SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five

Smoggy

People spend way too much time whining about the Gophers both here and on USCHO. I see nothing wrong with putting the local team in the Friday evening timeslot regardless of seeding. I would expect the league would do the same for any other team that hosts the event. They want to give themselves the best opportunity to put butts in the seats, don't they? It would be stupid to have to host team play Friday afternoon while many of their fans are stuck at work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure there'd be plenty of "butts" in the seats whether the Gophers are in the night game or not. First off, more people from around the state would make the drive for a single game if it was at night. If UMD/UND is in the Friday afternoon game, you won't get many people driving down for it. Put them at night, though, and more people would head down to the game and try to get tickets from scalpers.

The biggest problem is that all those Gopher fans that buy the five game package will only go to see the Gophers play and no one else. Hence, more empty seats than there should be.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WPos, do not even want the Sioux and their fans at the TC for the Final Five (see penalty box).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sprig is right. Here is what WPoS said over on tPB

warm and positive thoughts from almost all the Gopher fans for your squad this weekend. We'd MUCH rather have tPB gang down to booze than the UND perps...how nice would it be to have UND not even be in the Final Five! We wouldn't have to hear about how many NC's they have for the billionth time!

So go DOGS!

WPoS

I guess he is talking out of both side of his mouth.

Oh by the way 7>5 incase you forgot.

Edited by Goon

Its called entitlement hockey, the Gopher fans think they are entitled to an NCAA title.The league is run under the same mind set and hence the league lets them have the top spots at night so they can put a$$es in the seats. Thank God they don't put the 3rd place game before the Championship. Its a whole mind set. Seems like UofM is back to its old ways. Watching UofM lose in front of 18,000 fans is even sweeter. Remember they aren't all that great this year anyways.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you think the league is under the mindset that the Gophers are entitled to an NCAA title? How incredibly uncredible. (that means unexceptable too)

Many of us appear to be forgetting that, at least in the mind of this hockey pundit (see predicted sweep of pUM by Tech), there is at least an equally good chance that da Goophers an dere faithless following will also not be at The Final Five, what with a solid Mankato squad, even without their leading scorer, likely to take it to the brown and yellow in a big way at The John.

Of course, if pUM is not in The Final Five, you will see waves of their so-called fans staying away from The Excel. Partly because of their arrogance. Partly because of their stupidity. Partly because it will be the middle of the month and their welfare checks will be almost gone.

Sure, there is a solid core of Minnesota hockey fans who will go to The Final Five to watch hockey, regardless if their team is not there. Of course, should Mankato hand their squad their heads, we will then need to listen to the few who are there drivel on about Denver last year, how the week off will help their starting sieve to heal, how they need the rest, how the Final Five is not really that important, how they are saving their money for the West at The John blah blah blah.

With a handful of exceptions, Goopher fans are slow, boorish, and living in the past. I could care less if I see them in droves at The Final Five, although I do enjoy mocking their ugly-arse colors and their really stupid cheers. OK everyone, time for our spelling lesson . . . .

Go Mavericks. Guck the Fophers.

How is that talking out of both sides of my mouth, I have already stated HERE that I'd rather not have UND at the Final Five!  Goon, talk about trying to stir the pot.  You THAT BORED? 

That all said, the SS.com peeps are pretty good and I have mostly no problem with you guys (and gals).  But it IS a rivalry.  And if you ever happen to notice, out of respect for a few posters over here, I always use "Sioux" on every board I post and don't use a diminutive/derogative term as others do

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually you referred to our fans as a bunch of perpitrators. No offense but none of the sioux fans I know have probation officers. The reason you don't want UND at the final five is you know if the Gophers and Sioux had to play, the Sioux would probably light Briggs ups like a easy prom queen on prom night.

So you think the league is under the mindset that the Gophers are entitled to an NCAA title?  How incredibly uncredible.  (that means unexceptable too)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take a deep breath. Its called sarcassium. You know joking. :D This one went further than I would have even dreamed. Honestly, I do think Gopher fans believe they are entitled to a NCAA title. :D Not the league its self. Actually could you imagine if the WCHA final Five was at the Ralph (it maybe some day) and the Sioux got all of the best TV slots like the auto 7:30 pm game the UofM Gophers fan and their administration would be livid. Think about it. I have heard the Radio guys say that the other league teams aren't all that excited about how the Gophers get preferred treatment. Also, the league wants UofW and UofM to be at the final five because they sell tickets... The league is all about money. Being a capitalist I can see why they do this.

Relax, enjoy the season.

SDSioux,

I have to disagree w/you on some points. Go back a few years to when UND played Denver in the Final Five title game at Target Center. I believe it was 1998 or 1999. There were MAYBE 10,000 fans at that game and that's being generous. I'd say attendance was closer to 8,000. The fact is that Xcel has done so well because the Gophers have been in the building. Take them out of the equation and you'd see maybe 10,000 fans there for any game. That's a fact, not fiction.

Now TinyTimmay, I disagree with you about putting Minnesota in the Friday night game to let the locals work during the day and hit the game at night. Wouldn't you think the majority of Gopher fans would drive 10-12 miles to see their team play at 2:00 AM if they had to? How about the thousands of fans coming from Madison, Milwaukee, Duluth, Colorado, or Grand Forks? Don't they work? Playing the Friday afternoon game means an entire day off of work for them. I kid you not, back in 1997, the WCHA did the last-minute "switch-a-roo" and my then-roommmate's Sioux fan friends didn't catch wind of it. They showed up on Friday night for the 7:00 pm game and were stunned when Minnesota skates out against St Cloud State. The Sioux had played CC that afternoon. They drove from Bemidji and didn't hear any announcement in that area regarding the game-switch.

Just my two cents.

Hey Tattoo,

You can call me an idiot all you want!! 

I went back and read WPoS's last 25 posts....SHOW ME THE INSIGHT  (If you can't....that will make you the idiot!!)  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it isn't all about the insight so much as it is about the contribution to the conversation. it's alot more constructive than you berading him/her like that, and then the pissing match that has insued between me and you. all i'm sayin dog is disagree with him/her all you want. disagree with anyone on the board all you want. but you don't need to be that inflamitory towards anyone. if you don't want to read any specific person's posts, block them. i know i have. also apologies from me on the idiot comment :D

WPoS might be exactly that  :D  but of the gophers who come over here to post it would seem he generally, at least, contributes to the deposit of conversation unlike some other "outsiders".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I trying to decide who is worse...

1) A Gopher fan that talk out of both sides of his mouth

or

2) A Gopher fan who is an over-the-edge homer

:D actually, I didn't realize that it said "perps" instead of "peeps"....I have fat finger syndrome.  I have corrected my post over on tPB.  (notice my spelling over time...it ain't all that good).  So sorry for calling anyone who actually cares what I think "perps" instead of "peeps". :D

And  as for a UND/MN game, it would eba GREAT game ala last year, with lots of give and take on both sides, but I am confident the M&G would win....

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I am confident Brandt wouldn't play the rematch and UND would lite Briggs up.

So when UND gets pat the Dirty Bull Dogs this weekend, plays and beats the Dirty BADgers (thats assuming they beat UAA), does UND match up with UofM or the Colorado schools. I guess I am kind of jumping the gun a bit.