SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

DAR

Completely agree about Cichy. I think by far the most underrated recruit coming in. He will put up 30+ pts next season, he's tore up the USHL for each team hes played for each season. So it doesnt really matter who he plays with, he's a natural playmaker. We need a guy like Cichy to bring consistant scoring on a line, night in and night out.

DAR

Completely agree about Cichy. I think by far the most underrated recruit coming in. He will put up 30+ pts next season, he's tore up the USHL for each team hes played for each season. So it doesnt really matter who he plays with, he's a natural playmaker. We need a guy like Cichy to bring consistant scoring on a line, night in and night out.

Jason Gregoire: 2007-08 USHL Player of the Year

2007-08 USHL Scoring: 54 games played 37-32--69

2008-09 UND Scoring: 12-17--29

Mike Cichy

2008-09 USHL Scoring: 54 games played 33-41--74

That's not a huge difference, and a lot of Mike's scoring came after being traded to a much better team. He scored 16 more pts in only 2 more games with Indiana than Tri-City. If Jason didn't do, I just can't see Cichy doing it. Also, Mike isn't short (albeit not tall) at 5-11, 195...so the Duncan size comparison has me confused there (5 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Duncs).

He sounds like an awesome player, but to expect a kid to come in and put up 30 WCHA pts as a freshman isn't as easy as some of you make it seem. There's no need to overhype a recruit because it only builds for a let down.

I'll say 10-14--24. Not that I'm an expert, but you just don't come into the WCHA and tear it up unless you're a stud. I'm sure Cichy is good, but is he a Toews or Oshie type? No. I hate Duncan comparisons because there aren't many Duncans. For every small player like Duncan, there are probably 20-30 great players that just wouldn't cut it at this level.

OH OK sorry you say 24 pts for Cichy vs 30?? Well that is picking straws. Remember Cichy has been well versed at the USHL level. He was highly recruited and will be a dynamo for the Sioux. We will add a lot of speed to the line up next year with Kristo and Cichy. I believe D Toews had 6 goals in very limitied ice time....he will pick it up as well.

Mike Cichy

That's not a huge difference, and a lot of Mike's scoring came after being traded to a much better team. He scored 16 more pts in only 2 more games with Indiana than Tri-City. If Jason didn't do, I just can't see Cichy doing it. Also, Mike isn't short (albeit not tall) at 5-11, 195...so the Duncan size comparison has me confused there (5 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Duncs).

He sounds like an awesome player, but to expect a kid to come in and put up 30 WCHA pts as a freshman isn't as easy as some of you make it seem. There's no need to overhype a recruit because it only builds for a let down.

Dude...he is a Duncan type player. So we on this board are over hyping a recruit?? He WILL be a 30 plus point player. Cichy is very good...

Mike Cichy

Agreed.

Mike Howe was the USHL goal scoring leader and look how he did. It's like the stock market, past performance is not an indicator.....

Agreed.

Mike Howe was the USHL goal scoring leader and look how he did. It's like the stock market, past performance is not an indicator.....

I believe James Massen and Brandon Bochenski both were right up there in goal scoring in the USHL in their final year, and one was dominant at the next level while the other didn't translate quite as well. Didn't Brian Canady score 5 goals in a game in the USHL?

I like this quote:

"His father listed North Dakota, Boston College and Boston University as possible destinations. However, BU coach Dave Quinn said he has no interest in Morin."

Umm...yeah...sure. I wonder if Jack Parker has anything to say about that?

I don't think this kid will play college I think he is postering for a good deal from the OHL.

I don't think this kid will play college I think he is postering for a good deal from the OHL.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. But you can't tell me that if he was considering the college route that BU would "have no interest in him"!

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. But you can't tell me that if he was considering the college route that BU would "have no interest in him"!

That would seem kind of odd being he is one of the top American's for his age. Maybe BU doesn't like something about him I dunno.

Based on the Dad's quote about finding the best place to get him to the NHL in the next year or 2 is it really all that important to have him at UND for a year? I'm just guessing but I'm wondering if he'll have one hand on his cell phone all year long.

Somehow it feels different to me than the Toews/Parise situations, but maybe I'm wrong.

Based on the Dad's quote about finding the best place to get him to the NHL in the next year or 2 is it really all that important to have him at UND for a year? I'm just guessing but I'm wondering if he'll have one hand on his cell phone all year long.

Somehow it feels different to me than the Toews/Parise situations, but maybe I'm wrong.

Kind of like an Eric Johnson, Phil Kessel deal is what I am thinking one or two at most and done.

BU's coach is simply pushing back.

Morin is pushing for a better deal from the MJ organization that owns his rights. BU simply took their associate head coach or assistant head coach and told him "let's make it interesting."

Look, if you use the NCAA route as leverage and most of the NCAA doesn't believe you'll go their route and the finalist in "the hunt" says "we're not interest" there goes some leverage.

BU's coach is simply pushing back.

Morin is pushing for a better deal from the MJ organization that owns his rights. BU simply took their associate head coach or assistant head coach and told him "let's make it interesting."

Look, if you use the NCAA route as leverage and most of the NCAA doesn't believe you'll go their route and the finalist in "the hunt" says "we're not interest" there goes some leverage.

I think we have all seen this tactic before - unfortunately it appears to work. And, if you strategically pick NCAA schools that might be rivals such as BU/BC/UND where all might not want the other to get an upper leg, they all won't give the "we're not interested" response. Obviously, it would be interesting for both UND and BC to rise above the ploy and also state that they are not interested - but the chance that the other might actually land Moron keeps them in play. I think that it is refreshing to hear a coach say I will not be your prostitute - we are not interested!

I think we have all seen this tactic before - unfortunately it appears to work. And, if you strategically pick NCAA schools that might be rivals such as BU/BC/UND where all might not want the other to get an upper leg, they all won't give the "we're not interested" response. Obviously, it would be interesting for both UND and BC to rise above the ploy and also state that they are not interested - but the chance that the other might actually land Moron keeps them in play. I think that it is refreshing to hear a coach say I will not be your prostitute - we are not interested!

Everything that I have read on this kid sends up big time flags, he has OHL written all over him, its seems to say all I am interested in is playing hockey in the NHL and I don't think UND needs a distraction like that. Hakstol recruits character guys and I dunno if this guy fits in UND plans. This is just my opinion. If you going to play for UND The team as to come first. Listen to the way some of the current and former Sioux talked. We had first round draft choices that are just as talented as this kid come back for another year when could have gone for the money.

ME, ME, ME, I, I, I... We don't need or want this kid.

I'm just taking it step by step," Jeremy said. "It's definitely my dream to play in the NHL and I'm trying to reach that. It just felt like the right decision to do what I want to do. It's a good step toward that. Nothing against college, but this is the best fit for me right now to make it."

It was a difficult decision for Morin, who leads his team with 26 goals and 48 points in 46 games entering the International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-18 Championship in North Dakota and Minnesota, beginning Thursday.

"North Dakota, Boston University, they all impressed me," Morin said. "I really liked BU -- great coaches, great atmosphere. But I just didn't think it was the way to go for me right now, so I didn't choose it.

"I'm definitely looking forward to (the draft). I'm not trying to focus on it too much, though. I want to win at the tournament here, but I'm definitely looking forward to it."

Everything that I have read on this kid sends up big time flags, he has OHL written all over him, its seems to say all I am interested in is playing hockey in the NHL and I don't think UND needs a distraction like that. Hakstol recruits character guys and I dunno if this guy fits in UND plans. This is just my opinion.

Agreed.

If all this kid is looking for is a pitstop on the way to the NHL, I would rather he go the OHL-route. Sure, it would be fun to watch him play for a season at UND, but if his attitude matches some of the quotes coming from his and his dad's mouth, then I wouldn't want him with the Sioux.

Kristo promised a sick kid at the hospital that he would put up 60 pts next year.

With him and Cichy putting up 90 points combined, we'll be just fine.

???

I saw Cichy and Kristo play this year against the Fargo Force, and Kristo really impressed me. Quick, excellent puck handling skills, and scored twice in a 6-1 win. Cichy on the other hand, didn't impress me at all, perhaps it was the fact that he was surrounded by a not so good team. I am looking forward to the U18 tourney starting tomorrow, and seeing how Mattson looks.

Agreed.

If all this kid is looking for is a pitstop on the way to the NHL, I would rather he go the OHL-route. Sure, it would be fun to watch him play for a season at UND, but if his attitude matches some of the quotes coming from his and his dad's mouth, then I wouldn't want him with the Sioux.

One oddity is that his brother is at Harvard. Family has to value education at some level, then.