SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five

Smoggy

You have to admit that nealry every year the stars align for the Gophs - look at your recent titles. Whether it's hosting the Final 5 and/or the NCAA's, your team gets the late game and has home ice. The disadvantage for the play in teams should only be the extra game and they shouln't be penalized with a second game 14 hours later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and when we've lost the Friday night game we have to play with less rest on the Sat afternoon game.... :)

And all the bi-oching about moving it around, the X has NOTHING to do with the Gophers, it has to do with teh most central location, playing in a NON school affiliated arena and the WCHA making money. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT a vast Gopher conspiriacy. :lol:

And last time I checked not many Gopher fans feel "entitled" to a NCAA title anymore than a bunch of UND fans I know of every fall! :lol::0;):D

WPoS

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoken like a true Goofer interested in watching his team compete on a even and level playing field. Your ceiling would have about the same number of banners as CC if fairness had been a league or team priority.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Show me where it says the Gophers get to choose when and where they play in the WCHA tournament. Point is, the dissatisfaction with the current system should be directed at the people who govern it, the league.

and when we've lost the Friday night game we have to play with less rest on the Sat afternoon game.... :)

And all the bi-oching about moving it around, the X has NOTHING to do with the Gophers, it has to do with teh most central location, playing in a NON school affiliated arena and the WCHA making money. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT a vast Gopher conspiriacy. :lol:

And last time I checked not many Gopher fans feel "entitled" to a NCAA title anymore than a bunch of UND fans I know of every fall! :lol::0;):D

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dead set in the heart of the city the houses the gophers!!! minn/st.paul same thing. it's not a gopher conspiracy, it's a wcha blunder to allow this every year. It's a technicality and you know it. ;)

Spoken like a true Goofer interested in watching his team compete on a even and level playing field. Your ceiling would have about the same number of banners as CC if fairness had been a league or team priority.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well this "true GOPHER" fan wouldn't care WHEN they played, niether would my friends, we'd be there no matter when they played. Your argument holds about as much water as the Sahara. Just face it, the games CANNOT be played at the Ralph, no matter how much you try and want it to happen.

WPoS

dead set in the heart of the city the houses the gophers!!!  minn/st.paul same thing.  it's not a gopher conspiracy,  it's a wcha blunder to allow this every year.  It's a technicality and you know it.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TECHNICALLY, the X is in St. Paul and the Gophers play in Minneapolis... :D:lol::lol:

WPoS

If it's about central location, why the special considerations in game scheduling for just Minnesota? Why not just a straight tournament bracket with seeds and times set before the season starts? If it were held in Denver or Milwaukee would DU or UW games be given similar "special consideration" for start times? How about if it were ever held in the new arena in Winnipeg, would UND be given start time "special considerations"?

If it's about a neutral facility I hear the Pepsi in Denver is nice, and there are a couple of WCHA teams nearby to host as well. Milwaukee. Winnipeg. Neutral.

It's about Benjamins and nothing more. The WCHA will do whatever wherever to maximize the gate from the Five. You don't have to like it. Just accept it and move on.

I see that you, WPos, do not even want the Sioux and their fans at the TC for the Final Five (see penalty box).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well DUH! Of course not, not anymore than most of you guys don't want the Gophers or their fans there! Now sprig, don't go and try and deny that either. UND is my second most "hated" rivalry! Altho, I'd rather have you than the BADgers and their stupid fans, at least you guys know hockey.

WPoS

Well DUH! Of course not, not anymore than most of you guys don't want the Gophers or their fans there! Now sprig, don't go and try and deny that either. UND is my second most "hated" rivalry! Altho, I'd rather have you than the BADgers and their stupid fans, at least you guys know hockey.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course I want the Gophers out, only before Wisconsin. I just don't show up on a gopher board and bitch about what Goph fans are saying. Don't care about having the FF at the X, but the game time switch for the Friday game is ridiculous.

Technically, East Grand Forks isn't Grand Forks. Maybe "Uncle Ralph" should have built an arena there too. :D:lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

as good will gesture to the SS.com peeps (most of which whom are the cream of UND fandom) feel free to stop by the tailgate next weekend for the Final Five if you come down. Last year we had a few UND fans gating with us and it was fun. We are across 7th from Tom Reid's in the little parking lot. Just no pissing in the corners or leaving garbage is all.

WPoS

Of course I want the Gophers out, only before Wisconsin. I just don't show up on a gopher board and bitch about what Goph fans are saying. Don't care about having the FF at the X, but the game time switch for the Friday game is ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have agreed to the bolded part of your comment a long time ago. Let the games fall where they may and I'd still be there!

WPoS

The X is a great place for the final five. There is obviously much more to do in the Twin Cities than any other WCHA city (except possibly Denver). It is a destination city. Does this benefit the Goofs? Well, yes it does. Does it make it lopsided in favor of them? No, it doesn't. The guys still have to do it on the ice. Last year at the Final Five Championship the seats were probably 65-35 Gopher-Sioux, and in one of the best games I've seen in a while MN toppled a more skilled UND team. The fans didn't stop Parise, Murray, Bochenski and Stafford from winning the game, Koalska, Riddle, Ballard, Waibel and Briggs did. Just like in the Goofs first championship in 2002 when they made an improbable comeback against Maine. The point of this is that although the fans help, MN had some pretty good teams those years and couldn't have beaten the competition they played if they weren't talented. The home ice factor is there, but it isn't that significant.

The X is a great place for the final five.  There is obviously much more to do in the Twin Cities than any other WCHA city (except possibly Denver).  It is a destination city.  Does this benefit the Goofs?  Well, yes it does.  Does it make it lopsided in favor of them?  No, it doesn't.  The guys still have to do it on the ice.  Last year at the Final Five Championship the seats were probably 65-35 Gopher-Sioux, and in one of the best games I've seen in a while MN toppled a more skilled UND team.  The fans didn't stop Parise, Murray, Bochenski and Stafford from winning the game, Koalska, Riddle, Ballard, Waibel and Briggs did.  Just like in the Goofs first championship in 2002 when they made an improbable comeback against Maine.  The point of this is that although the fans help, MN had some pretty good teams those years and couldn't have beaten the competition they played if they weren't talented.  The home ice factor is there, but it isn't that significant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh come one Yzerman, that makes a little to much sense . . . All-in-all there will always be an advantage for the gopher hockey program and that is the size/draw of their market. The WCHA is out to make money and that means putting the Gophs in the prime time game regardless of other teams' fate or fairness.

How 'bout this for an attempt at fairness: Whenever the dirty yellow vermin are the lower seed or they play the Friday night game without being the surviving top seed in the tourney, their ^#$^&%$^ band, their ^@^$&# cheerleaders, their !%^%@#% mascot and their $%^#$#% home rink announcer aren't allowed at the game.

Better yet, because of the other advantages playing there provides them, they shouldn't ever be alllowed to bring any of these @%#@%^# entities to the tourney, under any circumstances. And they should have to pay to have their opposition bring their band, cheerleaders, mascot (if applicable), and home rink announcer to the tourney.

How 'bout this for an attempt at fairness:  Whenever the dirty yellow vermin are the lower seed or they play the Friday night game without being the surviving top seed in the tourney, their ^#$^&%$^ band, their ^@^$&# cheerleaders, their !%^%@#% mascot and their $%^#$#% home rink announcer aren't allowed at the game. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget to sell all the center ice seats to the Gophers opponent and allow the opponents band/cheerleaders/etc...

MSU tried it this winter and I recommend all WCHA teams do it. Heck MSU even had them paint a big purple bull on center ice at the X. :lol:

The bottom line is that they should scrap the bottom two teams from the playoffs and have a WCHA Final Four.

The bottom line is that they should scrap the bottom two teams from the playoffs and have a WCHA Final Four.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although that doesn't seem so good given where the Sioux stand this year, that sure would solve all the playin games, gopher scheduling problems. Sounds like a good idea to me, finish in the top 4 to get home ice, finish in the top 8 to make the playoffs.

Although that doesn't seem so good given where the Sioux stand this year, that sure would solve all the playin games, gopher scheduling problems. Sounds like a good idea to me, finish in the top 4 to get home ice, finish in the top 8 to make the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, this will never work...Teams would lose out on the revenue from a WCHA playoff series and the money from the "Play-in" debacle...and we know its all about the ca$h....

People spend way too much time whining about the Gophers both here and on USCHO. I see nothing wrong with putting the local team in the Friday evening timeslot regardless of seeding. I would expect the league would do the same for any other team that hosts the event. They want to give themselves the best opportunity to put butts in the seats, don't they? It would be stupid to have to host team play Friday afternoon while many of their fans are stuck at work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the Goofers "host" the Final 5 ? It just so happens that the Xcel is right in their back yard. I do understand the business side about getting butts in the seats, but they should leave the format alone, regardless of who is in it. Leave the play in game for thursday, have that play in winner turn around and play the #1 on short rest, and make the 2 & 3 play at night. And God forbid some Goofer fan having to take a day off of work like all the other fans that have to travel many miles to see their team play. And personally, I don't mind seeing the 5 down there anyway, makes for a short trip to see the tourney. Instead of having to go to Denver, or Milwaukee (keep seeing this mentioned....are we thinking Madison here, just curious?) Just my thoughts. Go Sioux!!!

So the Goofers "host" the Final 5 ? It just so happens that the Xcel is right in their back yard. I do understand the business side about getting butts in the seats, but they should leave the format alone, regardless of who is in it. Leave the play in game for thursday, have that play in winner turn around and play the #1 on short rest, and make the 2 & 3 play at night. And God forbid some Goofer fan having to take a day off of work like all the other fans that have to travel many miles to see their team play. And personally, I don't mind seeing the 5 down there anyway, makes for a short trip to see the tourney. Instead of having to go to Denver, or Milwaukee (keep seeing this mentioned....are we thinking Madison here, just curious?) Just my thoughts. Go Sioux!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though I would agree that a four location rotation (Ralph, XCel, World Arena, Kohl Center) for the Final 5 would be the best, I have to agree with DaveK. No amount of whining or finger pointing is going to change this.

It's nice to be the Gophers, and that's just how it is going to have to be come Final five time. Besides, the XCel energy center is the nicest NHL arena in the world, IMO.

The fans didn't stop Parise, Murray, Bochenski and Stafford from winning the game, Koalska, Riddle, Ballard, Waibel and Briggs did. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be stupid. Troy Riddle didn't do anything.

And why doesn't anyone want to have the Final Five at the DECC?? :lol:

Or, better yet, if the ice is thick enough, have it on Lake Superior!

Being a Sioux fan I wish we could play it in Grand Forks, but since that will never happen, the Xcel Center is the next best choice. Does it give the Gophers an advantage? Yes. But my feeling is that if you are a good team, you should be able to go into any building and beat any team. It also allows me to drive to St Paul from South Dakota in a few hours, rather than not being able to go to the games if they were in Colorado or Milwaukee. It also puts more money back to the WCHA and fellow schools by having huge crowds. The last time the final 5 was in Milwaukee, the total attendance was 38,707. The champ game only drew 10,166 in which Wisc won the game. ( It holds 17,800 ) Last years final 5 drew 82,000 ( ave of 16,400) Like it or not, the WCHA will follow the money.

People spend way too much time whining about the Gophers both here and on USCHO. I see nothing wrong with putting the local team in the Friday evening timeslot regardless of seeding. I would expect the league would do the same for any other team that hosts the event. They want to give themselves the best opportunity to put butts in the seats, don't they? It would be stupid to have to host team play Friday afternoon while many of their fans are stuck at work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it truly rotated sites, your logic would make perfect sense. I think the complaining comes in because it has been in the Twin Cities most years in the past and is scheduled there every year for the foreseeable future, so the Gophers are consistently reaping the advantage year-in and year-out. St. Paul is the best place to have it, but whether that means St. Paul should get it every year is debatable.

Personally, I'm fine with it staying in St. Paul, but Gopher fans should at least understand the frustration other fans might have when the Gophers get to play in front of thousands of their home fans every single year. Gophers fans shouldn't have to apologize, but should at least acknowledge the advantage.