SiouxSports.com Forum

Is History Repeating Itself?

Goon

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Berry is satisfied with the results of the 2023-2024 season? Or did you mean he was not satisfied?

Yeah I could see him being satisfied with the regular season. Certainly not any of the postseason. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah I could see him being satisfied with the regular season. Certainly not any of the postseason. 

Sorry for the confusion: he was not satisfied

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wasn't Gwoz fired for non-performance related reasons? I seem to remember it being a politically related firing.

IIRC he was due a large bonus ($1,000,000?) and the AD didn't want to pay it. At the time I thought DU letting Gwoz go was a terrible idea, but it seems to have worked out quite well. I guess there is a lesson there.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Goon said:

Really, then you haven't been listening to Brad Berry. He's "NOT" satisfied with the results of the last season. He was on the next Tuesday with Tim Hennesey after the season was over, and said as much. 

Being not satisfied and making the necessary changes are two different things.  Did he happened to answer where the hell the team was during the first 10 minutes of the third?

At the time, Denver Post reported the reason for Gwoz's firing was both lack of postseason success (5 first round losses in 6 season despite 12 consecutive 20+ win seasons) and inability to reach an agreement on an extension.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Outside of the national championship with Hak's team in year one, what's better about the UND hockey program now than it was under Hak?  Not a single thing.  Everything has regressed.

the food at REA went from 1 Michelin star to 2?

17 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

At the time, Denver Post reported the reason for Gwoz's firing was both lack of postseason success (5 first round losses in 6 season despite 12 consecutive 20+ win seasons) and inability to reach an agreement on an extension.

His firing was suspicious at best, if you take the line that Mike Chambers went with.

If Gwozdecky’s program was not meeting the DU athletic department’s expectations, she should make that case. If the administration doesn’t think the coach is worth whatever salary he was seeking in a new contract, it can defend that choice also. (It should be noted that Gwozdecky’s base salary of $221,000 annually places him well below the median for NCAA hockey coaches, according to data reviewed for us by Dan Fulks, director of the accounting program at Transylvania University, and an NCAA consultant.)

If I were Berry's sensei: 

- end being the friend; time to be coach (and task master) first
- leave the 6/6 mindset; get to 9/3
- it's OK to win by 3 or more, winning by 1 is harder so make it easier on the team 

And finally, grow them in the 'R' months, sort them in the 'Y' months, with focus on crescendo  in the "H and L" months. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

- it's OK to win by 3 or more, winning by 1 is harder so make it easier on the team 

And finally, grow them in the 'R' months, sort them in the 'Y' months, with focus on crescendo  in the "H and L" months. 

Jeebus, are you sitting in a psychiatrist's lobby right now, staring at the wall art?

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

Jeebus, are you sitting in a psychiatrist's lobby right now, staring at the wall art?

Sic is there so often he has all the wall art and floor tile layout memorized.   

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think a perfect blend of Hakstol's discipline and Berry’s father figure approach would be the best of both worlds.

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I’ve posted numerous times that Berry is too nice and that made him a awesome assist. Coach and buffer between the head coach and players but he needs to not be everyone’s friend and be the head coach. Should Schmaltz get the ice time he gets , I don’t think so but he has been here three years do he needs to play according to Berry. He need s to put the best players in the best position to win not just what year your in. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I forgot: 
- the Blais predicate (two equal guys, play the younger to see if he'll develop further). 

14 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Lobby? No.
Office; waiting for the next patient to arrive to advise. 

;) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I’ve posted numerous times that Berry is too nice and that made him a awesome assist.

Hak too was the nice assistant but under "headmaster" Blais. 

Hak's toughest transition (from asst to HC) was from nice guy to "headmaster". Hak made the transition after the Judy's incident*. Hak became a better coach after that. Judy's had Hak prepared for "Columbia lawnmower toss" (followed by a DUI) and strong enough to relieve a guy from the team which was hard but correct. 

One could argue Jon Toews and TJ Oshie made Hak an NHL coach, but not by on-ice but by off-ice performance. 

Berry could learn from that: you don't need be loved, just respected. 

*not speculation; I know who was one of Hak's sensei at that time. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I assume not sleeping for 2 days after the loss would indicate he wasn't satisfied...

TMI. I get you're an insider but revealing that is a little creepy......

17 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I assume not sleeping for 2 days after the loss would indicate he wasn't satisfied...

I'd call it self-awareness of not meeting expectations (his, not outside). 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yeah, but you paid for it by all the time on the couch. :D 

Great; now they all know another of my weak spots?  

I'm transferring my file to Wilbur.   I went to you to deal with my gf trauma, and now I gotta go to Wilbur to deal with this.   Plus, with him, you just eat popcorn and watch old westerns, and you get to play table top-hockey if you stay on your meds between appointments.    

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd call it self-awareness of not meeting expectations (his, not outside). 

Agree - and self-awareness is the first step to fix things. However, in my experience with coaches at any level change is hard.  Most are committed to their style and "systems" and when challenged tend to double down on what they are already doing.  That's where good assistants become very valuable. We need at least one coach on staff that fires the team up and isn't buddy buddy.  And the problem of our late season collapses probably has many causes.  We need to be a team that is hard to play against and plays for all 60 minutes every game - you know, like the team that swept Denver.  I was stunned when that team went away and we reverted to I don't know what - a team that got swept by CC and Omaha.  This might be a coaching problem, a problem with the players, a leadership problem, or a systems problem.  At our level this should not happen.  We didn't build off of that momentum but Denver used it to motivate and regroup.  How do we fix this?  Our ongoing goalie situation is a concern - hopefully our 4th portal goalie will be a stud.  Compare us to Denver's goalie development - and their goalie led them to a natty while we had a confusing situation at the end of the season.  We need to up our recruiting (I know we have a good class coming in) and get back our reputation of developing NHL talent.  Something needs to change and it can't just be "we'll try harder".  And it is stunning when you look at our national record since the Ralph opened that instead of getting some advantages we have regressed in terms of nattys.  Berry needs to adapt.

• Upvote 1