SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will the Sioux get next?

siouxnami

Which player would you most like to see sign?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you most like to see sign?

• Jon Ammerman
    • Tysen Dowzak
    • Angelo Esposito
    • Joe Finley
    • Chay Genoway
    • Kyle Hardwick
    • Mario Lamoureux
    • Darcy Zajac
    • Other

I don't know if the Sioux are recruiting any or all of these players, but here is some of the top remaining talent for 06 or 07.

I included the 4 D-men getting most of the attention here as well as 4 forwards. Esposito will probably go East, but he is a Shattuck guy...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it Chad Genoway. Either way, I saw him and asked him if he was coming to UND and he said basically they are still talking. Chad isn't very big but it sounds like he is a good player. I hope we get him.

Isn't it Chad Genoway. Either way, I saw him and asked him if he was coming to UND and he said basically they are still talking. Chad isn't very big but it sounds like he is a good player. I hope we get him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that it is Charles a.k.a. Chay.

I fear Chay may run into the same problem that lead Hirsch away from UND: space. I think we are really set in forwards at least until 2006. I would expect Chay to jump at the first opportunity to play, but who knows.

I don't know much inside info on who UND is recruiting, offense-wise.

I'm pretty sure we're recruiting Dowzak and Hardwick. But even there is question marks.

Hak is up to something, I know it. I have faith that what he's doing is going to be good. I only hope that, if the worst scenario happens (Greene and Smaby go early) that we get both Ammerman and Hardwick fast. I wish we could get Dowzak and Finley but they are both juniors right now. :glare:

A year in juniors helped Brady Murray.

A year in juniors seems to have helped Ryan Duncan.

A year in juniors, expecially since his season ended early with a leg injury, wouldn't hurt Chay Genoway.

Fall of 2006 who knows what the needs will be. Will there be early departures?

A year in juniors, expecially since his season ended early with a leg injury, wouldn't hurt Chay Genoway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but I guess I always go with the gut feeling of "Who can give me the playing time right now" and not spend a year in juniors.

Berry watched Darcy Zajac play several times this season. If he comes to UND, it would likley be for the '06-07 season. The kicker is there is a brother younger than Darcy who was described to me at the FF as being the "best" hockey player in the family, relatively speaking. Time will tell. Probably one of those cases of Blais recruiting a brother just to get the younger, younger brother. :D:glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who wouldnt' get help with a year in juniors?

And how many players entering into the WCHA each year do not have a year of juniors under their belt?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that's true. But how many players would turn down a scholarship right out of high school for another scholarship that depended upon a year in juniors?

Oh, and I read somewhere that Esposito wanted to play in the Q. Does anyone know where that info is or am I dreaming that up?

... recruiting a brother just to get the younger, younger brother.  ;)  ;)

You mean like recruiting Zach to get Jordan?

No, wait, hold it. Jordie is older than Zach, but Zach came first, but Jordie got us to a title game .... Now I'm confused. ;):D

I am sure this has been posted but I don't know....whatever happened to Luke Beaverson? could somebody please give me the details I don't remember hearing about him since he had committed to us whenever that was. Please give me details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Luke Beaverson

And how many players entering into the WCHA each year do not have a year of juniors under their belt?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your question can be answered if you can get access to WCHA rosters for the past few years. The trends have been changing over time and I think the norm is increasingly a year or two in juniors. In the fall the newspaper entitled Let's Play Hockey often runs the rosters of all Minnesota WCHA teams. For some teams all players have played in juniors and for others there are a couple that have not. I think to answer your question you have to first eliminate the kids who came from USA Hockey's NTDP program because that is similar to a junior program in terms of number of games, level of competition, etc. In addition, you have to eliminate the kids who went to Shattuck-St. Mary's as their level of competition and number of games is similar to juniors. In fact, St. Mary's is a major midget program (the Prep team) and they occasionally play one or two games with junior A teams. My main point is that to answer your question you have to take those two groups of kids out to make the analysis.

We can check this out by looking at a few WCHA rosters for 2004-2005. Looking at the Sioux roster you can see that 100% of the players (23/23 with the elimination of Smaby and Staffford who played at Shattuck) have played juniors. At Denver 96.1% (25/26 have played juniors, this excludes 2 kids who came from USA Hockey's NTDP). At St. Cloud State 95.8% (23/24) played juniors and at Wisconsin 86.3% (19/22 excluding one player from Shattuck and 4 from NTDP). At UMD 96% (24/25) played juniors. In a couple of cases, for the schools analyzed (UMD and Wisconsin), one of the kids who came directly from high school was a goalie.

I would guess that if you went through the rest of the WCHA the result would be about the same. At the top programs it is rare to take a kid directly out of the high school leagues. To do so is a risk on the part of the player and the coach. Now at the University of Minnesota, which I have analyzed in a thread somewhere else on this board, you will find kids that played juniors but only on a pre high school season and post season basis - they never really put in a full year of juniors. Insiders tell me that this is not always wise - sometimes the parent is a coach, the kid is maybe a Mr. Hockey or finalist and they think they are ready. Maybe they are, maybe not. In any case playing juniors is the norm and the % of kids in the WCHA who play a year or more of juniors is likely around 92-95%. With a 25 player "active" roster that translates into 1 or 2 players at most who do not do the junior route. If I had more free time I could run through the entire WCHA.

Your question can be answered if you can get access to WCHA rosters for the past few years. The trends have been changing over time and I think the norm is increasingly a year or two in juniors. In the fall the newspaper entitled Let's Play Hockey often runs the rosters of all Minnesota WCHA teams. For some teams all players have played in juniors and for others there are a couple that have not. I think to answer your question you have to first eliminate the kids who came from USA Hockey's NTDP program because that is similar to a junior program in terms of number of games, level of competition, etc. In addition, you have to eliminate the kids who went to Shattuck-St. Mary's as their level of competition and number of games is similar to juniors. In fact, St. Mary's is a major midget program (the Prep team) and they occasionally play one or two games with junior A teams. My main point is that to answer your question you have to take those two groups of kids out to make the analysis.

We can check this out by looking at a few WCHA rosters for 2004-2005. Looking at the Sioux roster you can see that 100% of the players (23/23 with the elimination of Smaby and Staffford who played at Shattuck) have played juniors. At Denver 96.1% (25/26 have played juniors, this excludes 2 kids who came from USA Hockey's NTDP). At St. Cloud State 95.8% (23/24) played juniors and at Wisconsin 86.3% (19/22 excluding one player from Shattuck and 4 from NTDP). At UMD 96% (24/25) played juniors. In a couple of cases, for the schools analyzed (UMD and Wisconsin), one of the kids who came directly from high school was a goalie.

I would guess that if you went through the rest of the WCHA the result would be about the same. At the top programs it is rare to take a kid directly out of the high school leagues. To do so is a risk on the part of the player and the coach. Now at the University of Minnesota, which I have analyzed in a thread somewhere else on this board, you will find kids that played juniors but only on a pre high school season and post season basis - they never really put in a full year of juniors. Insiders tell me that this is not always wise - sometimes the parent is a coach, the kid is maybe a Mr. Hockey or finalist and they think they are ready. Maybe they are, maybe not. In any case playing juniors is the norm and the % of kids in the WCHA who play a ayear or more of juniors is likely around 92-95%. With a 25 player "active" roster that translates into 1 or 2 players at most who do not do the junior route. If I had more free time I could run through the entire WCHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense, except in these two players' instances. First, Dowzak plays at SSM, an experience that could easily (though not always) transfer immediately to a DI team. I know that Porter, JPar, Duncan, and all played juniors before coming to UND (or is playing juniors) however Dowzak plays as well as any player currently playing D and he's only a junior. Assuming there's no slot for him in 2006, would he turn down an opportunity to play for another WCHA team to spend a year in juniors and take a schollie to UND? I'm betting no.

As for Finley, he's already spent a year in juniors and will spend next year in juniors as well. Maybe we can get both, we may not even be recruiting Finley. But in any case, after a quality prep school experience or, in Finley's case, 2 years already of junior hockey, don't you think you'd take the "right now" instead of "just a little later?"

So...can someone tell me about Mario Lamoureux? I guess he's about the only one I haven't heard anything about. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mario is the youngest of the Lamoureux boys. He has been one of the top players as a squirt, peewee, bantam. He represented North Dakota at the USA Hockey National Festival for the past three years and has drawn attention from North American scouting sites such as U. S. Hockey Report (USHR) and Hockeyscouting.ca. He was on a USA Hockey team last summer that played in Europe and, as already mentioned - had pretty good year in the USHL as a sophomore in high school. He was on the North Dakota 88 bantam team that played for the national championship in Orlando, Florida in 2003 and has also played at the highly selective "Prospects" Hockey Tournament in Toronto with a few other top North Dakota 88s kids last spring (2004). He is a stong physical player who is not intimidated at all. He has good instincts and has finesse to go with the toughness. Would be a great addition for the Sioux

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense, except in these two players' instances. First, Dowzak plays at SSM, an experience that could easily (though not always) transfer immediately to a DI team. I know that Porter, JPar, Duncan, and all played juniors before coming to UND (or is playing juniors) however Dowzak plays as well as any player currently playing D and he's only a junior. Assuming there's no slot for him in 2006, would he turn down an opportunity to play for another WCHA team to spend a year in juniors and take a schollie to UND? I'm betting no.

As for Finley, he's already spent a year in juniors and will spend next year in juniors as well. Maybe we can get both, we may not even be recruiting Finley. But in any case, after a quality prep school experience or, in Finley's case, 2 years already of junior hockey, don't you think you'd take the "right now" instead of "just a little later?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>