SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Per Brad's blog

"Shattuck-St. Mary’s sensation Nathan Noel is scheduled to be visiting campus this weekend. Noel, a 1997-born forward, is being mentioned as the possible No. 1 overall pick in the QMJHL draft."

According to his twitter feed he won't be able to attend tonight's game because of icy roads. MNDOT closed I-94 from Fergus Falls to Alexandria. Hopefully he can make it up tomorrow.

According to his twitter feed he won't be able to attend tonight's game because of icy roads. MNDOT closed I-94 from Fergus Falls to Alexandria. Hopefully he can make it up tomorrow.

If he would've asked me, I could've told him how to get to GF by avoiding that stretch of 94 (depending on other closures though). Haha.

Noel (from...St Johns, Newfoundland) is a top player in the world at his age. Awesome news he visiting but i wonder if he has any intention on coming to UND?? Noel is big time!

Got a chance to watch Noel at the World U-17 Challenge, fairly unnoticeable there (unlike fellow 1997 Connor McDavid, who looked fantastic playing up one age group). But of course that was in limited viewing and he's drawn plenty of rave reviews.

Those top-end Canadian kids always seem like a pipe dream, but who knows, maybe he'll follow the Toews Developmental Path and attend UND despite being a #1 overall CHL draft pick (assuming he does indeed go #1, of course...).

Got a chance to watch Noel at the World U-17 Challenge, fairly unnoticeable there (unlike fellow 1997 Connor McDavid, who looked fantastic playing up one age group). But of course that was in limited viewing and he's drawn plenty of rave reviews.

Those top-end Canadian kids always seem like a pipe dream, but who knows, maybe he'll follow the Toews Developmental Path and attend UND despite being a #1 overall CHL draft pick (assuming he does indeed go #1, of course...).

Connor McDavid is just on a whole different level. That guy is a stud. It's like comparing Nugent-Hopkins to Crosby. Both first overall picks, both very good players, but Sid is on another planet in comparison. That's not a knock on Noel at all, just a compliment to McDavid's game.

I hope Noel can get to campus at some point to see some UND hockey. Getting 'em there is a good start.

Speaking of Crosby, it's too bad he couldn't make it up on the trip with Duncan & Toews like he was supposed to. Never know what may have happened! ;)

I'd think that the coaches would bring in some other guys from Shattuck with Noel for a visit. Tyler Vesel, Chase Phelps, Ryan Norman, Georgy Gorodetsky, Frankie Spellman, and Cody Kuster are guys that stand out with their numbers (not sure if any of these guys have been recruited).

I saw on Twitter that the rumors are that he will only report to 2 QMJHL teams - St John or Quebec.

I'd think that the coaches would bring in some other guys from Shattuck with Noel for a visit. Tyler Vesel, Chase Phelps, Ryan Norman, Georgy Gorodetsky, Frankie Spellman, and Cody Kuster are guys that stand out with their numbers (not sure if any of these guys have been recruited).

Tyler vesel is committed to Omaha

I saw on Twitter that the rumors are that he will only report to 2 QMJHL teams - St John or Quebec.

Well, if you are into superstition, etc., Nathan Noel was kind enough to give the @SiouxTradition Twitter stream a follow. The last recruiting target to give a follow was Troy Stecher, and he committed to UND about a day later. So, here's to good omens!

Well, if you are into superstition, etc., Nathan Noel was kind enough to give the @SiouxTradition Twitter stream a follow. The last recruiting target to give a follow was Troy Stecher, and he committed to UND about a day later. So, here's to good omens!

I don't know about superstition, but I pay attention to "signs" :)

It's an unofficial visit, so basically an open invitation along the lines of "If you want to come up, and can get up here on your own, we'd love to have you."

Phelps and Norman are definitely potential Sioux targets. The other three uncommitted players aren't D-1 prospects at this point.

Saw Noel deleted his tweet about being unable to make it up here. Any reason why he would delete that?

I think you're reading a bit too much into that. It wasn't the only one he deleted. Could be a privacy thing. People delete tweets all the time, for various reasons.

Connor McDavid is just on a whole different level. That guy is a stud. It's like comparing Nugent-Hopkins to Crosby. Both first overall picks, both very good players, but Sid is on another planet in comparison. That's not a knock on Noel at all, just a compliment to McDavid's game.

I hope Noel can get to campus at some point to see some UND hockey. Getting 'em there is a good start.

Speaking of Crosby, it's too bad he couldn't make it up on the trip with Duncan & Toews like he was supposed to. Never know what may have happened! ;)

Actually Crosby did make an unofficial visit with Duncan.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/189974/

Agreed McDavid is on a whole different level.

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this one about a week ago but it looks like junior defenseman Jack Dougherty of St.Thomas Academy has committed to Ohio State. I think he had visited UND during a game this season and he looked like a pretty good prospect in watching him but I don't know if he ever got a Sioux offer.

I know we talked about Joey Anderson of Hill-Murray after seeing him play as an 8th grader for them during the state tournament but it looks like he would be a tough kid to get out of Minnesota after coming across one of his tweets.

Joey Anderson@JTA_829 Mar

Every Minnesota boys dream to wear that maroon and gold someday #gophers