SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Iowa?

KEH

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacksonville State is nowhere near being a prominent DIAA team, nor are any SWAC teams.

Montana State is no prominent team either, though have had success recently under Mike Kramer. They have a losing record since DI-AA was created and have made it to playoffs three times since 1978.

(Edit:substituted prominent for elite)

Jacksonville State is nowhere near being a prominent DIAA team, nor are any SWAC teams.

Montana State is no prominent team either, though have had success recently under Mike Kramer. They have a losing record since DI-AA was created and have made it to playoffs three times since 1978.

You could make subjective arguments for how "good" a team is all day. :lol:

Both the games I mentioned involved teams which were in the playoffs in their respective divisions the year the game was played. Whether Montana State and/or Jacksonville State are considered prominent or elite is in the eye of the beholder, but clearly they were good I-AA teams during the year they lost to good dII teams.

Both the games I mentioned involved teams which were in the playoffs in their respective divisions the year the game was played. Whether Montana State and/or Jacksonville State are considered prominent or elite is in the eye of the beholder, but clearly they were good I-AA teams during the year they lost to good dII teams.

Jacksonville has never been prominent, no one would argue that except for a former player or a confused alum. The school plays none scholarship ball. UND would as many points on the board as Lennon would command.

(They lost 45-0 in the first round, it will probably be the last time a non-scholly school will be invited regardless of their record)

Jacksonville has never been prominent, no one would argue that except for a former player or a confused alum. The school plays none scholarship ball. UND would as many points on the board as Lennon would command.

(They lost 45-0 in the first round, it will probably be the last time a non-scholly school will be invited regardless of their record)

You just can never concede an argument can you? You wanted examples and two were given. You can't argue with that. You can't argue with they were both "good" football teams that year, as they both made the IAA playoffs. Whether or not a team has scholarships does not indicate how "good" they are. Maybe it shows the credibility of the teams in IAA playoff football.

Back to the original point that you questioned.

There has been D2 teams that have not only competed but beaten IAA playoff teams.

You just can never concede an argument can you? You wanted examples and two were given. You can't argue with that. You can't argue with they were both "good" football teams that year, as they both made the IAA playoffs. Whether or not a team has scholarships does not indicate how "good" they are. Maybe it shows the credibility of the teams in IAA playoff football.

There has been D2 teams that have not only competed but beaten IAA playoff teams.

Tell me if you believe that after UND plays its first non-scholly DIAA team.

And that wasn't the original question.

I am not a I-AA football expert, but Jacksonville State plays in the Ohio Valley Conference, which is one of eight I-AA football conferences that receive an autobid. Are you positive they're non-scholarship? I don't believe they are.

I am not a I-AA football expert, but Jacksonville State plays in the Ohio Valley Conference, which is one of eight I-AA football conferences that receive an autobid. Are you positive they're non-scholarship? I don't believe they are.

You are right. I am a boob, I was thinking of Jacksonville (which is in the Pioneer!).

Sorry. Cratter, feel free to take a pot shot, try not to aim to low!

You truly are a student of I-AA football. Jacksonville is non-scholarship. Jacksonville State (the team UNA defeated in 2003) is full-scholarship I-AA. I think you need to "sharpen up" on your I-AA knowledge. :lol::lol:

Oh yeah, and the other game everyone missed was Valdosta State defeating I-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic 45-17 in 2003. I suppose your going to try to tell us that FAU sucked that year too. :lol:

Cratter..

I believe Lt Col Make the 1st Call..

RD17

I agree but please check on 1AA games not counting for a 11 game season, if we only play 10 I believe it does count, and a loss will definitely hurt our playoff chances..

Also visiting with our Head Football Coach, the 1st Goal everyear is to make the playoffs, 1st and foremost

They are a scholarship team - everyone in the Ohio Valley is.

Cratter..

I believe Lt Col Make the 1st Call..

RD17

I agree but please check on 1AA games not counting for a 11 game season, if we only play 10 I believe it does count, and a loss will definitely hurt our playoff chances..

Also visiting with our Head Football Coach, the 1st Goal everyear is to make the playoffs, 1st and foremost

So when you wrote

Heck we had a chance to fill the October 23 date 2006 with the U of Minn

You imply meant the AD called MN to see if they wanted a game?

I am just saying in reality I highly doubt there was ever a realistic chance that would happen as a Division 2 team. See reasons as previously stated, whether Dale Lennon wanted to or not.

Why are you so Bitter? It doesn't hurt that much playing a DIAA team anymore. The rules have changed. There was many reasons to schedule this game. Money being only one of them. Probably the least reason.

Dale did not want it...

Minnesota probably would not have played it..? (Trouble with NDSU would not play them early and scheduling conflicts , who knows...you need a full schedule)

Bunning 1st Called NDSU for Oct 21, got turned down, then called the gophers...

Part of the reason I see to schedule the IAA game is better prepare for the playoffs (if UND makes it). Playing Crookston and Mesa St. doesn't do that. UND needed a stronger nonconference game. I think the last couple of years some fans might have learned that.

Jax St is not a good example even though they do play scholarship football in the Ohio Valley Conference, they got in the playoffs because of the auto-bid and were flattend by Western Kentucky 45-7 in the first round. Jax St is not a good measuring stick for DII powers vs IAA powers, now Montana St is a bit better because they are at least in a power conference but they weren't exactly a power that year and got in only because of the auto-bid.

FIU vs Valdosta and NDSU vs Montana are both good examples but unlike Montana UNI will have their starting QB returning this season and I would have to say UNI is just as tough to beat at home as Montana is. Can UND beat UNI? Yes, any given saturday of course but UNI is a very good team and has a legit shot at going all the way this year. Right now I am thinking 34-10 UNI but anything can happen.

Part of the reason I see to schedule the IAA game is better prepare for the playoffs (if UND makes it). Playing Crookston and Mesa St. doesn't do that. UND needed a stronger nonconference game. I think the last couple of years some fans might have learned that.

Agreed....But if you do not play a 11 game schedule, a lost to a 1AA vs. a win against any DivII could keep you home from the playoffs...That is sad, but it is the formula we have to live with for now..?

Completely disagree. The NCC schedule by itself is enough to get UND ready for the playoffs, regardless of who the non-conference opponents are. Grand Valley only plays two or three regular season games a year where the other team is even a threat and they don't have much trouble in the playoffs.

Some of you guys on this board never cease to amaze me.....have you seen any quotes from coach Lennon on this??? Why is that??? He didnt want the game maybe??? Its funny....ask any of the quote smaller schools who play up and get the big gurantee....check with them the next 3 weeks with their health....simple fact is with 63 schollies....you have more bodies...better players and the other team gets beat up...ask St. Cloud when they did it a few years ago....ask Mankato who did it a few years ago....the big pay day isnt worth sacrificing the season.....but with the budget in a mess as it is....I guess LTC had no choice...perhaps that top heavy staff would have lessened the burden.....maybe when coach Lennon leaves then you brilliant people will connect the dots....Rob Bollinger leaves, Rich GLas leaves....when coach Lennon decides enough is enough....then perhaps you will connect the dots...

Some of you guys on this board never cease to amaze me.....have you seen any quotes from coach Lennon on this??? Why is that??? He didnt want the game maybe??? Its funny....ask any of the quote smaller schools who play up and get the big gurantee....check with them the next 3 weeks with their health....simple fact is with 63 schollies....you have more bodies...better players and the other team gets beat up...ask St. Cloud when they did it a few years ago....ask Mankato who did it a few years ago....the big pay day isnt worth sacrificing the season.....but with the budget in a mess as it is....I guess LTC had no choice...perhaps that top heavy staff would have lessened the burden.....maybe when coach Lennon leaves then you brilliant people will connect the dots....Rob Bollinger leaves, Rich GLas leaves....when coach Lennon decides enough is enough....then perhaps you will connect the dots...

Well gee, Minnesota-Duluth played that same UNI team last year, how did their season turn out?

Northern Colorado got "beat up" by Montana in 2002 (31-14) and all they did was go unbeaten in the NCC and reach the national semifinals.

One game against a I-AA team is not going to ruin a season.

And why would Dale Lennon be commenting on the schedule? Have you ever seen him comment in the past on schedules before they were released? I think not.