SiouxSports.com Forum

Will Midco be broadcasting UND home hockey games this next season?

Stack

Yesterday I was adding this next season's hockey games onto my calendar. When I look through the schedule at Fightinghawks.com they only show NCHC.tv and not Midco Sports as TV options.   

The football schedule shows MIDCO Sports broadcasting the home games. 

So, I was wondering if anyone knew if Midco is going to broadcast the home hockey games or not this next season?

Yes.  My guess is that whoever is updating the website hasn't put all the info on yet.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/8/4/general-und-athletics-midco-sports-announce-multi-year-television-rights-agreement.aspx

"Midco Sports will broadcast all home hockey, football, men's basketball, women's basketball and volleyball contests. The network will also carry select home soccer and softball games. All contests will be produced and carried on Midco Sports, Midco Sports Two or Midco Sports Plus." 

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You want Jordan Schmaltz. :D :D :D

I'd need an interpreter. 

Please no. lol.  The guy is entertaining, though.  I'll give him that.  He can do the alternate broadcast.

Speaking of Midco, I believe both USD and SDSU's deals with them expire in 2026.  Will be interesting if Forum Communications tries to steal one or both of them away..
Rapid City TV station joining Forum Communications family
Acquisition amplifies company’s South Dakota efforts as news, sports and weather leader. 

“We have big plans in South Dakota,” said Mary Jo Hotzler, chief content officer for Forum Communications. “Mitchell has long been a news leader in the state and is unmatched when it comes to high school sports coverage. Sioux Falls has quickly become a go-to source for news and sports, especially the (SDSU) Jackrabbits, and we are excited about adding Rapid City. This is just the beginning for us in the state.”

• 2 weeks later...

Midco had a huge opportunity but I think they whiffed on this one.  Not only is the CCHA content not bundled with existing content, but there is hardly any discount if you subscribe to both.  Guessing there are a lot of UND, DU, and Omaha fans who would pull the trigger if they had access to both leagues, but who will not buy either individually, or at the price point of the "all-in" bundle.

image.png.05bc09056a9f056b5b9ce2af6168103f.png

47 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Midco had a huge opportunity but I think they whiffed on this one.  Not only is the CCHA content not bundled with existing content, but there is hardly any discount if you subscribe to both.  Guessing there are a lot of UND, DU, and Omaha fans who would pull the trigger if they had access to both leagues, but who will not buy either individually, or at the price point of the "all-in" bundle.

image.png.05bc09056a9f056b5b9ce2af6168103f.png

Agreed $10 discount for package seem lite.  But, I think there longer term play is to pull in NCHC in addition to CCHA.  The $129.99 per year is in line with NCHC TV - last year it was $116.  Looking forward to the day UND is on one streaming platform.  Right now I pay, $116 NCHC TV(not sure if there is a price hike this year or not) plus $80 - Total $196 annually.  I do enjoy the production quality on Midco.  I think we are lucky UND partnered with them.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Agreed $10 discount for package seem lite.  But, I think there longer term play is to pull in NCHC in addition to CCHA.  The $129.99 per year is in line with NCHC TV - last year it was $116.  Looking forward to the day UND is on one streaming platform.  Right now I pay, $116 NCHC TV(not sure if there is a price hike this year or not) plus $80 - Total $196 annually.  I do enjoy the production quality on Midco.  I think we are lucky UND partnered with them.

I agree for the most part.  I just think Midco is missing out on people from DU, Omaha, and UND who maybe don't currently have Midco Sports Plus, but would purchase it if there was additional value - CCHA content in addition to Summit League could maybe get some people over the fence and it could help drive subscription growth.  Other than St. Thomas, there isn't a whole lot of overlap with the teams involved, so I don't think there is much of an opportunity cost in providing better discounts for a bundle that includes both leagues.  Just my opinion.  Biggest issue is obviously the price point, and the contracts/revenue sharing agreements between Midco and each league - if Midco weren't required to distribute any additional money, based on subscription numbers or revenue, this would be easier to implement, but I'm pretty sure at least the Summit League get's additional money if certain milestones are met.  In such a scenario there is also the question of determining how bundled revenue would be allocated between the two conferences.  Perhaps the next contracts can be improved, and better bundling packages can be implemented once Midco gathers more viewership data from the current contracts.

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I agree for the most part.  I just think Midco is missing out on people from DU, Omaha, and UND who maybe don't currently have Midco Sports Plus, but would purchase it if there was additional value - CCHA content in addition to Summit League could maybe get some people over the fence and it could help drive subscription growth.  Other than St. Thomas, there isn't a whole lot of overlap with the teams involved, so I don't think there is much of an opportunity cost in providing better discounts for a bundle that includes both leagues.  Just my opinion.  Biggest issue is obviously the price point, and the contracts/revenue sharing agreements between Midco and each league - if Midco weren't required to distribute any additional money, based on subscription numbers or revenue, this would be easier to implement, but I'm pretty sure at least the Summit League get's additional money if certain milestones are met.  In such a scenario there is also the question of determining how bundled revenue would be allocated between the two conferences.  Perhaps the next contracts can be improved, and better bundling packages can be implemented once Midco gathers more viewership data from the current contracts.

I don't have much interest in the CCHA, mostly because the games all overlap timewise and I'm going to pick an NCHC game every time (generally UND of course).  About the only benefit would be when UND is playing a non conference game against a CCHA school, which to be honest I really hope doesn't happen too often outside of maybe Michigan Tech.  I agree that the sweet spot is when NCHC TV can be folded in.  $129 for the CCHA package seems a little steep, espcially when compared to the quantity of Summit League network plus Mo Valley football, 79 yearly for that is a pretty solid value.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I don't have much interest in the CCHA, mostly because the games all overlap timewise and I'm going to pick an NCHC game every time (generally UND of course).  About the only benefit would be when UND is playing a non-conference game against a CCHA school, which to be honest I really hope doesn't happen too often outside of maybe Michigan Tech.  I agree that the sweet spot is when NCHC TV can be folded in.  $129 for the CCHA package seems a little steep, especially when compared to the quantity of Summit League network plus Mo Valley football, 79 yearly for that is a pretty solid value.

I think @nodakvindy has a good point, are there many of us that would watch a CCHA game? Unless our favorite team is playing there. With NCHC deal and NHL hockey on ESPN+ and Bally Sports North, I don't have time to watch their teams. Just wondering out of curiosity.