SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will the Sioux get next?

siouxnami

Which player would you most like to see sign?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you most like to see sign?

• Jon Ammerman
    • Tysen Dowzak
    • Angelo Esposito
    • Joe Finley
    • Chay Genoway
    • Kyle Hardwick
    • Mario Lamoureux
    • Darcy Zajac
    • Other

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colleges can't recruit juniors in High school, but the players can go talk to the coaches.

Watching the Minnesota State Tourney 3 young standouts come to mind. Jay Barriball (junior) and Taylor Matson (sophomore) from Holy angels and Cade Fairchild (soph) from Duluth East. UND probably doesn't have a chance for the Holy Angels guys, they seem to goto CC or out east.

Other young ones are Brady's brother and David Toews (brother of Jon). Also Ed Belfours son. I have no Idea if he is good or not, but I heard he is an up and comer. UND loves them family ties.

Another kid Mitch Ryan from Cloquet sounds like he is a great player, but he is probably going to Duluth.

Roseau's program is getting good again and look a couple years down the road to keep that pipeline going. Remember the name Aaron Ness. His dad is Jay Ness who played for Sioux in the 80's. Might have been the best Bantam in the State last year.

Also dont forget Aaron Marvin and Jordy Christian.

I also forgot Jordan McIntyre and Micheal Forney(TRF). I bet the recruiting battle will heat up for Forney soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It already is hot. Last week, he told one of the kids he knew from a select team he would choose the Sioux over the Gophers at this point in time. He will be a hell of a player and he is only a Jr. Also QB for TRF in FB. They have a very good group of Jrs and Sophs and could very well get by Warroad next year in section 8.

I know this has been talked about in previous posts but I was wondering if anyone has anything new on Les Reaney. I heard this weekend that he is coming to the Sioux to walk-on. I haven't heard anything of it and I'm not sure its a really good source so I was wondering if anyone has heard anything. I think it would be great if this kid came as a walk-on.

I know this has been talked about in previous posts but I was wondering if anyone has anything new on Les Reaney.  I heard this weekend that he is coming to  the Sioux to walk-on.  I haven't heard anything of it and I'm not sure its a really good source so I was wondering if anyone has heard anything.  I think it would be great if this kid came as a walk-on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was the source sober? ;)

He could get a D1 Scholarship elsewhere or walk on at UND... :D Hummmmm. ;)

He was sober and he lives in Grand Forks and has some close ties to Hak. But I agree I would imagine he would take a scholarship elsewhere before walking on here unless he wants to be a Fighting Sioux that bad which you can't blame him for that. Also the last I heard his offers were from schools like Alaska Fairbanks so walking on at UND wouldn't be all that bad.

From http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/01/27_009752.php

Ideally, Reaney would like to remain within driving distance of his hometown of Ceylon, Sask.

The short list: North Dakota, Alaska-Fairbanks, Merrimack, Maine, Wisconsin, Michigan

The frontrunner: North Dakota has always been Reaney's dream destination, ...

At 6'2" and 225 he seems a little "thick" compared to other guys on the current UND roster.

http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/rosters_prof...&playerID=65682

I haven't been all the excited about Reaney as a recruit after hearing (reading) some comments from fans up in the BCHL about possible weight issues, etc.

However, IF it was true he was coming to the Sioux as a walk-on, I would be very excited. After Fournier I'm a bit gunshy of talented players who have weight or work ethic issues, relying on talent alone. However, if the guy wants to come in as a walk-on, what a great flyer to take! He either busts his butt to earn ice time or he busts.

Little risk, potential for high gain.

He was sober and he lives in Grand Forks and has some close ties to Hak. But I agree I would imagine he would take a scholarship elsewhere before walking on here unless he wants to be a Fighting Sioux that bad which you can't blame him for that.  Also the last I heard his offers were from schools like Alaska Fairbanks so walking on at UND wouldn't be all that bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Craig Ludwig walked on with the Sioux in 1979...played 3 years and left early to play with the Montreal Candiens. He was part of 2 National Championship teams...1980 & 1982...so you never know. I can't remember if he had any other offers from other schools, but I'm pretty sure he did. I remember talking to him his first year at UND and he said he just wanted to play for the Sioux.

He was sober and he lives in Grand Forks and has some close ties to Hak. But I agree I would imagine he would take a scholarship elsewhere before walking on here unless he wants to be a Fighting Sioux that bad which you can't blame him for that.  Also the last I heard his offers were from schools like Alaska Fairbanks so walking on at UND wouldn't be all that bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he really does want to be a Sioux that bad I hope he does walk on and potentially earn a scholarship in the future. Anyone that would turn down $$$ to come to UND, would certainly give their all for the team...

I haven't been all the excited about Reaney as a recruit after hearing (reading) some comments from fans up in the BCHL about possible weight issues, etc.

However, IF it was true he was coming to the Sioux as a walk-on, I would be very excited.  After Fournier I'm a bit gunshy of talented players who have weight or work ethic issues, relying on talent alone.  However, if the guy wants to come in as a walk-on, what a great flyer to take!  He either busts his butt to earn ice time or he busts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to agree. If Reaney's as talented as his numbers indicate, I still wonder why somebody hasn't made him a solid offer. If he is serious about walking on, I think UND is the place to do it, as the program is probably more receptive to walk-ons than most others. However, he would really have to bust ass, and produce, for that to translate into a solid spot on the team, let alone scholarship $$$ down the road.

I don't worry about him having a Fournier-type mentality, as Fatty seemed to think he *deserved* a spot, rather than working to earn it and keep it. If Reaney works hard, on and off the ice, he may beat the odds.

I haven't been all the excited about Reaney as a recruit after hearing (reading) some comments from fans up in the BCHL about possible weight issues, etc. . . .After Fournier I'm a bit gunshy of talented players who have weight or work ethic issues, relying on talent alone. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The flip side is a guy like Tyler Arnason, formerly a St. Cloud Huskie. He has struggled with weight issues, while carving out a pretty nice NHL career, thus far, anyway.

I'm looking at this from a "bodies" point of view.

As things stand right now, UND has 9 defensemen, 13 forwards, and 2 goalies on the roster. That's a shorter roster than this season and there were a couple of games this year where every healthy skater was dressed. (A couple of times I thought Jake Brandt was going to have to go for the skater's pads and flash that Can-Am Series offensive prowess in WCHA play. ;) )

And let's look at those numbers more closely:

Of the 9 D, one's medical status is an unknown, one (two?) could go professional if the NHL restarts before fall, and two played more games at forward than defense this season.

Of the 13 forwards, one is coming off shoulder surgery that cut his season in half, one is fighting through post-concussion syndrome, and one won't be 18 until after the 2006 NCAA title game.

And you know they need another goalie. The practice load is just too much for two guys.

Now comes the next monkey-wrench: There are only three guys in the class that graduates in May 2006 (Greene, Prpich, Marvin).

You don't want to load up another "bubble class" (nine or ten guys) like this year, but you have to be able to put 20 guys onto the ice every night.

Hak and his staff are going to earn it this summer.

However, IF it was true he was coming to the Sioux as a walk-on, I would be very excited.  After Fournier I'm a bit gunshy of talented players who have weight or work ethic issues, relying on talent alone.  However, if the guy wants to come in as a walk-on, what a great flyer to take!  He either busts his butt to earn ice time or he busts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know the guy, but I am going to jump on anyone who brings up work ethic. I have seen it stated that he battles his weight. I have NEVER seen it said that he has a poor or even questionable work ethic. We should NOT extrapolate one from the other. I have no reason to believe that Les has anything but a typical Sioux work ethic.

The weight issues come up primarily on message boards, as opponent fans seem to like to poke fun at him (Reaney). Seems like there must be some additional issues if the Sioux choose not to make an offer to the leading scorer in the BCHL. Would be great to have him walk on and "earn" a spot in the lineup.

Here's SA Superfans pic of Reaney:

reaney.jpg

I don't know the guy, but I am going to jump on anyone who brings up work ethic.  I have seen it stated that he battles his weight.  I have NEVER seen it said that he has a poor or even questionable work ethic.  We should NOT extrapolate one from the other.  I have no reason to believe that Les has anything but a typical Sioux work ethic.

I understand where you are coming from. I've heard differently and that's why I wrote what I wrote.

sprig, I saw that picture quite a while ago and got a kick out of it. Around the same time someone commented that they were going to paint the golden arches in the crease so he would feel at home there. Good stuff, but I'd love to see Reaney come to UND and succeed.

I think Dean Blais, when asked about recruiting, once said something like: We don't do a lot of selling of our program. We don't want to have to convince guys to come here. We want guys who want to come here, that dream of playing for the Sioux.

If Les Reaney is this type of guy, I like him already.

The weight issues come up primarily on message boards, as opponent fans seem to like to poke fun at him (Reaney). Seems like there must be some additional issues if the Sioux choose not to make an offer to the leading scorer in the BCHL. Would be great to have him walk on and "earn" a spot in the lineup.

Here's SA Superfans pic of Reaney:

reaney.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL is that a crispy Cream. ;) Sure there are negatives, however, I think there has got to be an upside if the kid/guy epecially if he is the leading scorering the BCHL. You don't get to that position by being S#!tty. I remember a player named Tyler Arneson was a bit head case and a little bit heavy, now would be playing yet another year in the NHL this past season if it were not for the Lock Out.

I hope this kid walks on and stars on the team.

sprig, I saw that picture quite a while ago and got a kick out of it.  Around the same time someone commented that they were going to paint the golden arches in the crease so he would feel at home there.  Good stuff, but I'd love to see Reaney come to UND and succeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On a second thought maybe we should have this kid watch super size me.

LOL is that a crispy Cream. ;) Sure there are negatives, however, I think there has got to be an upside if the kid/guy epecially if he is the leading scorering the BCHL. You don't get to that position by being S#!tty. I remember a player named Tyler Arneson was a bit head case and a little bit heavy, now would be playing yet another year in the NHL this past season if it were not for the Lock Out.

I hope this kid walks on and stars on the team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't it this "head casedness" that got him kicked off that European team a while back? Or did he just go crazy and walk away?

I think Arneson just up and quit, but I'm not sure.

Frankly, Arneson was a very talented player, but if we had such a talented player who did not play up to his full ability we'd be ripping on him constantly. See the month of January on this board if you think I am wrong....