SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five

Smoggy

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim just said on the post game that he THINKS the Gopher rule is gone for the Final Five.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A year or two back TH had talked about the Gopher rule being sunseted but I will believe it when I see.

As long as the Sioux get to play a game on Friday, I could give a rat's ass if it's in the afternoon or evening. Makes no difference to me at all, but I can understand where it is in the best interest of the league to have the local team playing in prime time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that it is also, in the best interest of raising the most money, however when that rule can give that team an advantage, than I don't believe it is a fair rule.

This Gopher rule thing is not sunsetted. If they meaning the WCHA front office, is circulating that around, it's simply to try to get the heat off of them or perhaps bury the issue.

For however long the Final 5 is in Minny, the Gopher rule will apply as long as the Gophers make the F5. If they get knocked off in the first round, then everything's up in the air including TV coverage, marketing, and game placement.

Waht are the pairings for the final five?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best as I recollect the Sioux will play either Alaska or Wisconsin Thursday night. Spends spon who wins tonight.

Winner of the Thursday night game plays Denver on Friday afternoon. Gophers play Tigers Friday evening.

All of these games have the potential to be far better than any game here on in.

Of course, Saturday has losers, and then winners, playing for crying towels and hardware. Wisconsin is on a major bubble. Alaska needs to win the whole thing to get a bid. Tigers. Pioneers. Gophers. Sioux. All in to the NCAAs, reagardless of outcome at The Final Five.

I just fail to see how playing in the evening rather than in the afternoon is an advantage to the Gophers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you being sarcastic?

It's not necessarily an advantage for the Gophers as much as it is a disadvantage to the #1 seed and the winner of the play-in game. I mean, I really can't believe I'm explaining this, but if the winner of the play-in game has to play Thursday night and then Friday afternoon, you don't think that's going to totally SUCK for them? Plus, the #1 seed deserves to have the prime coverage. If the Gophers are the #1 seed, more power to them, they can have the night game fair and square. But if they aren't, well... "F*ck them"

Are you being sarcastic?

It's not necessarily an advantage for the Gophers as much as it is a disadvantage to the #1 seed and the winner of the play-in game. I mean, I really can't believe I'm explaining this, but if the winner of the play-in game has to play Thursday night and then Friday afternoon, you don't think that's going to totally SUCK for them? Plus, the #1 seed deserves to have the prime coverage. If the Gophers are the #1 seed, more power to them, they can have the night game fair and square. But if they aren't, well... "F*ck them"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The winner of the play-in game deserves no favors and explain exactly how not playing in prime-time is a disadvantage to the #1 seed? Not playing in prime-time shouldn't impact anyone other than the play-in winner and if the #1 seed plays Friday afternoon, they actually have a few more hours of rest than the winner of the game played that same evening. And if there's ever a FF at the REA UND would get the same privelege and they should. I agree with DaveK - I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Explain exactly how not playing in prime-time is a disadvantage to the #1 seed? And imho the winner of the play-in game deserves no favors. Not playing in prime-time shouldn't impact if the #1 seed plays Friday afternoon and wins, they actually have a few more hours of rest than the winner of the game played that same evening. And if there's ever a FF at the REA UND would get the same privelege and they should. I agree with DaveK - I don't see why it's such a big deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God, you're just a mean person then.

God, you're just a mean person then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you even read what I wrote? Why don't you explain how playing Friday afternoon is a disadvantage to the #1 seed? Why not admit the team playing Friday afternoon will have more rest than the team that plays Friday evening?

Did you even read what I wrote? Why don't you explain how playing Friday afternoon is a disadvantage to the #1 seed? Why not admit the team playing Friday afternoon will have more rest than the team that plays Friday evening?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was more referring to "the team who wins the play-in game doesn't deserve any special favors." Playing at the NORMAL SCHEDULED TIME is NOT A FAVOR.

Riddle me this: How is fighting on a message board like competing in the Special Olympics?

I was more referring to "the team who wins the play-in game doesn't deserve any special favors." Playing at the NORMAL SCHEDULED TIME is NOT A FAVOR.

Riddle me this: How is fighting on a message board like competing in the Special Olympics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't say they received any favors, I said they don't deserve any. Making so the play-in winner always gets to play Friday night would be a favor. Also, you still haven't answered why it's a disadvantage to the #1 seed to play on Friday afternoon? And I'm not fighting with you, this is a discussion - it's possible for two people not to see eye-to-eye and remain civil. :lol:

Why should the play-in game winner have to play the early game simply because it isn't the Gophers they are playing? It's a screw job. It was a screw job last year when UAA had to play UND and it will be a screw job this year to whomever wins the play-in game. It has nothing to do with favors and has everything to do with fairness. It blows that the WCHA puts money above all else. Not a suprise though because money seems to be becoming the only thing that matters, no matter it involves the Gpphers, the Sioux, the WCHA or some podunk tournament in Grand Rapids, MN.

BTW, if it'd be a favor to the play-in team to always play in the late game, then it's a favor that the Gophers get to always play in the late game. If the play-in team doesn't deserve favors, why do the Gophers?

The sad part about it, like Diggler mentioned is that the tournament is pretty much set up around when the Gophers play. I love the fact the tournament is held in St. Paul, but I think they should set the games up the same way each season. But then I guess I really don't blame them for wanting to make money on the event... :lol:

I didn't say they received any favors, I said they don't deserve any.  Making so the play-in winner always gets to play Friday night would be a favor.  Also, you still haven't answered why it's a disadvantage to the #1 seed to play on Friday afternoon?  And I'm not fighting with you, this is a discussion - it's possible for two people not to see eye-to-eye and remain civil.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Slappy,

Your point is silly and not worth arguing. The "Goofer Night" is certainly advantageous to the Gophers, but I would agree not necessarily a disadvantage to the #1 seed to play in the afternoon. One could argue that, for college teams, it is less desireable to play afternoon games simply because it breaks their ritualistic pre-game schedule. Although, both teams have to deal with it.

A more legitimate beef is that the Friday night game is loaded with the Moron-in-Gold faithful, making it even more of a home ice advantage to the already pampered Goofer. This is especially true whenever the rodent has to do the play-in game and then, if successful, gets the full day's rest for Friday night. THAT particular scenario is certainly unfair for the #1 seed. Just another example of how the WCHA's favorite child gets the best present under the tree, whether they've been good or bad.

I would like to see the WCHA Final Five travel every fourth year or so. I really like having the tourney at the Xcel Energy Center, but would also be interested in travelling out west to see it in Denver. Sure, the $$ would certainly be less, but it would be nice to share the experience with those folks whose teams are no less powerhouses in college hockey.

taz

I just fail to see how playing in the evening rather than in the afternoon is an advantage to the Gophers.

I fail to have a cow over this issue, but here are 2 scenarios where at least one can make the argument there might be a slight advantage for the gophers:

1. A large crowd cheering for the home team. Sure, the die hards will be there in the afternoon but I'll bet a fair % (30% maybe?) wouldn't be there in the afternoon.

2. If the gophers were to play on Thursday night, they would get a few extra hours to rest up than if they played in the afternoon.

2. If the gophers were to play on Thursday night, they would get a few extra hours to rest up than if they played in the afternoon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true, but would be true for any team that plays the play-in game if a locked down schedule (#1 seed playing Friday night) were put in place as the play-in winner will always have to face the 1 seed.