SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

19 minutes ago, .357 said:

There's no doubt that Berry is an affable, genuine guy who cares deeply about his hockey team. He bleeds green & it's obvious; wouldn't doubt it if he has stress-related ulcers because of all the pressure to succeed here. He also has an eye for talent & recruits quality players with good characters. But I have my doubts if he's capable of taking a team to the championship & winning it all. Yes, he did it 9 years ago, but he inherited that loaded team from Hakstol, who was singlehandedly responsible for landing Boeser & all those other studs.

Not a slam on Berry, but I envision him more as a salesman. I think he would be a natural working in the UND Alumni Department, reaching out to wealthy grads & convincing them to dig deep into their pockets to donate to their old school. He's a very likable guy & has a talent for relating to people & putting them at ease: qualities that will get one far in sales. But behind the bench of a major D1 hockey program & guiding a team to no. 9? Not saying he can't do it, but the proof is in the pudding.

Not sure your point is entirely valid.   Berry took a team to the title game and won, plain and simple.  They were certainly talented, but Berry doubtless had a role in recruiting some of them, and the Sioux have lost plenty of tourney games with big time talent.   On your last point, I don't know Berry personally, but he strikes me as a pure hockey guy and not a schmoozer.   

Now watch what he does when he leaves the bench.  :D

That said, these guys understand the need to win the last game.   If they get canned for failing to do that after getting a fair chance, I'm not gonna feel sorry for them.   It's the risk they run for the reward they want.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, burd said:

Not sure your point is entirely valid.   Berry took a team to the title game and won, plain and simple.  They were certainly talented, but Berry doubtless had a role in recruiting some of them, and the Sioux have lost plenty of tourney games with big time talent.   On your last point, I don't know Berry personally, but he strikes me as a pure hockey guy and not a schmoozer.   

Now watch what he does when he leaves the bench.  :D

That said, these guys understand the need to win the last game.   If they get canned for failing to do that after getting a fair chance, I'm not gonna feel sorry for them.   It's the risk they run for the reward they want.  

Berry did a masterful job managing that 2016 team. With the exception of the Frozen Faceoff, he had them clicking on all cylinders and rolling come NCAA tournament time. Which makes what has happened since then puzzling.

23 minutes ago, .357 said:

Yes, he did it 9 years ago, but he inherited that loaded team from Hakstol, who was singlehandedly responsible for landing Boeser & all those other studs..

Berry was in charge of recruiting when Hakstol was the coach. So that kind of negates your argument. Also, UNDer Berry, the team has landed many top-of-the-line recruits. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

:D:crazy:

I don't know anyone that doesn't want to see the UND hockey team win another title, but reading tweets on X, I think some need to grab some perspective. The University isn't going to fire Berry after he's won four of the last five Penrose Cups. I saw one person tweet that maybe Berry will finally get canned. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Berry was in charge of recruiting when Hakstol was the coach. So that kind of negates your argument. Also, UNDer Berry, the team has landed many top-of-the-line recruits. 

Hakstol went to the Twin Cities & personally had lunch with Boeser after Wisco & Minnesota dropped the ball on him, convincing him to come here. (Boeser admitted such during a podcast, think it was on Spittin' Chicklets). No Boeser, no #8. The point is that Berry has not won a championship with a roster completely of his own players; not yet anyway. He may have been in charge of recruiting, but a high-end player ultimately decides on a program moreso because of who's coaching the team, not because of the recruiter. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, .357 said:

Hakstol went to the Twin Cities & personally had lunch with Boeser after Wisco & Minnesota dropped the ball on him, convincing him to come here. (Boeser admitted such during a podcast, think it was on Spittin' Chicklets). No Boeser, no #8. The point is that Berry has not won a championship with a roster completely of his own players; not yet anyway. He may have been in charge of recruiting, but a high-end player ultimately decides on a program moreso because of who's coaching the team, not because of the recruiter. 

If you want to be technical, Hakstol never won a title, either. So, what's the point? Berry has. I think people have short memories; people actually wanted Dave Hakstol fired, because he had never won an NCAA title. I remember right before Hak went to Philly; I went on the radio with Jarroad Thomas to have this very discussion. He was calling for Hak's head if he didn't win a title. He asked how long before he's fired. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

If you want to be technical, Hakstol never won a title, either. So, what's the point? Berry has. I think people have short memories; people actually wanted Dave Hakstol fired, because he had never won an NCAA title. I remember right before Hak went to Philly; I went on the radio with Jarroad Thomas to have this very discussion. He was calling for Hak's head if he didn't win a title. He asked how long before he's fired. 

Hakstol also made it to the Frozen 4 in 7 of 11 seasons and never missed the NCAA tournament. I'm trying not to bash Berry, but Hakstol did way more with less. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Hakstol also made it to the Frozen 4 in 7 of 11 seasons and never missed the NCAA tournament. I'm trying not to bash Berry, but Hakstol did way more with less. 

That didn't matter to the Fire Hakstol crowd. There were a lot of them. 

• Upvote 2

Ryan Lambert from Puck Daddy:

Such is the case with Dave Hakstol, who hasn't won a championship at North Dakota since coming aboard in 2004-05. NoDak, in fact, hasn't won since 2000. And 15 years is a long time to wait when you're an impatient crybaby fanboy. “Fire Hakstol,” has consequently been mumbled basically since the second North Dakota got beaten by the most impressive freshman in decades.

The Hakstol File: Yet some wanted him fired, too. Only took Berry 5-6 years to have the Fire Berry Crowd in an uproar. 

UND hockey has a passionate, loyal following. The UND hockey team has been stuck on seven titles for 15 years. The fan base is getting antsy and wants to see their team win a national title. That’s not an unreasonable expectation.

During his 11-year coaching career at UND, Hakstol’s teams have amassed a 289-142-43 (.655) record.

Under coach Hakstol, UND is 54-23 (.701) combined in the conference and NCAA tourney.  For those that are keeping track at home, that’s 19 more wins than any other NCHC school.

Making the NCAA tourney is no easy task. Under coach Hakstol, UND has made the NCAA tournament 11 consecutive years.  That’s the third-longest streak of any coach in NCAA tournament history. Only Michigan’s Red Berenson (22, 1991-2012) and Minnesota’s Gophers former head coach Doug Woog (12, 1986-97) have had longer streaks.

During Hakstol’s tenure as head coach, his teams are 17-11 in the NCAA Tournament, that’s second only to Boston College’s Jerry York (21). During  that period, UND has gone to the regional final nine of 11 seasons and has a 7-2 record in regional finals.

Conference credentials: Hakstol resume includes four Final Five Championships (WCHA), two MacNaughton Cup Championships (WCHA), one Penrose Cup (NCHC).

Imagine, you're a recruit, thinking about going to UND, and you read Sioux Sports or some of our fans on X. What kind of message does that send to potential players? Or even their parents. Yes, it sucks that UND hasn't won a title in nine years. HFS, take breath, our favorite team has played three periods of hockey, and some want to run the coaching staff out of town on a rail. FFS! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

Imagine, you're a recruit, thinking about going to UND, and you read Sioux Sports or some of our fans on X. What kind of message does that send to potential players? Or even their parents. Yes, it sucks that UND hasn't won a title in nine years. HFS, take breath, our favorite team has played three periods of hockey, and some want to run the coaching staff out of town on a rail. FFS! 

Wow, take a breath buddy! Don't pass out now! :crazy:

I really don't think potential recruits will have a problem with a passionate fanbase that wants to win titles. A lot of the players we get come here in part because you can make it to the top of the mountain at North Dakota. That isn't the case everywhere.

Kids today have been immersed in social media since they were born. They have been desensitized to it. I don't think some insane messages on a message board or X is going to influence their decision on where to go to school and play hockey. There are numerous variables involved in that decision. What is posted on SS.com is not likely to make the Top 10.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, Goon said:

That didn't matter to the Fire Hakstol crowd. There were a lot of them. 

I don't think that there were many that wanted Hak fired, but I certainly was not among them. I was very happy that UND always made it to the Frozen 4 under Hak That is what a program wants, a chance to win it all. His team also improved later in the season. I'm very frustrated by getting swept by Canisius (the first losses to a team from that weak conference), missing the NCAA tournament a few times, constantly losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament, losing destination games to seemingly inferior programs (Penn State and Arizona State) and the fact that Berry has made it to only 1 Frozen Four. I have not called for Berry's head, but I do think he should be on a short leash. You are right that he recruits good to great players, but that will end if results don't follow. We are already losing recruiting battles to Denver because of its recent success, and we have been losing recruiting battles to Michigan, Minnesota, BC and BU for years. The losses to the bigger schools because of NIL money may be inevitable, but losing recruits to Denver, CC and others NCHC schools is a tougher pill to swallow. If Berry can't win any games in the NCAA tourney or get the team to a Frozen 4, there are a lot of former players who have had success coaching in the USHL and elsewhere. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Goon said:

My point is that Berry is yet to win it all with a roster completely of his own recruits; he did it with an inherited team. I thought I spelled that out clearly. 

Not everyone on SS will have the same thoughts, Goon, & many times fans are clashing on the state of the program. That's to be expected here. And I highly doubt a recruit will make his decision based on the critical words of some middle-aged farts on a sports forum. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, .357 said:

Not everyone on SS will have the same thoughts, Goon, & many times fans are clashing on the state of the program. That's to be expected here. And I highly doubt a recruit will make his decision based on the critical words of some middle-aged farts on a sports forum. 

Key phrase here.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Once upon a time, there were two head coaches at the University of North Dakota that always spoke their minds and told it like it was. One coached men's hockey. The other coached women's basketball. One was named Dean Blais. The other was named Gene Roebuck. Does that answer your question?

Here's a drinking game for you: Every time Berry says "At the end of the day....." in the post-game interview, take a shot of Jack Daniels. Just make sure you don't have to drive afterwards.

I guess that sums up my feelings on this.

Name one current college hockey coach that talks like Dean Blais these days. I'll hang up and listen....

Sorry, but it's just not the way it is anymore. If you're expecting Deano, it ain't happening anymore. What Berry did at the presser the other night is probably the most you'll ever see in college hockey again.

Whether you like it or not, personally I think it's a mixed bag, focusing on a presser and using that as reflection of how a coach handles his players is just a waste of your time. A coach won't drag his players anymore. Different world.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, .357 said:

Who do you think Boeser met with dozens of times during the two to three years we recruited him? Sure Hak closed the door, but Bubs had just as much to do with Boeser coming to UND as Hak. How about Nick Schmaltz? Bubs. How about Troy Stetcher? Bubs. Let's not play this game. Give Bubs his due for recruiting.

Such a boring conversation about the recruitment angle of why Bubs is where he is regarding his results. Everything is always brought up in a vacuum and that's not how things work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

With less?! Do you recall Hak's recruiting classes?! 06-07 had FOUR first rounders, two second rounders, and an eventual Hobey Baker winner on it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

Way more with less? Hakstol had wagons. Not sure if he was the primary recruiter for all those guys but his teams were stacked!

Berry has had some nice seasons with success…just not the same success as Hak. The natty was awesome though!

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

With less?! Do you recall Hak's recruiting classes?! 06-07 had FOUR first rounders, two second rounders, and an eventual Hobey Baker winner on it. 

Look at the 2013-2014 roster, which is just one example. Hak took the team to the Frozen Four and lost a heartbreaker to Minnesota with .06 seconds remaining where the top 3 scorers were sophomore forward Rocco Grimaldi, Michael Parks and Mark MacMillan. Grimaldi was probably the only legitimate 1st line forward on that team. Other notable players were Stephane Pattyn and Connor Gaardner (a walk on). That was not a very talented team, but Hak got them playing well at the end. 

Berry is not keeping his job because he’s won 4 of the past 5 Penrose Cups.  Berry is keeping his job because Chaves is a spineless AD. Mallory Bernhard still has a job for cripe’s sake. 

Ive said it before, Berry can win another Penrose this year, but if he isn’t playing in the regional final in Fargo this season, it’s time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Who do you think Boeser met with dozens of times during the two to three years we recruited him? Sure Hak closed the door, but Bubs had just as much to do with Boeser coming to UND as Hak. How about Nick Schmaltz? Bubs. How about Troy Stetcher? Bubs. Let's not play this game. Give Bubs his due for recruiting.

Such a boring conversation about the recruitment angle of why Bubs is where he is regarding his results. Everything is always brought up in a vacuum and that's not how things work.

You can spin it anyway you wish, but it was still an inherited team, comprised of guys who ultimately chose UND because they wanted to play for Hakstol. The foundation was laid by the previous coach who had the final say on who was accepted into the program, & who was not. 

Unfortunately, Berry's track record in the playoffs with players solely tied to him or his staff (things he controls & has authority over) has been an abject failure. That's the reality of the matter.