SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

What is the chance that the real voice of reason and respect and unity comes thru!!!! Say a pray to your god or gods that this can be saved I think the name means so much to the relationship between North Dakota and it's great history..

North Dakota would not be North Dakota without the Fighting Sioux!!!!!

So why do we want to get into the Summit when even the coach would rather have the Sioux nickname?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/157221/

"Even Roebuck, whose team may find conference affiliation because of the decision, couldn’t find much happiness in it.

“If given the choice of keeping the name or getting into the Summit,” Roebuck said, “I’d definitely go with the Fighting Sioux."

Then you don't deal with them. Sorry, that's how I view it.

You don't get an excuse to be lazy and slow just because you claim that it's your culture. You get left out of the deal, if that be the case!

You've never been outside the US? Many non-US countries view attitudes like this as American arrogance. And sometimes American companies get left out of the deal because they fail to consider the consequence of accepting that there are cultural differences.

You've never been outside the US? Many non-US countries view attitudes like this as American arrogance. And sometimes American companies get left out of the deal because they fail to consider the consequence of accepting that there are cultural differences.

True.

However, we are (at least temporarily) still the most powerful country on earth both economically and militarily.

American Arrogance as the rest of the world labels it is in many ways a compliment. If we weren't as successful as we are it would be labeled as confidence.

I met two guys while working a bar here in Wisconsin. I noticed one was wearing a Sioux hat. When seeing it, I inquisitively asked him why he had a Sioux hat on. He just thought it was a sweet hat, and after I proceeded to tell him I was a graduate of UND. Then, he was all excited, and called his buddy over. His buddy was like "what's going on" to his buddy, and then the guy told him I was a graduate of UND. Then THAT guy got all excited and proceeded to show me his giant tattoo of the Sioux logo on the left side of his lower left leg, for all to see.

Neither one of these guys went to UND, nor were Native Americans, yet both were sporting Sioux logos, one permanent. However, both knew exactly who AND what the symbol represented. I thought that was pretty neat (although confusing, haha).

What school of UND's "calibre" gets that sort of attention? Sure, the big time universities get that sort of attention I'm sure, but a [recently] former D2 school, in a state not many venture to (nor live in), in complete obscurity...that's unique and special. It's unfortunate that this sort of thing will die. You won't get someone tattooing a Rough Rider (or whatever) logo on themselves just because it looks cool. Not a chance...

I normally like Terry Vandrovec of the Sioux Falls Argus Leader, but he displays a real lack of understanding of the issue in his blog today:

As you probably heard, the University of North Dakota will finally retire the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, but not without making a scene.

Players, coaches and administrators have all dished out some priceless quotes about the situation. One of the best was women's basketball coach Gene Roebuck saying that he'd rather keep the nickname than gain entry in the Summit League, a conference that has said it won't consider the school for membership until the situation is resolved.

Now, why say that publicly? There seem to be only two reasons: A) He really believes that, which seems unlikely given that passing up a spot in a conference that has automatic bids into NCAA Division I tournaments is illogical or B) He's just saying that to stay on good terms with all the nickname loyalists in Grand Forks. And there are a lot of them. And they are powerful.

That's another aspect that is astounding: This development could have been an opportunity for the school and the athletic department to stand unified and rally support for a new chapter, to say, "Sure, this stinks and we tried everything we could to prevent the change, but we're going to make the best of it. We're still going to be UND and we're going to be better than ever."

But it hasn't happened that way; the cringe-worthy comments keep coming. It's reminiscent of 2004, when some UND coaches blasted rival North Dakota State for moving to Division I - only to wind up making the same jump a few years later.

Are you sure he's the one with the lack of understanding on this issue?

I'd say so, did anyone care that NDSU went D1? I still believe it was a huge mistake for UND to go D1. NDSU may feel differently but now they are a goldfish in an ocean rather than a shark in the tank. Sure, once in awhile they'll make the BB tourney and be one and done but that's all it will garner from D1. Let's face it, do you want to go to NDSU in frigid ND or UCLA in sunny Cal. And D1AA is a joke. Nobody even watches their NC game. I bet more people watch D2.

Are you sure he's the one with the lack of understanding on this issue?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. :glare:

The deadline of November 30, 2010, and the goings-on at Spirit Lake and Standing Rock, are fairly major "details" to have overlooked, don't you think? Even the Herald's editorial board--not exactly a big fan of the nickname--understands this.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. :glare:

The deadline of November 30, 2010, and the goings-on at Spirit Lake and Standing Rock, are fairly major "details" to have overlooked, don't you think? Even the Herald's editorial board--not exactly a big fan of the nickname--understands this.

I think Terry was spot on about Roebuck but then he won't be around for the Summit League anyway.

I think Terry was spot on about Roebuck but then he won't be around for the Summit League anyway.

And may I ask where you received this inside information?

Just because Amy Ruley jumped ship when the going got tough doesn't mean Roebuck isn't up for a challenge. I believe that the heir apparent is in place for Roebuck. I just find it strange that a Bison fan already knows the exact timeline. It is amazing how Bison fans have mastered the art of stating opinion as fact.

IMO, Vandrovec questioning what Roebuck does or does not really believe is ridiculous. Roebuck said the identical thing he said at last week's press conference several months ago on the radio coaches' show. It didn't cause much of a stir at the time because relatively few people heard it.

Roebuck's track record is such that anyone who knows much about him knows that generally he says exactly what he thinks--for better or worse. I highly doubt he was grandstanding or just saying something he thought people wanted to hear.

IMO, Vandrovec questioning what Roebuck does or does not really believe is ridiculous. Roebuck said the identical thing he said at last week's press conference several months ago on the radio coaches' show. It didn't cause much of a stir at the time because relatively few people heard it.

Roebuck's track record is such that anyone who knows much about him knows that generally he says exactly what he thinks--for better or worse. I highly doubt he was grandstanding or just saying something he thought people wanted to hear.

And he has been consistent, which cannot be truthfully said of the SBoHE.

So the Fargo Forum this morning basically has Shaft throwing the 2 Sioux tribes under the bus for this mess?!?!

His quote, "...because the efforts we made with the tribes have been exhausted."

And "the board has always been committed to hearing from Standing Rock".

So here is what we have, a total tool in Shaft who has thrown Faison and Kelley under the bus on this issue (and in part for good reason) and now the Sioux tribes, specifically SR.

Leadership in a vacuum is not leadership. I have not heard Shaft or anyone else from the SBoHE give an ACCOUNTABLE reason for their actions on this issue. It's been pointing the finger at someone else from the get-go. Passing the buck to cover your own a**...typical in today's society.

This is setting up to get real ugly. SR will have a vote, the vote will be overwhelmingly in support of the nickname, then everyone get your popcorn and getting ready to watch the show as it's going to get interesting. I'm not saying the nickname is coming back, but this is far from over IMO.

Bottom line, the tribal governments need to given written approval in support and there needs be a long-term binding agreement to keep the nickname. I don't see that happening, but there will be some fireworks yet to come.

Also, I wasn't able to attend the Sioux booster luncheon in Fargo yesterday, but a buddy said it was quite heated and that Faison didn't seem to be having a great time!

Also, I wasn't able to attend the Sioux booster luncheon in Fargo yesterday, but a buddy said it was quite heated and that Faison didn't seem to be having a great time!

This statement could not get any further from the truth. The "issue" was hardly spoken of. And Faison had a huge smile on his face most of the time. Your buddy had given you misinformation.

This statement could not get any further from the truth. The "issue" was hardly spoken of. And Faison had a huge smile on his face most of the time. Your buddy had given you misinformation.

Like I said, I wasn't there. Misinformation...probably? Not like that's ever happened on this site before. :glare:

I was lurking at Boosters also.

"mikejm" gives the accurate account: Amazingly mellow given the circumstances.

Amazing, the difference in reaction between businessmen who have substantial investment in the UND athletics department and message board fans who have nothing to lose by spewing venom and disavowing the AD. :glare:

Amazing, the difference in reaction between businessmen who have substantial investment in the UND athletics department and message board fans who have nothing to lose by spewing venom and disavowing the AD. :glare:

SKIPPY, Skippy, Skippy... :D

On which side of this equation are you placing me?

I need to know whether to feel good about myself today or otherwise.