SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will the Sioux get next?

siouxnami

Which player would you most like to see sign?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you most like to see sign?

• Jon Ammerman
    • Tysen Dowzak
    • Angelo Esposito
    • Joe Finley
    • Chay Genoway
    • Kyle Hardwick
    • Mario Lamoureux
    • Darcy Zajac
    • Other

I must be doing the numbers wrong because that makes us incredibly forward heavy. It also pretty much guarantees Oshie and Vandevelde will be in the USHL next year.

Unless I'm wrong, which I usually am when it comes to numbers.

And calling me Hammy is pretty low. :D

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would highly doubt that Alexander would play in the USHL next year. UND needs him now. My guess is that he is coming because Bina got injured. If we assume the NHL finally gets going and Greene pursues his pro career, and Bina is unavailable for 2005-06, the Sioux defense roster looks like this:

Smaby

Radke

Chorney

Jones

Lee

Marvin

Foyt

While I really appreciate the roles Marvin and Foyt play for the team, they were the 8th and 9th defensemen last year for a reason. This roster is just plain short, so another guy is needed for next year. I have thought all along they might add a 21-year old from Canada, because he would at least be physically mature. You can't have FOUR 18-year-old defensemen. So they picked up Alexander. (Fargo's almost Canada, right?) It's probably better to add a guy like Alexander, who has at least been through the wars in juniors for a few years, than to mess up the development timetable for guys like Hardwick and Ammerman. Alexander might not be a blue-chipper, but the staff is in a bit of a bind when they need to go defenseman shopping in April. I'm sure they've followed him and think he can help. [Handyman, are you reading? He's from Armstrong. Do you know anything about him?]

Welcome aboard, Todd. You probably grew up wanting to be a Gopher. Now you get to relish beating them.

I would highly doubt that Alexander would play in the USHL next year.  UND needs him now.  My guess is that he is coming because Bina got injured.  If we assume the NHL finally gets going and Greene pursues his pro career, and Bina is unavailable for 2005-06, the Sioux defense roster looks like this:

Smaby

Radke

Chorney

Jones

Lee

Marvin

Foyt

While I really appreciate the roles Marvin and Foyt play for the team, they were the 8th and 9th defensemen last year for a reason.  This roster is just plain short, so another guy is needed for next year.  I have thought all along they might add a 21-year old from Canada, because he would at least be physically mature.  You can't have FOUR 18-year-old defensemen.  So they picked up Alexander.  (Fargo's almost Canada, right?)  It's probably better to add a guy like Alexander, who has at least been through the wars in juniors for a few years, than to mess up the development timetable for guys like Hardwick and Ammerman.  Alexander might not be a blue-chipper, but the staff is in a bit of a bind when they need to go defenseman shopping in April.  I'm sure they've followed him and think he can help. [Handyman, are you reading?  He's from Armstrong.  Do you know anything about him?] 

Welcome aboard, Todd.  You probably grew up wanting to be a Gopher.  Now you get to relish beating them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent points jk.

I would read this as Green is going pro. A class with 4 d-men (essentially 5 with Radke) is to big, among other things it will may you from going after the top D-me for the next few years.

Without Greene this team is going to be so green on defense it is going to be painful. The WCHA is not a league that is made for freshman defenseman, forwards have an easier transition than defenseman. This Alexander kid does not do much for me, he obviously was not recruited much if at all. He is 20 and still seeking a college team. If we are depending on him to be a top 6 d next year we are really in trouble back there. Based on his numbers he is not offensive minded and he is average size at best. Sounds like he is walking on so maybe that will provide motivation to earn a scholarship and he will surprise some people.

Without Greene this team is going to be so green on defense it is going to be painful.  The WCHA is not a league that is made for freshman defenseman, forwards have an easier transition than defenseman.  This Alexander kid does not do much for me, he obviously was not recruited much if at all.  He is 20 and still seeking a college team.  If we are depending on him to be a top 6 d next year we are really in trouble back there.  Based on his numbers he is not offensive minded and he is average size at best.  Sounds like he is walking on so maybe that will provide motivation to earn a scholarship and he will surprise some people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you see something I haven't yet or did I miss a post (as I am prone to do). I do not recall hearing about Greene signing. Until he signs, though I expect he may, I'm not willing to count out our D Corps.

I am feeling better about Alexander knowing he is a walk on. This is a good thing. This means that we can still pursue Dowzak, Ammerman, and/or Hardwick for the 2006 season without worrying about scholarships.

I do believe that we are short on Dmen and Alexander can't hurt us really. No point in being disappointed in his size. He can't help that.

The question I have is why do we need another forward?

A little perspective on Martens. His DOB is 3-10-85, so he's about 4 months older than Duncan, and more than a year older than Watkins and Kozek.

His numbers obviously don't compare too favorably with the other three:

Kozek 60 GP 48-49-97

Duncan 57 GP 48-43-91

Watkins 60 GP 36-38-74

Martens 60 GP 22-40-62

However, when you consider the teams they played on, and Quesnell was lousy, his numbers look a little brighter. With Martens' 62 points, he contributed to 35% of Quesnell's 177 goals scored. Here's how that compares:

Kozek 39% of 246

Martens 35% of 177

Duncan 34% of 268

Watkins 32% of 232

One last note: His hometown is listed as Selkirk, MB, which makes him another Canadian prairie kid headed to UND. He's 20 now, so I'm sure the coaches have seen him play more than a few times in the last five years.

To answer the question posed in the subject of this thread:

This is a post on the BCHL message board today.

Martens BCHL Profile

I missed this on the Quesnel website yesterday. Read down about halfway.

Announcement

2nd on Team in Regular Season Scoring

Overall he was 34th in scoring in the BCHL regular season with 22-40-62. For comparison Watkins was 11th at 36-38-74.

He's one of the few players listed as a Center.

I've corresponded with someone who watches a lot of hockey in the BCHL, and while he's an amateur like most of us he seems pretty knowledgeable and level about the analysis he gives on players. Here's what he said about Martens, FWIW.

Martens is gonna be a great player to watch.  Very skilled with some soft hands.  He was the teams 2nd leading scorer only 3 pts behind the team leader Ryan Kindret (Former Viper).  Its funny when you look at his stats as last yr he only got 29 pts with 56 pims, this yr he had 62 pts with only 18 pims.  Martens was always on the scoresheet playing against the Vipers this season.  I heard from other fans hes a great team leader and liked on & off the ice by everyone.  You guys are getting a good player.

Martens played two years in the MJHL, at age 16 and 17, before moving on to the BCHL for two more years.

2001-02 Selkirk Steelers 59 GP 5-13-18

2002-03 Selkirk Steelers 57 GP 19-30-49

However it works out at UND, I've got to feel good for a kid who has stuck with his (assumed) goal of playing NCAA hockey, and finally made it.

Edit: Martens was picked by Swift Current in the 9th round (157 overall) of the 2000 WHL Bantam Draft.

I don't mind that we picked up another forward. Hopefully he is walking on but I do see some potential in him. He seems like he is improving every year. Anyways I am happy we got another forward so hopefully this means Oshie plays in the USHL next year which I feel is best for him. I just don't think he is ready for the WCHA next year and I think a year in the USHL would prepare him for a great freshman campaign in 06.

I have a question here. I know it was mentioned a while back right after the Minnesoat State Hockey tournament but I haven't seen anything since. It is about Drew Fisher. I heard that he wanted to come to UND and was going to whether it be as a walk-on or a scholarship player. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about him and his situation.

I have a question here.  I know it was mentioned a while back right after the Minnesoat State Hockey tournament but I haven't seen anything since.  It is about Drew Fisher.  I heard that he wanted to come to UND and was going to whether it be as a walk-on or a scholarship player.  I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about him and his situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry I can't add any info, but I do recall that the rumor was that he was going to play next year in the USHL and then try to walk on.

I've corresponded with someone who watches a lot of hockey in the BCHL, and while he's an amateur like most of us he seems pretty knowledgeable and level about the analysis he gives on players.  Here's what he said about Martens, FWIW.

We've discussed whether Heisenberg's site can be used to judge how highly rated a player is relative to his peers. Those at the top of the list probably are the best, but you can't say "this guy was ranked 19th in the BCHL on Heisenberg's site".

That said, Reaney and Martens were both middle of the pack guys on Heisenberg's BCHL site. Reaney was probably a half dozen players higher, but they were in the same grouping.

That might answer some questions.....

That said, Reaney and Martens were both middle of the pack guys on Heisenberg's BCHL site.  Reaney was probably a half dozen players higher, but they were in the same grouping.

That might answer some questions.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Reaney coming to UND? Just wondering.

One last note: His hometown is listed as Selkirk, MB, which makes him another Canadian prairie kid headed to UND. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could he be a relative of Erwin Martens (76-80, Cartright, MB)?