SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

9 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Sad to point out that St. Thomas has already passed UND in MBB and WBB how long until they do the same in hockey? They've got the money. 

Even if this happens (not saying it will), Brad Berry will continue getting contract extensions. Because it's the UND way. :silly:

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Sad to point out that St. Thomas has already passed UND in MBB and WBB how long until they do the same in hockey? They've got the money. 

Hockey isn't the marquis sport on their campus; they've got a high ceiling, but that doesn't mean they'll be displacing blue bloods any time soon. More than anything it's an alternative to Dinkytown to play a quality schedule while living in the cities; Gophers have more to worry about on the recruiting trail than we do.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I am tired of the whole rival's crap. I would rather not see the same boring team four times every year. Let's change it up from year-to-year. 

Agree 100%.  The guaranteed home-and-away games should be changed up yearly.

Editor’s note:  the word “rivals” doesn’t need an apostrophe in this case.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I am tired of the whole rival's crap. I would rather not see the same boring team four times every year. Let's change it up from year-to-year. 

This is my feeling every year when Bemidji is on the schedule.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

They only have to win 9 national titles to pass us!  Getting close!  ;) 

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

They only have to win 9 national titles to pass us!  Getting close!  ;) 

the flagship institution of north dakota shouldn't be afraid of elevated competition....

this is great news for the conference(s)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Dude, give it a rest. Holy Cow! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CMSioux said:

It’s all relative.    Michigan, which has struggled to win natties since your grandparents bought hula hoops, has an endowment about 30 times that of St. Thomas.    

7 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I can’t seem to find the trophy anywhere in the photo…

Never mind, I was zooming in too high.

Speaking of strip clubs, who's going to Kato this year to watch "hockey?";)

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

The "why not us" from Mankato and Bemidji fans today. 

Let's see ...

• UST has Summit ties so that can't hurt with UND, DU, and UNO
  • UST brings MSP market <- #1 reason 
  • Blasi (UST) has Miami connections (and Miami likely thinks UST will move into the NCHC basement) 

16 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I think UST in the NCHC will be regretted by both the School and the Conference.

They are a sleeping giant who will wake up in the next 5 years. They are an asset which will increase in value over time. It is always better to acquire an asset before it increases in value. Which school would have been a better choice? Bemidji?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

They are a sleeping giant who will wake up in the next 5 years. They are an asset which will increase in value over time. It is always better to acquire an asset before it increases in value. Which school would have been a better choice? Bemidji?

I would have stuck with the original 6.  It would have allowed for all teams to play each other 4 times and more opportunities for N/C games.

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You mean original 8. This isn't the 1960's NHL.

There was no Western Michigan or St Cloud originally.

On July 9, 2011, the athletic directors of the six founding schools, Colorado College, the University of Denver, Miami University, the University of Minnesota Duluth, the University of Nebraska Omaha, and the University of North Dakota, confirmed these reports by announcing the conference officially and giving the date for a press conference for further information on July 13, 2011.[3]

3 minutes ago, Big Green said:

There was no Western Michigan or St Cloud originally.

On July 9, 2011, the athletic directors of the six founding schools, Colorado College, the University of Denver, Miami University, the University of Minnesota Duluth, the University of Nebraska Omaha, and the University of North Dakota, confirmed these reports by announcing the conference officially and giving the date for a press conference for further information on July 13, 2011.[3]

Semantics aside, what would you do? Get rid of two schools and go down to 6? That puts us at the absolute minimum number of schools to be a conference.

I say give Miami their walking papers (they are looking to get out on their own) and add Mankato.

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

I think UST in the NCHC will be regretted by both the School and the Conference.

Why do you think that?  Is your only thought that the conference is too big?

3 hours ago, Big Green said:

I am not against it, I think it's good to have an even number of teams. 

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

Why do you think that?  Is your only thought that the conference is too big?

I just don't think UST is going to be the great.  Stepping into a premium conference while trying to build a program is going to be very tough.  Besides Alumni i don't think you are going to get much support from the community.  It is a U of M market and they will be little brother to them.  They will be the new Miami and will not add anything when it comes to SOS.

Also too many teams into conference.  Hate the unbalanced schedule.  After adding ASU it forced them to add a 10th team.  Doubt UST would be in if not for ASU being added.  I have always liked the 6 team conference, thought 8 was too many.  Now 10 is way too many.

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Six? That's five opponents, 20 league games. You have to come up with 14-16 non-conf every year. 

So 1 more road series and 1 more home series.  Doesn't sound like a big deal.

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

I just don't think UST is going to be the great.  Stepping into a premium conference while trying to build a program is going to be very tough.  Besides Alumni i don't think you are going to get much support from the community.  It is a U of M market and they will be little brother to them.  They will be the new Miami and will not add anything when it comes to SOS.

Also too many teams into conference.  Hate the unbalanced schedule.  After adding ASU it forced them to add a 10th team.  Doubt UST would be in if not for ASU being added.  I have always liked the 6 team conference, thought 8 was too many.  Now 10 is way too many.

That could be true about UST.  But, I think the advantages are going to be:

1)  Local recruits know UST.  And UST has a higher profile than SCSU, MSU or UMD.  They will be very competitive recruiting against other Minnesota schools.

2) Transfer Portal:  MSP location plus UST graduate programs will be a very enticing option in the portal.

3) NIL money:  UST can be a player in a NIL world.

4) Commitment to high level hockey:  When they have $140 million dollar arena coming in.  I think that means commitment.

I see UST being a tough opponent in the very near future.

As far as conference size, I would be fine with Miami, WMU and SCSU moving to the CCHA.  See the budgets that I have posted previously.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1