SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher Recruits

bincitysioux

Good night, and I lived through the end of the Bjorkman era, including seeing every home game, I believe, in '74-'75. With no internet (was Gore even born then), had no idea Broten was anywhere near close to becoming a Sioux. What better reason than that (a less than full scholly for NB), that it was time for Rube to go. Unfortunately, one year too late.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Bjorkman would have even been close to offering the same as the Gophers, Broten would have been a Sioux. But Rube was sure he could get him "on the cheap" because he was the former Roseau Rams coach and resident and knew the Brotens real well. It's too bad because UND had Kevin Maxwell (Chilliwack, B.C.) coming in also. Kevin had 82 points his freshman year as a Sioux and beat out Broten as the WCHA Rookie of the Year. Maxwell only played one year of college before turning pro. He and Broten would have been terrific together.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be Mike "I'm always available to talk about my role on the 1980 US Olympic hockey team" Eruzione.  :huh: 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is definitely the truth.

I always find it interesting how no matter what the setting is, Eruzione always steers the conversation his way regarding the Olympics.

He has done it all.  Won the Cup, Gold Medal, and a NCAA championship.

Are we talking about Ed Belfour here? :huh:

1987 NCAA Championship (winning goalie)

A Cup with the Stars

A Gold Medal with Team Canada

Plus,

A Calder (NHL ROY)

A Crozier (NHL's best save percentage during the regular season)

A couple of Vezina Trophies (NHL goalie judged to be the best at his position)

Four Jennings Awards (NHL goalie for the team with the fewest goals scored against it)

The Sioux won two of the four NCAA titles played during the Broten/Ericksons careers.  Isn't there a saying about "crying" and "spilled milk"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

four of four would have been better :huh:

I stand corrected, I thought Gino had taken over by then. I heard Brooks tell the story on a radio interview, funny stuff.

MM - revisionist history? Get bent :huh:

There still could be some truth to Herb's story. Gino was an assistant at the time, I think. If so, maybe Herb knew Rube would screw it up but Gino was smart enough to be worrisome.

First things first, the year that Neal won the hobey, Aaron deserved it. Neal will even tell you that; although Aaron will not. Second thing, the deal that was worked out with the Brotens was unique. It was one of the first scholarship offers that included a clause to be able to leave to go pro early and be able to come back and finish school for free. The ability to have lifelong linemates Butsy and Aaron come play with you too, also weighed in. There has always been a strong Roseau connection with UND, Rube and Deaner having coached there just solidified that pipeline. The failure to land three future NHLers from there is perhaps UND's greatest recruiting failure. Grand Forks is the town that Roseau kids go to for school clothes and WDAZ Sioux games are televised there.

Piece two. How can Dubay make the comparison of Kessel and Wheeler and crew to Tkachuk, Roenick, Amonte and crew. I hope the best for those kids (except when they play UND), but to compare them to 3 guys with 1000+ NHL goals among them is ridiculous.

This forum has had one inappropriate post, and those referencing it, removed. Use of vulgar language will not be tolerated.

GDM

Forums Moderator

SiouxSports.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice work, Mr Moderator, but couldn't bertibm's boobies have stayed for one more post? :huh:

Are you cracked? You should see who he has for sources. The guy knows what he is talking about. For the Sioux fans that have met him (Heff, Jimtownguy etc...) and talked to him in person would agree, that he knows what he is talking about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dubay is nothing more than an over glorified fan.

The key to make Kessel a non factor is to not give him any space.  If you give up a skate step on you, he's gone.  However, like Vanek, I think he'll be next to useless defensively. 

Prove me wrong, Kessel.  I dare you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Teams I believe are going to play Kessel this way. Give him no room to roam and hit him every chance they get. I remember some of the WJC teams doing this to him. I think Kessel is going to become aquainted with Mr Prpick this season. I remember him checking Vanek up and down the ice. Something like this "hack, smack, wack and chirping the whole way.

I'll give Phil a little ink since I have seen him play a lot of hockey games with the U18's against both international and NCAA Div 1 teams. He has a VERY accurate shot with a VERY quick release and has broke most of the scoring records at the NTDP. His skating is elusive because of his change of speed which isn't apparent until you actually play against him. He was extremely successful against Div 1 defenses last year and it is difficult to imagine him not being extremely successful again this season. The rule changes will only play to his advantage (which is what the game needs, but that is another thread).

That all being said, he isn't unstoppable if there is an appropriate game plan to contain him. Many of the games are won before the game is played, and our coaching staff will get it done. He won't be as successful against UND, because we will smother him.

CAVEDURTIS,

wow don't get to serious here on the SIOUX board going back and forth regarding a GOPHER. phil kessel is a great talent yes, but i could gives a rats azz as well as many other sioux fans on what kessel does.

mr kessel, heres some friendly advice. when at the ralph friday dec 9th, keep yo head up young buck.....