SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher Recruits

bincitysioux

Can't remember the name of the kid, but the Gophers lost a highly touted recruit today. He's from Bloomington, going to be a senior in HS this year, but elected to play pro in a junior Canadian league after high school, foregoing his college eligiblility. I heard it on the PA and Dubay show this morning. Sorry I can't remember the name, I'm sure somebody on here does. Jeff Dubay also talked about how the incoming class from Minnesota, which includes Kessel, is supposedly the best class from any region since the class of the the late 80's from Massachusettes that included Roenick, Tchachuk, and others. Just wondered if anybody else heard this and what they thought.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember the name of the kid, but the Gophers lost a highly touted recruit today.  He's from Bloomington, going to be a senior in HS this year, but elected to play pro in a junior Canadian league after high school, foregoing his college eligiblility.  I heard it on the PA and Dubay show this morning.  Sorry I can't remember the name, I'm sure somebody on here does.  Jeff Dubay also talked about how the incoming class from Minnesota, which includes Kessel, is supposedly the best class from any region since the class of the the late 80's from Massachusettes that included Roenick, Tchachuk, and others.  Just wondered if anybody else heard this and what they thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Age wise he would have been a Junior in high school this year, but was originally planning on accelerating his high school and enrolling at the "U" a year from this fall. He probably made the best choice as he played a part college schedule as a 16 year old.

I'm confused.  Are we playing the season now, or are we still just giving the Gophers the championship?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D You're right Fedorov. Clearly, this is the best recruiting class in the history of hockey. It's a good thing the 1980 Soviet Olympic team is past its prime because the 2005-2006 Gophers would give them an a** kicking they wouldn't soon forget. ;)

:D You're right Fedorov. Clearly, this is the best recruiting class in the history of hockey. It's a good thing the 1980 Soviet Olympic team is past its prime because the 2005-2006 Gophers would give them an a** kicking they wouldn't soon forget. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would we need this recruiting class to kick the '80 Soviets a**, thats what Neal and the boys were for. ;)

"Jeff Dubay also talked about how the incoming class from Minnesota, which includes Kessel, is supposedly the best class from any region since the class of the the late 80's from Massachusettes that included Roenick, Tchachuk, and others. Just wondered if anybody else heard this and what they thought."

You could have stopped after the first two words in your sentence...Jeff Dubay. What else would you expect him to say? Those who have a balanced view would look at North Dakota, Michigan, and Minnesota's recruiting classes for 2005/2006 and conclude that they are all very good on paper for whatever that is worth.

"Jeff Dubay also talked about how the incoming class from Minnesota, which includes Kessel, is supposedly the best class from any region since the class of the the late 80's from Massachusettes that included Roenick, Tchachuk, and others. Just wondered if anybody else heard this and what they thought."

You could have stopped after the first two words in your sentence...Jeff Dubay.  What else would you expect him to say?  Those who have a balanced view would look at North Dakota, Michigan, and Minnesota's recruiting classes for 2005/2006 and conclude that they are all very good on paper for whatever that is worth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Jeff Dubay is not what I call a credible source the guy is nothing more than a Gopher Hockey Geek/rube that got lucky and ended up in the chair of a major sport talk radio station. I guess that being said there is hope for us too.

I agree Jeff Dubay is not what I call a credible source the guy is nothing more than a Gopher Hockey Geek/rube that got lucky and ended up in the chair of a major sport talk radio station. I guess that being said there is hope for us too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you cracked? You should see who he has for sources. The guy knows what he is talking about. For the Sioux fans that have met him (Heff, Jimtownguy etc...) and talked to him in person would agree, that he knows what he is talking about.

Are you cracked? You should see who he has for sources. The guy knows what he is talking about. For the Sioux fans that have met him (Heff, Jimtownguy etc...) and talked to him in person would agree, that he knows what he is talking about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BOOBIES! :huh:;):lol:

BTW, one of the greatest Herb tale ever is him talking about recruiting Neal.  On signing day he was camped out in front of Neal's house convinced Gino was planning on showing up with a last minute sales pitch and Herb wanted to make sure there was no chicanery!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Rube Bjorkman was the coach for the Sioux when Neal was being recruited. Bjorkman is the guy that will be remembered for not offering Neal a full scholarship. Rube was from Roseau and felt he could get Neal to sign at UND without offering him much. The Brotens didn't have a lot of money so when Rube wouldn't offer more than half a scholarship Neal took a full ride to Minnesota. It's too bad UND didn't change coaches a year earlier, because Gino would most likely have made Broten a Fighting Sioux. Had that happened, Butsy Erickson, Paul and Aaron Broten would have followed Neal to UND.

Actually, Rube Bjorkman was the coach for the Sioux when Neal was being recruited. Bjorkman is the guy that will be remembered for not offering Neal a full scholarship. Rube was from Roseau and felt he could get Neal to sign at UND without offering him much. The Brotens didn't have a lot of money so when Rube wouldn't offer more than half a scholarship Neal took a full ride to Minnesota. It's too bad UND didn't change coaches a year earlier, because Gino would most likely have made Broten a Fighting Sioux. Had that happened, Butsy Erickson, Paul and Aaron Broten would have followed Neal to UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good night, and I lived through the end of the Bjorkman era, including seeing every home game, I believe, in '74-'75. With no internet (was Gore even born then), had no idea Broten was anywhere near close to becoming a Sioux. What better reason than that (a less than full scholly for NB), that it was time for Rube to go. Unfortunately, one year too late.