. You never know, UND may just surprise alot of people.

you'll give them a game and who knows "any given Saturday" - No way the Gophers asked UND for a fb game, it would count against them for the BCS.

Hey don't go throwing facts in there for Walrus :lol:

Check with Lt Col Bunning, Any of the Staff Coaches, or Your Favorite Sports Writer Wayne Nelson, University of Minn. was either contacted by us or they sent out feelers when NDSU 1st refused there request for Oct 21, 2006....Facts

As for UNI that is fine to play a D1AA, but as far as SOS index a Loss to them is more harmful then a Win in Div2...Again just Facts

Post Note* UNI Gives us $70,000 to bus there.......It would cost us Around $70,000 to fly out and play Mesa.....$140,000 turn around ..not about MONEY?

Check with Lt Col Bunning, Any of the Staff Coaches, or Your Favorite Sports Writer Wayne Nelson, University of Minn. was either contacted by us or they sent out feelers when NDSU 1st refused there request for Oct 23, 2006....Facts

As for UNI that is fine to play a D1AA, but as far as SOS index a Loss to them is more harmful then a Win in Div2...Again just Facts

That may be true, but it's a general feeling that at this point a game like this is very much desired by the program. We don't belong in D-2 anymore and this will be a good measuring stick to see what we need to do to get where we need to be. Speaking with the players they all seem very excited about it.

The SOS index doesn't exist anymore so playing a IAA team isn't nearly as prohibitive as it was a couple of years ago. In fact, the D2 football committee is discussing allowing every school to exempt one non-D2 game from playoff consideration. So the UNI game might not even count for or against UND when it comes to the playoffs.

Also, for those that think UND will get blown out or doesn't have a chance, think again. I can give you several examples in the last five years where elite Division II teams have not only competed, but have beaten prominent I-AA teams. I'm not saying UND will go there and win the game, but the gap between the top teams in the two divisions isn't so large that they can't be highly competitive.

University of Minn. was either contacted by us or they sent out feelers when NDSU 1st refused there request for Oct 21, 2006....Facts

You seem to know all, so which one was it?

The fact is there was no way UND was going to end up on U of Minnesotas schedule because a DIA team playing a D2 team doesn't count towards the BCS. It would have essentially been an exhibition game for them....facts.

Also, for those that think UND will get blown out or doesn't have a chance, think again. I can give you several examples in the last five years where elite Division II teams have not only competed, but have beaten prominent I-AA teams.

Okay, other than NDSU over Montana who do you got?

Okay, other than NDSU over Montana who do you got?

Last year, Texas State (whom lost to U of Northern Iowa in the semis in OT) only beat Delta State 32 to 25 and had to score late to beat them.

You probably want more examples now. Shouldn't you know more about this because your team is IAA?