SiouxSports.com Forum

WJC 2024

90siouxfan

3 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Another weak call like the Finns penalty 

Makeup call because those officials knew they made a weak one against the Finns. My god, that was a terrible call (both were terrible calls but more so the one against Finland)

And then the officiating crew doesn’t know the rules of icing.

That blown icing call with 6 seconds left really screwed over Finland if you think about it. Had the official gotten it right and waited to blow his whistle until after the puck had crossed the far red line, then there probably would’ve been 4 maybe 5 ticks left on the clock and an offensive zone faceoff for Finland. Instead, the officials huddle and determine they messed up so they do a center ice faceoff with 6 seconds to play. You ask the Finns what they would’ve rather had-a center ice faceoff with 6 seconds or an O zone faceoff with 4 or 5 seconds. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy the U.S. won the game but I hate seeing bad calls/missed calls that could potentially affect the outcome. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Godsmack said:

That blown icing call with 6 seconds left really screwed over Finland if you think about it. Had the official gotten it right and waited to blow his whistle until after the puck had crossed the far red line, then there probably would’ve been 4 maybe 5 ticks left on the clock and an offensive zone faceoff for Finland. Instead, the officials huddle and determine they messed up so they do a center ice faceoff with 6 seconds to play. You ask the Finns what they would’ve rather had-a center ice faceoff with 6 seconds or an O zone faceoff with 4 or 5 seconds. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy the U.S. won the game but I hate seeing bad calls/missed calls that could potentially affect the outcome. 

The game should have been over either way as the Finland player touched the puck before it crossed the goal line so icing should have been waved off anyway. They would have had to turn and go 200 feet in 6 seconds. No chance. In hindsight, the blown icing call and faceoff moved to center ice actually gave Finland a better chance than they should have had. 

16 hours ago, Godsmack said:

The Finland player got to the puck before it crossed the line. The game was over regardless.