SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher Recruits

bincitysioux

CAVEDURTIS,

wow don't get to serious here on the SIOUX board going back and forth regarding a GOPHER. phil kessel is a great talent yes, but i could gives a rats azz as well as many other sioux fans on what kessel does.

mr kessel, heres some friendly advice. when at the ralph friday dec 9th, keep yo head up young buck.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gotta disagree with you on this one, AZSIOUX. Yes, this is a Sioux board, but it doesn't mean we have to be homers all the time. I think we're all in agreement that we'd like Phil Kessel to be the second coming of Dave Spehar (well, unless he's wearing the red, white, and blue of the USA), but we'll see what happens. There is no question that the Sioux would be heaping praises upon the kid had we gotten him. Instead, everyone's trying to lobby shots at his defensive prowess. Time will tell of the Parise vs Kessel comparison, but if Kessel brings home so much as one NCAA title to the U of small m, he'll be the clear winner in my book.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mafiaman....honestly i could care less either way. i do agree on the red,white,blue comment... just having some fun during this boring hockey off season. let me know when its october :huh:

if parise is GOD then whats kessel's nickname???

I gotta disagree with you on this one, AZSIOUX. Yes, this is a Sioux board, but it doesn't mean we have to be homers all the time. I think we're all in agreement that we'd like Phil Kessel to be the second coming of Dave Spehar (well, unless he's wearing the red, white, and blue of the USA), but we'll see what happens. There is no question that the Sioux would be heaping praises upon the kid had we gotten him. Instead, everyone's trying to lobby shots at his defensive prowess. Time will tell of the Parise vs Kessel comparison, but if Kessel brings home so much as one NCAA title to the U of small m, he'll be the clear winner in my book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Focus on the Kessel/Vanek comparisons. Vanek came in and needed to help replace tons of points lost with Pohl, Taffe, and Leopolds departures.

Kessel comes to a team that was very spotty offensively for much of last season. If he puts up Vanek type offense the Gophers will be in good shape to compete for WCHA honors. How the Gophers do in the NCAAs will depend on the usual things: injuries, the NCAA draw, hot goaltending, etc...

Like Vanek before him, Kessel's responsibility will be to score. If it turns out that his defensive zone coverage is lacking, the Gophers will live with it. It's not like the Gophers have never had that type of player before or currently for that matter.

So if Zajac leads UND to a National title does that mean he is better than Parise?

Greg Johnson never won anything, does that mean his career at UND was worthless. There was a lot of great gopher players in the 80's and 90's that never won a title(Bonnin, Olimb, Stauber, Crowley) .

The point I am getting at is today in sports most fans are not satisfied unless there team wins the big one. Yeah I always want the Sioux to win, but you cant win it every year. It seems like both Sioux and gophers fans just want to fast forward to the playoffs to see who wins it all (those are the bandwagon jumpers who aren't there when the team is losing). Does anybody just enjoy watching the games any more?

The WCHA is going threw a period now like it did in the 70's and early 80's when it just dominated college hockey. As fans we should all enjoy it. In 2004 UND won the League, Minnesota won the Final 5, Duluth went to the Frozen four and Denver (although they really had no business being there) won it all. This last season we all know that 4 wcha teams made it to the Frozen Four and we got another chance to kick Minnesota's ass. I cant wait for next year, I want UND to win it all, but at the same time you get to watch players like Sterling, Sertich, Gautier, Carle, Potulny, Irmen, and all the incredible freshmen coming in. It is probably one of the best class of freshmen the WCHA has ever had. Some of these guys will never play a game in the NHL, but they are more exciting to watch anyday.

I am a Sioux fan 1st, my second favorite team is the one playing against the gophers and my third favorite is the rest.

Kessel comes to a team that was very spotty offensively for much of last season.  If he puts up Vanek type offense the Gophers will be in good shape to compete for WCHA honors.  How the Gophers do in the NCAAs will depend on the usual things: injuries, the NCAA draw, hot goaltending, etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You better hope that Frazee is better than Briggs or your going to be in the same boat as last season. Either that or the Gophers are going to have to score a tone of goals.

"The WCHA is going threw a period now like it did in the 70's and early 80's when it just dominated college hockey. As fans we should all enjoy it. In 2004 UND won the League, Minnesota won the Final 5, Duluth went to the Frozen four and Denver (although they really had no business being there) won it all. This last season we all know that 4 wcha teams made it to the Frozen Four and we got another chance to kick Minnesota's ass. I cant wait for next year, I want UND to win it all, but at the same time you get to watch players like Sterling, Sertich, Gautier, Carle, Potulny, Irmen, and all the incredible freshmen coming in. It is probably one of the best class of freshmen the WCHA has ever had. Some of these guys will never play a game in the NHL, but they are more exciting to watch anyday."

Excellent thoughts 1HakFan. The WCHA is riding a nice wave of momentum right now and as a fan of the league in general this makes for great competition during the regular season as well as the playoffs.

So if Zajac leads UND to a National title does that mean he is better than Parise?

Greg Johnson never won anything, does that mean his career at UND was worthless. There was a lot of great gopher players in the 80's and 90's that never won a title(Bonnin, Olimb, Stauber, Crowley) .

The reality is with 12-14 freshmen coming in this year I'll be happy if we are able to win home ice advantage for the WCHA playoffs.

Minnesota didn't lose much, CC didn't lose much, Denver lost some scoring but are saying this freshmen class is better than last, Wisconsin lost a goalie and that's about it.

I'm keeping my expectaitons low for UND this year but hoping our freshman defensemen are able to step in right away like Minnesota's did last year. If they do we have a chance again. If not it could be a rough season. But hey that's college sports.

Good point, Stack. I'd rather be an over-achiever at season's end (like UND) rather than a big under-achiever (UMD). I'll say one thing about fast-forwarding...can we just cut to October 2nd right now? That'd be great. And while I'm wishing, how about un-banning boob avatars please. Thank you. :huh:

CAVEDURTIS,

wow don't get to serious here on the SIOUX board going back and forth regarding a GOPHER. phil kessel is a great talent yes, but i could gives a rats azz as well as many other sioux fans on what kessel does.

mr kessel, heres some friendly advice. when at the ralph friday dec 9th, keep yo head up young buck.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is good advice, because he is going to get it handed to him just like Bochenski and Parise did. They had guys taking runs at them all of the time. I expect big mike to be on him the whole time he is on the ice.

The "winner" in terms of who meant more to and accomplished more for the program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would we have the Shattuck pipeline if Zack would have went to Minnesota? Remember his brother lead us to a national title game? I am not trying to argue, but Zack helped the program in other ways then his being here for 2 years. He will also be dedicated to the Sioux hockey family for a lifetime like most of the other alumni. I dont know what kind of person Kessel is. But I bet that in 5 years a guy like Thomas Vanek will lose touch with U of M.

Zack seems like most of our alumni that will do anything for the program. Weather its finacial donations or donating Jerseys and other things. Playing in the Siouxperswing. Belfour was only here one year and he was the talk of the town in Columbus. Ed gave the school a lot of publicity in Canada. Look at the 99 stanley cup playoffs, Then he brought the cup back. Zack is the same as our most the guys who come here. I think that helps for recruiting.

My point is that guys like Zack help the program in other ways. There dedication is here for a lifetime. Maybe Zack will have a son and send him here in the future. We have 2 sons of former players and one nephew coming this year. Some players are so greedy they spend there time to get to the next level and they leave and you never here from them again. Is that good for the program.

sorry, good post but i had to do this...

its ZACH not ZACK :huh:

Would we have the Shattuck pipeline if Zack would have went to Minnesota? Remember his brother lead us to a national title game? I am not trying to argue, but Zack helped the program in other ways then his being here for 2 years. He will also be dedicated to the Sioux hockey family for a lifetime like most of the other alumni. I dont know what kind of person Kessel is. But I bet that in 5 years a guy like Thomas Vanek will lose touch with U of M.

Zack seems like most of our alumni that will do anything for the program. Weather its finacial donations or donating Jerseys and other things. Playing in the Siouxperswing. Belfour was only here one year and he was the talk of the town in Columbus. Ed gave the school a lot of publicity in Canada. Look at the 99 stanley cup playoffs, Then he brought the cup back. Zack is the same as our most the guys who come here. I think that helps for recruiting.

My point is that guys like Zack help the program in other ways. There dedication is here for a lifetime. Maybe Zack will have a son and send him here in the future. We have 2 sons of former players and one nephew coming this year. Some players are so greedy they spend there time to get to the next level and they leave and you never here from them again. Is that good for the program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not disagreeing with intangibles, #1Hakfan, I'm strictly speaking in terms of on-ice accomplishments. Charles Barkley won one and maybe two NBA MVP awards, yet he would trade all of his individual accomplishments for a ring. NHL players won't even touch the Stanley Cup unless they have won it. You think Steve Yzerman was happier scoring bunches of goals every year prior to 1997 or when he won his first cup that year?

I find it funny that you comment about "maybe" Zach having a son and him going to UND. I'm sure J.P. Parise never dreamed of a day when his kid would be wearing Sioux green over Gopher maroon and gold. You never know...

Bottom line is I'm not being critical of Zach Parise in any way, shape or form. I'm simply pointing out that his "mission statement," if you will, was that he was going to win an NCAA title at UND, yet he only gave himself two years to accomplish that goal and was gone. I'm not faulting him or belittling him for that decision. I'm happy he played at UND and I'm happy he's steering kids to North Dakota.

I'm simply pointing out that his "mission statement," if you will, was that he was going to win an NCAA title at UND, yet he only gave himself two years to accomplish that goal and was gone.  I'm not faulting him or belittling him for that decision.  I'm happy he played at UND and I'm happy he's steering kids to North Dakota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offense, Mafia Man, but I think you're buying into the Gopher spin on this. Parise did say that one of his goals was to win a national championship at UND. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the goal of every player who comes here.

Parise was paraphrased in a Star Tribune story as saying that he wouldn't leave UND without a national championship. It wasn't a direct quote. It was the reporter's interpretation of something he said.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if he ever actually said this to a reporter. I interviewed Parise a couple of times and discussed his goals as a player and when he might leave UND. He was always very careful to make no firm commitment as to how long he intended to stay.

That's why when Gopher fans bring out the "Parise quote" on winning a national championship at UND, I take it with a grain of salt.

Maybe the heat and humidity is getting to me, PCM.  Either that or living in the middle of Gopher-land is taking its toll on me.  I'll try using "the force" to resist the dark side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The conversion has begun. ;);):huh::lol:

I was just glad ZP decided to stay in the WCHA so I could watch him play. Good for the league and its fans when great players choose WCHA teams....even if it isn't "your" team. I think this past year's all-WCHA final four is a result both the talent & the competition level in the league.

Which Sioux season was more successful as a whole, the '03-'04 WCHA Champs with ZP and Bochenski or the '04-'05 NCAA Finalists?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good question. The 03-04 team was extremely good and a lot was expected of it. Although the Sioux didn't make it to the Frozen Four, they did win the WCHA. They came away with something to show for their efforts.

The 04-05 Sioux were expected to be good, but spent much of the season lowering those expectations. If you would have told Sioux fans last October that UND would play for the national championship, they'd believe it. But if you would have told them the same thing in mid-February, they'd say, "Yeah, right. Get real!"

I think the 03-04 Sioux team underachieved. But it's hard characterize the 04-05 team because it wasn't good when it was expected to be and then became very good when it wasn't expected to be.

Even though the 04-05 Sioux team didn't come away with anything other than a runner-up trophy for its efforts, the players wrote another chapter in the history of Sioux hockey that I think fans will remember for many years to come.