SiouxSports.com Forum

Murray's Leaving

The Sicatoka

Yeah bring em' in for a year maybe two and watch em' take off for the first offer they get.  It gets very frustrating from a fan's perspective and I am sure for the coaching staff as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree it is very frustrating, although this may be one of very few chances Murray may see. We all know about his shoulder troubles, but how much do we really know? Could it be possible that the injury was severe enough that his career might be limited? Maybe a couple of years is all he has... and for a young man that has since childhood hung his hat on a career in hockey, he had better act quickly. I'm certainly not saying this is indeed the complete scenario, but I do believe that these factors had at least some role in his decision. As far as taking off for the first offer, yes, it's frustrating for the fans... but in this case at least, I think I can understand.

The only thing that frustrates me about this whole thing is that I don't think we ever saw his true potential. Maybe he could have been one of the best in Green and White, but now he's destined to become "another good forward" in Fighting Sioux Hockey history. That, IMO, is too bad.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Yeah bring em' in for a year maybe two and watch em' take off for the first offer they get.  It gets very frustrating from a fan's perspective and I am sure for the coaching staff as well. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the "price" of having a top-tier hockey program, unfortunately. Moreover, it reflects college sports in general. FB and BB at top schools see frequent turnover as their best talents go pro and live their dreams. While it's nice to see the "stars" for a year or two, every program depends on its grinders who work their tails off in relative obscurity for four years.

Yep... and if I'm not mistaken, tax free. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless he expatriates his US citizenship he has to pay US taxes. The IRS will hunt you down no matter if you're in Switzerland or Mongolia, so long as you are drawing income. :sad:

It sounds like Murray had a very rare opportunity that he almost had to take. That is a pile of money to be playing in Europe, and Switzerland is a place many people can only dream of living. In GF you can drive a couple of hours and be in Winnipeg or Minneapolis. In Switzerland you can drive the same time and be in Paris, Munich or Rome.

IMO Brady would be a fool not to jump on this opportunity.

Wouldn't it be absolutely refreshing if one of these players said, " It isn't all about me and money, I've made a commtment to this program and want to stay and help win a national championship." I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be great to finally find a player that put something first instead of themselves. Unfortunately greed will prevail. As you can tell I, too, am fed up with constantlly fielding what amounts to a junior college hockey program.

DG

Why would Buffalo want him to sign now. In my HMO he isn't even close to playing in the NHL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A rather unlikely scenario. There is no CBA, therefore, NHL teams cannot sign anybody.

Pentaxman,

Are you still working at the same minimum wage job you always have? It would be nice if you would be loyal and stay at McDonalds. But I guess greed is always a factor. A person has to look out for himself first and foremost and worry about his own future, because goodness knows, nobody else is going to look out for him.

Wouldn't it be absolutely refreshing if one of these players said, " It isn't all about me and money, I've made a commtment to this program and want to stay and help win a national championship."  I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be great to finally find a player that put something first instead of themselves.  Unfortunately greed will prevail.  As you can tell I, too, am fed up with constantlly fielding what amounts to a junior college hockey program.

DG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, you're probably never going to see that again. Unless of course, you start watching the women's game. And that probably won't happen either. :sad:

You can still see professional women who play because they love the game more than they love money.

Not like there's anything wrong with loving money, but you get my point.

Pentaxman,

Are you still working at the same minimum wage job you always have?  It would be nice if you would be loyal and stay at McDonalds.  But I guess greed is always a factor.  A person has to look out for himself first and foremost and worry about his own future, because goodness knows, nobody else is going to look out for him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about sticking it out for 4 year's and actually earning a degree. Oh yeah I forgot that most of the hockey players rarely go to class anyways. This was really a surprise to me......a new trend in college hockey........defecting to Europe!

I talked to a few people close to Matt Jones including his girlfriend and they all said that the reason he stayed for his senior year was because he wanted to stay loyal to his four year committment.  Is he an exception?  Sure but there are or atleast one who has stayed loyal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great to hear.

Wouldn't it be absolutely refreshing if one of these players said, " It isn't all about me and money, I've made a commtment to this program and want to stay and help win a national championship."  I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be great to finally find a player that put something first instead of themselves.  Unfortunately greed will prevail.  As you can tell I, too, am fed up with constantlly fielding what amounts to a junior college hockey program.

DG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Along this line, I would like to give props to Matt Greene for staying last year. It was pretty obvious that Edmonton wanted Matt to turn pro a year ago...it might have been in Matt's best interest financially to do so but he chose to come back and I believe was a major factor in the Sioux going to the championship game.

If Matt leaves this year I will wish him well and respect his decision. He would still have stayed a year longer than he had to.

Jeff Panzer and Jason Blake are 2 others that played their 4 years out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, two other good examples, even though Jeff hasn't really played in the NHL. Jason Blake has carved out a pretty good role with the Islanders and even been on ESPN's top plays once with a circus-like goal.

Jeff Panzer and Jason Blake are 2 others that played their 4 years out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was mostly because no one was chomping at the bit to sign them, both were undrafted. Although I am glad they stayed all four years if the offer would have been there things probably would have been different. The same thing for Matt Jones, I don't think Phoenix was in any hurry to have him turn pro. He will have a tough time making the NHL anyways. It is great that he wanted to fulfill his four years but I think things are different when the almighty green is put in front of you.

That was mostly because no one was chomping at the bit to sign them, both were undrafted. Although I am glad they stayed all four years if the offer would have been there things probably would have been different. The same thing for Matt Jones, I don't think Phoenix was in any hurry to have him turn pro. He will have a tough time making the NHL anyways. It is great that he wanted to fulfill his four years but I think things are different when the almighty green is put in front of you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bolded the pivotal parts of this post because that is the reason they stayed. Though being undrafted doesn't necessarily mean you are guaranteed a four year player (See Roche, Murphy, Curtis Glencross, and others), they have a disproportionally greater chance of actually staying the course.

First round draft picks rarely stay four years (have any stayed four years at any school?). The same could be the case with second through 5th rounders. Bochenski, I feel, was the exception to the rule about late round draft picks staying four years.

I understand that David Hale turned down very solid first-round bonus money to return for his junior year at UND, largely because he wanted to get the prgram back on track after a disappointing season in 2001-02.

The big problem that has bitten the Sioux in the last few years is professional offers that sunset for one reason or another. Parise's choice was to take a big bonus (close to $1 million?) or wait for at least a season for what would almost certainly be a smaller bonus. Hard to say "no" when the offer expires soon, with no idea what a future offer might include.

Murray faced a similar dilemma. I don't understand the specifics of the Swiss league eligibility issue, but on the surface it appears that he either took this offer now or nothing later, as it wouldn't be available to him later.

It's disappointing, as I had hoped he would stylistically be the heir to Jeff Panzer, but totally understandable. I wish him well.

I have thought for a while that UND since the new arena was built has turned into Michigan. Terrific high-level recruits, regularly nationally competitive, but falling short at the end, partly because of a lack of experienced impact players. UND's top line has had the following makeup in the last few years:

2002-3 freshman, sophomore, other

2003-4 freshman, sophomore, junior

2004-5 freshman, freshman, sophomore

I think the near-term and medium-term future is bright, but this will continue to be a drag on UND and other top programs.