SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five

Smoggy

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a favor for the play-in winner because of the added rest, but how is it a favor for the Gophers to play Friday night?  Do you honestly think there's not enough Gopher fans to gobble up tickets for a Friday afternoon game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Assuming this is true, then what is the reasoning for the Gophers always getting the late game?

What about if the Gophers were the winners of the play-in game?

The rule screws the 4-5 winner in years where the Rodents are the 2 or 3 seed. Having to play Thursday night and Friday afternoon is difficult. The only time the 4-5 winner doesn't have to deal with this is when it is the Vermin.

That said, who cares? Sioux are on a roll. Thursday won't come soon enough.

I didn't say they received any favors, I said they don't deserve any. Making so the play-in winner always gets to play Friday night would be a favor. Also, you still haven't answered why it's a disadvantage to the #1 seed to play on Friday afternoon? And I'm not fighting with you, this is a discussion - it's possible for two people not to see eye-to-eye and remain civil. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but MafiaMan told me that joke last night and I really really wanted to use it.

This is true, but would be true for any team that plays the play-in game if a locked down schedule (#1 seed playing Friday night) were put in place as the play-in winner will always have to face the 1 seed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as stated before, if the gophs were in the play in game, and played fri night, they would get the advantage of a larger crowd...over the #1 seed. Do they deserve that?

Just a quick point about the complaining that the #1 seed should play the late game. If you look at the other three major conferences, the #1 seed plays the early game in all of them. Why? Because the #1 deserves the extra rest before the championship game.

A point about the "Minnesota Rule". This is something that is voted on by all 10 members of the WCHA. Blame all the schools in the WCHA for voting for it, not Minnesota. If the Final Five is in Wisconsin, then it would be the same for them. This tournament is where the WCHA makes its money, so they do what they can to maximize that.

How many times have the Gophers played in the play-in game and then got to play Friday night?  I'm sure it happens all the time from the amount of whining done about the possibility.

It happened in both '99 and '00. The Gophers beat SCSU and MSU. In '99 the Sioux barely sneaked past the well rested Gophers in the semi's and DU proved to be too much for them in the Finals.

In '00 the filthy Badgers lit up the very ill Adam Hauser, (who actually was incredible the night before) but the rested Gophers took too much of a toll on Bucky and the Sioux smoked them.

This year the Sioux overcome the short rest and defeat UW and DU. They put up a great fight against the Gophs in the Final, but in the third fatigue sets in and the Gophers claim their third straight WCHA playoff title. I fear DU will get the last laugh again this year in Columbus.

This year the Sioux overcome the short rest and defeat UW and DU.  They put up a great fight against the Gophs in the Final, but in the third fatigue sets in and the Gophers claim their third straight WCHA playoff title.  I fear DU will get the last laugh again this year in Columbus.

That's confidence, Sagard. That a fatigued gopher squad will still hang on to beat the Sioux... :lol:

as stated before, if the gophs were in the play in game, and played fri night, they would get the advantage of a larger crowd...over the #1 seed. Do they deserve that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Everyone advocating against the "Minnesota rule" says the play-in winner should get to play Friday night - this would be true no matter if the play-in winner were the Gophers or any other team.

2. If the games are played at the X the Gophers are going to have a crowd advantage no matter what time the game is played.

3) If the #1 seed gets to play Friday afternoon - non only do they get a less rested play-in winner but they themselves get extra rest for Saturday night should they win. The whining here isn't about the rule being unfair, it's because it involves the Gophers.

4) Don Lucia voted against the "Minnesota Rule".

All you need to know is the team that has played in the play-in game has never won the Final Five.  Sioux have no chance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess because it has never been done we shouldn't even try. What is that called again? Oh yeah, the "French" way. :0

I believe they are also the inventor of the "Thank you" note, as in "Thanks for bailing us out of another war, let us know if you need another statue".

1. Everyone advocating against the "Minnesota rule" says the play-in winner should get to play Friday night - this would be true no matter if the play-in winner were the Gophers or any other team.

2. If the games are played at the X the Gophers are going to have a crowd advantage no matter what time the game is played.

3) If the #1 seed gets to play Friday afternoon - non only do they get a less rested play-in winner but they themselves get extra rest for Saturday night should they win. The whining here isn't about the rule being unfair, it's because it involves the Gophers.

4) Don Lucia voted against the "Minnesota Rule".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The rule change will kick in about the same time the F5 moves to Milwaukee/Denver/St. Cloud..... :0

FYI, got a reply back form the NCAA rep on the whole neutral ice/court/arena deal.

He said that the TRY to avoid playing in "home"/school locations when they can, but if the situation warrants it they will.

So it looks like if the Ralph actually put together a good enuf package/deal, they could host the Final five. As could the Kohl center (but they will probably be having a "Cher" concert at that time). :0

WPoS

FYI, got a reply back form the NCAA rep on the whole neutral ice/court/arena deal.

He said that the TRY to avoid playing in "home"/school locations when they can, but if the situation warrants it they will. 

So it looks like if the Ralph actually put together a good enuf package/deal, they could host the Final five.  As could the Kohl center (but they will probably be having a "Cher" concert at that time). :0

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, the Kohl center will be having the girls High School B-Ball tourney that weekend as well...hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :)

They I say, "Go for it, REA."  Let's put the shoe on the other foot and the "whine" in the other glass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only way it would happen at the Ralph is if the estate basically bought it. The league is in it for the money and selling out every game (which would not likely happen) would still leave the league with at least 20,000 fewer tickets sold.

Although a good showing at next years NCAA regionals would turn some heads and maybe have the WCHA consider "fairness" for a season or two.

Sorry, this will never work...Teams would lose out on the revenue from a WCHA playoff series and the money from the "Play-in" debacle...and we know its all about the ca$h....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you think the split CC should get for throwing Friday night's game as I quarentee that the seats will be half full for both of Saturday's games if the goofs are not playing for the champioship. Even the hardcore Minni fans (if there is such a thing) won't watch their team play for 3rd. I've seen it many times before.

Personally I would enjoy seeing Denver and CC play.  They have a heated rivalry and while us fans may not be invested like their fans would be, it should be a fun game to watch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to see them matchup as well. As long as it's taking place Saturday afternoon. :0 Gophs/Sioux tilts belong in primetime.

Saw on USCHO board that CC and DU are chartering a plance together to the Final Five.

I'm sure the gusy know each other in a lot of instances, but imagine if they play each other for the championship. Not a fun plane ride for the loser.

Saw on USCHO board that CC and DU are chartering a plance together to the Final Five. 

I'm sure the gusy know each other in a lot of instances, but imagine if they play each other for the championship.  Not a fun plane ride for the loser.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that uncommon. The Gophs and SCSU shared a plane to Ann Arbor a few years back for a regional.