SiouxSports.com Forum

Murray's Leaving

The Sicatoka

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I am getting sick and tired of watching these kids leave early.

I remember when the older Lundbohm left early and look where it got him.

Oh, well thats what happens when your a top program. Oh course there are many kids that will take their place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They come to this school because a hockey career is their ultimate goal so what can you do when an opportunity knocks. I guess we will definitely see a lot more of Fabian next year which could be a good thing. I can't wait for more of his highligt reel goals. :sad:

its a new age. the money is out there and you go when you can. a top notch program like this will always have a few players leave early and some not but the best part is that we RELOAD not rebuild...best luck to brady...bring in oshie. kozek, duncan and toews!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, well thats what happens when your a top program. Oh course there are many kids that will take their place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its a new age. the money is out there and you go when you can. a top notch program like this will always have a few players leave early and some not but the best part is that we RELOAD not rebuild...best luck to brady...bring in oshie. kozek, duncan and toews!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a feeling some of these kids won't be here long either if tradition of getting the best players seems to keep playing out. I really don't mind Fabian gutting out a few 10-15 ugly goals a season. A goal is a goal and the kid impressed me with his effort this past season.

I have a feeling some of these kids won't be here long either if tradition of getting the best players seems to keep playing out. I really don't mind Fabian gutting out a few 10-15 ugly goals a season. A goal is a goal and the kid impressed me with his effort this past season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really enjoyed some of his goals because he got them by going hard to the net. One of the few players who did that last season.

I'm no expert, but I disagree with Murray's decision to leave early. He was injured alot last year and I think another year here would have done him some good. Have a good year this year, add to the value of his stock and I think money would be there for him. He was dominant on the ice and controlled the flow of the game when he was playing. And contrary to what some have said, he was very scrappy and did not hesitate to get into it in the corners, etc. I think he can carry that part of his game into the pros. It's true that because of his skill level, he was a target. That certainly won't change in the pros.

As far as jumping on $300,000, I'm also a little shakey on that. In reality, that's not much money (lots of people everyday people do that number every year)...of course, he can always use the cash to return to school and finish his degree, as so many have done. So maybe the timing was ok and he grabbed it. Why not, as long as he can keep his options open...

I've met few people who had more class than Brady or his dad. They are both what is good about college and pro hockey. Andy Murray always took the time to talk with fans and was a common site at the REA this year. I hope that he will return to scout from time to time, but once the NHL fires back up, that won't be too likely...

I suppose Stafford is next...

Suprise suprise. I thought Brady would be around for sure this season. Guess you never know. Congradulations and good luck to him, this is a big step in his hockey career. I wonder if those euro leagues suit a player of brady's type (smaller, faster, skill players) more than the WCHA recently. If this is true, I would guess that this move will be a good one for his development especially since his shoulder injuries happend. I do believe he has the skill to make an NHL'er, he can skate pass and shoot at that level no doubt, but like somone posted earlier, he'll probably have to play a fiestier game. Good luck to him in Switzerland. Hell If I were him I'd probably do it too. 400 grand, a car, apartment, and a move from north dakota to switzerland? Sounds pretty enticing to me.

I really enjoyed some of his goals because he got them by going hard to the net. One of the few players who did that last season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the kind of goals UND needs. In close crash the net. The kid will probably gladly fill that role. Lee Goren was like that too.

Wow.

This one really hurts. Probably because it was so unexpected.

Looks like the Sioux are finding new ways to lose players. I wasn't aware of this loophole that applied to Brady and the Swiss league, but I can't blame him for taking the money when it presented itself.

It was great to have had him in the program. I wish nothing but the very best of luck to him.

Though unexpected, the Sioux'll find a way to recover. Why? Because that's what they do - they're the Fighting Sioux from North Dakota U.

I'm no expert, but I disagree with Murray's decision to leave early. He was injured alot last year and I think another year here would have done him some good. Have a good year this year, add to the value of his stock and I think money would be there for him. He was dominant on the ice and controlled the flow of the game when he was playing. And contrary to what some have said, he was very scrappy and did not hesitate to get into it in the corners, etc. I think he can carry that part of his game into the pros. It's true that because of his skill level, he was a target. That certainly won't change in the pros.

As far as jumping on $300,000, I'm also a little shakey on that. In reality, that's not much money (lots of people everyday people do that number every year)...of course, he can always use the cash to return to school and finish his degree, as so many have done. So maybe the timing was ok and he grabbed it. Why not, as long as he can keep his options open...

I've met few people who had more class than Brady or his dad. They are both what is good about college and pro hockey. Andy Murray always took the time to talk with fans and was a common site at the REA this year. I hope that he will return to scout from time to time, but once the NHL fires back up, that won't be too likely...

I suppose Stafford is next...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on, it is hard to argue with the money he is going to make. Tell the posters on this board that $300,000 is not a lot of money - yeah right. I know you are an accountant and you see some people, at least on paper, that do that every year, but let's be real, not a lot of people make that kind of money, even in today's society.

Of late, that is true even in hockey circles. Matt Cullen has played roughly five years in the NHL, and signed a contract to play in Italy during the lockout for about $8,000.00 per month, per reports. That dude has NHL experience and even if the Italian league was year around, he would've made $96,000.00, which is a heck of a lot less than what Murray is being offered with no pro experience, for 40 games nonetheless.

Murray's signing is a no-brainer for the kid.

Also of note, Murray is a great player, but played little this past season and UND still participated in the national championship game. His leaving is a big loss, but let's not overstate its importance.

Also of note, Murray is a great player, but played little this past season and UND still participated in the national championship game.  His leaving is a big loss, but let's not overstate its importance.

Agreed. With Murray, next year's Sioux team would have been scary deep at forward. Without him, they are still very deep and will score plenty of goals. It's the defense that I am more concerned about. :sad:

As far as jumping on $300,000, I'm also a little shakey on that. In reality, that's not much money (lots of people everyday people do that number every year)..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, If you don't think that is a lot of money, I would definitely be considered poor in your eyes.

It might not be a lot of money to you, but that is a pile of money to me.

It might not be a lot of money to you, but that is a pile of money to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll bet it seems like a pile of money to a 20-year-old kid with two years of college, too.

Listen...In a world where the best sign for a million plus, $300,000 is chump change for a professional athlete...wow, get with it guys...I'm not talking about YOU or ME here, I'm talking about BRADY MURRAY...

TCM, I think I was pretty clear that one of his options would be to take the money and go back to school if it didn't work out...

As per above, I just wonder if he should have let his stock rise a bit more before selling. Afterall, it's just a business deal...

He'll develop for a year either way. Making the assumption that he's signed a 1 year deal based on what I read in the article, what he could sign for next year really just depends on what he does this upcoming year.

So, yes, he could play for the Sioux and sign for $600k next year. Or he could play for the Swiss team and sign for $600k next year. He'll be $300k ahead this way.

Even if it doesn't work out this way and all he signs for next year is $300k when in fact he could have signed for $600k had he stayed at UND, he'd still have the same amount of money at the end of that year. But he would have earned $300k in a year he risked injury, rather than not earning anything.

It seems to be a deal hard to pass up.

Listen...In a world where the best sign for a million plus, $300,000 is chump change for a professional athlete...wow, get with it guys...I'm not talking about YOU or ME here, I'm talking about BRADY MURRAY...

TCM, I think I was pretty clear that one of his options would be to take the money and go back to school if it didn't work out...

As per above, I just wonder if he should have let his stock rise a bit more before selling. Afterall, it's just a business deal...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One way to look at it is this:

Brady Murray was a grade A talent, but his size made his stock drop. So he was a 5th round draft pick.

As for $300,000, it isn't very reasonable to expect a 5th rounder to get a ton of cash for a signing bonus (or is this money we are talking about his actual contract? If that is the case, he may be taking what he can get along with a promise for more once the CBA gets approved). He is worth that much to us, sure, but the big $$$ in contracts and signing bonuses are for those players drafted in the first two rounds for sure and maybe the third round as well.

What was Bo's contract worth? Anyone know?

Losing Brady sucks. It also proves that I was wrong about who would be the first to go.

As for who is next, citing a CBA Agreement article means nothing. The last time they were saying what they did nothing happened anyways. They have to sign the agreement before I will believe they are even close (yeah, that's a contradiction, but right now, they can't convince me squat)

As for $300,000, it isn't very reasonable to expect a 5th rounder to get a ton of cash for a signing bonus (or is this money we are talking about his actual contract?  If that is the case, he may be taking what he can get along with a promise for more once the CBA gets approved).

The Herald article said Murray's deal was rumored to be between $300,000 and $400,000. Who knows whether it's at the low end of the range or the high end? It also includes the use of a car and an apartment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is Lundbohm at now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah bring em' in for a year maybe two and watch em' take off for the first offer they get. It gets very frustrating from a fan's perspective and I am sure for the coaching staff as well. Greene will be next it is only a matter of time. The only hope is if the lockout extends into the college season, otherwise he is as good as gone. When Murray was recruited I thought he was even maybe a bigger catch than Parise because he would likely play all 4 years. Not exactly a memorable career for Murray in a Sioux uni. The good part is we played most of the season last year without him so we won't know what were missing.