SiouxSports.com Forum

Griz vs UND Sept 7

Nodak78

13 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Like Kelly said, the defense deserves a lot of credit. Awful start (besides that first defensive drive), but man did they ever settle in. Montana had 17 total snaps in the 2nd half, 8 of those on the final drive. Some might say because of time of possession, but they had three 3 & outs in a row, so that gave the offense more possession than they probably should have. 

The long drives in second half and Griz 3and outs gassed griz defense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Like Kelly said, the defense deserves a lot of credit. Awful start (besides that first defensive drive), but man did they ever settle in. Montana had 17 total snaps in the 2nd half, 8 of those on the final drive. Some might say because of time of possession, but they had three 3 & outs in a row, so that gave the offense more possession than they probably should have. 

Offense and defense did wonderful job of feeding off each other.  Love how after we scored the defense forced a 3 and out and after the forced 3 and out the offense held onto the ball and kept the MT offense rusty on the sideline.  It was a thing of beauty.  Best offense is a strong defense and best defense is a sting offense.  

• Upvote 1

Going forward, it is good to see that running the ball should be a strength.  The O Line has looked good, hopefully them and Ziebarth can stay healthy.  Would be nice to see Seidl get a few more touches in space, I think he's easily the closest thing we have to a gamebreaker.  As good as we could be running the ball, the passing game is going to have to develop.  11/24 for 97 yards isn't going to beat many teams and teams will figure it out if we are one dimensional much longer.  Appears Romfo can throw the slant route and not much else at this time.  Just need him to be at least mediocre.  And he's going to have to use his legs, to go through the first half with him not having a rushing attempt is ridiculous.  Might be trying to keep him healthy but he might as well be on the sideline if he doesn't run.  

Not sure what got into the defense.  1st quarter they looked completely outmatched and in the 2nd half they really made Montana uncomfortable.  Was incredible to see how much pressure they got on the QB, hopefully that can continue.  MT has some pretty questionable play calling but we put them on their heels.  Our d backs really need to learn how to turn their head around and find the ball on deep routes.  Got away with a DPI or two in the first half.  Finally did it once or twice later in the game and swatted passes away.

Overall, I think if we play MT 10 times we probably beat them once or twice.  We just found a wave and rode it.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Devils said:

Going forward, it is good to see that running the ball should be a strength.  The O Line has looked good, hopefully them and Ziebarth can stay healthy.  Would be nice to see Seidl get a few more touches in space, I think he's easily the closest thing we have to a gamebreaker.  As good as we could be running the ball, the passing game is going to have to develop.  11/24 for 97 yards isn't going to beat many teams and teams will figure it out if we are one dimensional much longer.  Appears Romfo can throw the slant route and not much else at this time.  Just need him to be at least mediocre.  And he's going to have to use his legs, to go through the first half with him not having a rushing attempt is ridiculous.  Might be trying to keep him healthy but he might as well be on the sideline if he doesn't run.  

Not sure what got into the defense.  1st quarter they looked completely outmatched and in the 2nd half they really made Montana uncomfortable.  Was incredible to see how much pressure they got on the QB, hopefully that can continue.  MT has some pretty questionable play calling but we put them on their heels.  Our d backs really need to learn how to turn their head around and find the ball on deep routes.  Got away with a DPI or two in the first half.  Finally did it once or twice later in the game and swatted passes away.

Overall, I think if we play MT 10 times we probably beat them once or twice.  We just found a wave and rode it.

Actually feel the opposite and if we play them 10 times we win more than we lose.  Watching their first half TDs it was a missed tackle a really poor fit by a LB.  Not a ton of adjustments in the 2nd half, we just made plays when we got home.  

They have zero answer for our run game.  Next adjustment is Romfo has to pull one on the zone read and than we need to get him outside the pocket.  Play to his strength.  
Eventually he is going to have to throw, get him in position to have some success as throwing from the pocket clearly not a strength.  

• Upvote 2

I thought as the game got going especially the 2nd half we looked quicker on D (could be help from crowd noise). I would have to see the replay of the game but I thought there was not as much space with our secondary as we have seen before in coverage. Another is that we did not physically look smaller on the defensive front compared to them.

If the defense can play like this game, and the offense can complete about 2/3 of their passes with counted success running the ball we have will be tough for anyone. 

Good thing about this win is we are at home the next week so a let down is less likely. However 2015 after a big road win at Portland State and we fell at home against Idaho State. We need to be effective with the pass next week or the Montana win will mean nothing. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

I thought as the game got going especially the 2nd half we looked quicker on D (could be help from crowd noise). I would have to see the replay of the game but I thought there was not as much space with our secondary as we have seen before in coverage. Another is that we did not physically look smaller on the defensive front compared to them.

If the defense can play like this game, and the offense can complete about 2/3 of their passes with counted success running the ball we have will be tough for anyone. 

Good thing about this win is we are at home the next week so a let down is less likely. However 2015 after a big road win at Portland State and we fell at home against Idaho State. We need to be effective with the pass next week or the Montana win will mean nothing. 

We need to get to a point I’m not so nervous about Idaho St.  

Putting my confidence in Oregon St rushing for 300+ against them and NAIA Western Oregon going for over 100.  

9 minutes ago, homer said:

We need to get to a point I’m not so nervous about Idaho St.  

Putting my confidence in Oregon St rushing for 300+ against them and NAIA Western Oregon going for over 100.  

I know we have our history with Idaho State, but we will roll them at home. Something like 42-14.

Wheelsup mentioned the trick plays. Everyone was expecting us to run trick plays previously....which made then less effective over time IMO.  Use them 5-6 times a year in the right situation when you really need it. 

Also seems like there has to be a way to get Seidl outside and in space more. Looks like we've completely gotten rid of the jet sweep, not sure why. If you've got a fast guy and run in the right spot it seemed like that was usually good for 4-5 yards when we did it with McKinney. As people figure out we cannot throw further than 10 yards up field we won't be able to continue to run up the gut with as much success. Seems like a jet sweep or something to the outside would keep them guessing a bit more. I am truly amazed how our OL is able to dominate for being so young, but teams will wise up and we need to figure out how to spread the field in different ways to continue to be successful IMO. 

I have one issue .... could we please stop this Bubba trying to do The Griddy? It was funny the first time, but I think they have exhausted it by this point and its downright embarrassing. If we didn't know that is what he was doing, there would be no way to know. He looks like he is trying to hop down the hallway on one leg and forgot his cane.

Let's move on to something else.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, gfhockey said:

What are the chances we peaked and now rest of season down hill like ndsu last year

50 percent chance. Now onto Idaho State (just like Northern Iowa last season). Idaho State has stolen UND and Bubba’s momentum in the past. Good thing the game is at home in the Alerus. 

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

50 percent chance. Now onto Idaho State (just like Northern Iowa last season). Idaho State has stolen UND and Bubba’s momentum in the past. Good thing the game is at home in the Alerus. 

Last time we played them at the Alerus we were coming off a big win vs #5 SHSU.  Pretty sure the home team in this series has never won.

59 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I have one issue .... could we please stop this Bubba trying to do The Griddy? It was funny the first time, but I think they have exhausted it by this point and its downright embarrassing. If we didn't know that is what he was doing, there would be no way to know. He looks like he is trying to hop down the hallway on one leg and forgot his cane.

Let's move on to something else.

Yes, he needs a new dance.  Tired

As far as the Griddy I kind of agree, although I guess it all depends if the players are tired of it or not. If they still love it....keep doing it. It probably just doesn't need to be video'd and posted every week...except for maybe a big win, which this one was. 

• Upvote 1