SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Miami

54 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

It's just Tuesday, friend. One day away from the weekly press conference. Hopefully learn Hunter can play this weekend.

If there's even a slight doubt as to whether he's healthy enough to play, I'm betting he would sit this weekend as well.  Rest up and be 100% for the stretch run.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

If there's even a slight doubt as to whether he's healthy enough to play, I'm betting he would sit this weekend as well.  Rest up and be 100% for the stretch run.

I think there’s no chance he plays even if he was close to a return. Especially with the bye week next week. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, burd said:

I hear you, but teams will tweak something, even if it's just working harder at blocking those shots.   Leaving our snipers space to strike from Duncan's office won't do it.  

Teams are trying a "sliding box" more traditional PK. It's not getting to (sliding to) the wings fast enough (to UND's benefit) on the cross seam pass. 

I expect someone to go "diamond" to get closer to the shooter wings and the umbrella point. The danger is the down low 2 on 1 the diamond opens up. Which devil ya wanna dance with. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Teams are trying a "sliding box" more traditional PK. It's not getting to (sliding to) the wings fast enough (to UND's benefit) on the cross seam pass. 

I expect someone to go "diamond" to get closer to the shooter wings and the umbrella point. The danger is the down low 2 on 1 the diamond opens up. Which devil ya wanna dance with. 

Exactly

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Diamond is also more difficult to block shots from point, I assume.  

On 1/28/2024 at 3:49 PM, Wilbur said:

I thought they looked pretty good against Duluth last night at Amsoil.  Probably deserved better than an OT loss.

The big storyline is Ludvig heading back to Oxford.  They'll have motivation, and hopefully there aren't any ex girlfriends hanging out in the lobby awaiting his return.

Yes, this is an expected 6 point weekend for UND. 

Six points is a UND must and a split between St Could and Colorado plus a split between Western Mich and Denver gives UND a solid lead for the Penrose.

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I've liked Kunz game the last 2 weekends. He's earned some time higher up in the lineup. Let Johannes get 100%

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Esoteric said:

Six points is a UND must and a split between St Could and Colorado plus a split between Western Mich and Denver gives UND a solid lead for the Penrose.

The WMU / DU series is intriguing.  Neither got the number of points that they were wanting/expecting out of last weekend.
They should both be hungry.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sparky8701 said:

I've liked Kunz game the last 2 weekends. He's earned some time higher up in the lineup. Let Johannes get 100%

Yes, get Johannes healthy for the stretch run.  It's a good time to play Miami then have a bye weekend. That's 3 full weeks and if he's not healthy for Colorado Springs give him a whole month to recover. 

15 hours ago, burd said:

Diamond is also more difficult to block shots from point, I assume.  

The goal of the diamond is to take time and space away from the "umbrella" (two wings and point). Do that and they have to move it and not shoot. But again, it opens up a two on one low. 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The goal of the diamond is to take time and space away from the "umbrella" (two wings and point). Do that and they have to move it and not shoot. But again, it opens up a two on one low. 

Karl will probably be expecting that. More than likely be seeing a different power play this weekend. 

If the boys show up like they did last week, the power play won’t even matter. Anything less than two 8 goal games, is a disappointment lol.

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Karl will probably be expecting that. More than likely be seeing a different power play this weekend. 

If the boys show up like they did last week, the power play won’t even matter. Anything less than two 8 goal games, is a disappointment lol.

I guess I don't care how ugly or pretty the wins are, as long as they are regulation wins.

13 hours ago, sparky8701 said:

When Kunz is aggressive hunting pucks and aggressive screening the goalie, he can be a legitimate x-factor. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I guess I don't care how ugly or pretty the wins are, as long as they are regulation wins.

I only like pretty wins.   Ugly wins are for uncivilized brutes.  

• Upvote 1

Kunz finally figured out he's not slow (can't call him fast or first step quick) and big.
He's finally realized 'get moving, keep moving, play large, stay large'. 

I suspect having Johannes (and not Caulfield) to model after is a significant factor.