SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

1 hour ago, ToDaClub said:

If a business pays a player to do an appearance or do a commercial for them, is it not deductible for the business as payroll or an advertising expense? 

You're outside my 501(c)3 charity donation scenario with that. 

32 minutes ago, shep said:

Too many will never play football next season.

I sometimes wonder if the portal path is used by some players to quit and not say they are quitting.  they go to another college (or not) with the intent of not playing anymore.  

17 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

College sports aren't sustainable for all student athletes no matter if there is NIL/the transfer portal or not. The majority of college sports lose tons of money every year. Unfortunately a lot of those sports will have to be cut by schools. That's unfortunate, but that's just the way business works. And college/college athletics is a business first. 

I really don't think NIL has that much of an impact on the long term sustainability for all student athletes. 

It’s not quite that simple. Most businesses aren’t subsidized by tax payer dollars in the same way as college athletics.  Most business employees don’t get free housing, health care, training, board and travel expenses subsidized by taxpayers.  Depending on the school, the amount subsidized, differs significantly as do the schools sports revenues   In addition, no business will survive long for paying an entry level employee 6 or 7 figures while not paying others a fraction of that or not at all. 

Businesses have clients and customers who have a recognizable return on their investment more valuable than bragging rights based on the accomplishments of others or incorporating a part of our identity based on an athletic team. 

Most college athletic teams provide an opportunity for athletes to compete in their sports while getting an education. It is an important source of entertainment for students, alumni and the communities where they exist. It is a vehicle for schools to maintain and foster relationships with alumni which can lead to donations to the university often for academic scholarships or non-athletic endeavors. It is a great tool to market the university. Previous research showed success of athletic teams is a positive factor for enrollment. 

Your thinly veiled shots over time at “older people” shows a lack of understanding of life’s experiences. Those with experience frequently can bring a different perspective for consideration that often can save a business a lot of money and prevent mistakes. There needs to be a healthy balance with decision makers so businesses and organizations don’t become stagnant because those with experience are uncomfortable with change or haven’t stayed current with demographics of their targeted clients/customers, technology, economic changes etc. It would be a mistake to assume older men and women are not keeping current with those changes as the business evolves. Those business concepts are just as important for colleges and universities. 

I don’t have issues with athletes earning whatever they can garner from NIL. I have an issue with the NCAA turning a blind eye to the schools/supporters setting up funds specifically for recruiting and dispersement of these funds orchestrated by the school. If schools operate under the rules and guidelines of the NCAA they need to enforce and abide by the rules. Otherwise stop the BS and let the schools collect and disperse the money without scholarship or other financial limits. New scholarships can be whatever wants to dish out. 

The kids should have to seek their NIL endorsements and arrange their own contracts. That would be closer to how most businesses run. If they are going to make a living playing sports they need to learn how to do this. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

It’s not quite that simple. Most businesses aren’t subsidized by tax payer dollars in the same way as college athletics.  Most business employees don’t get free housing, health care, training, board and travel expenses subsidized by taxpayers.  Depending on the school, the amount subsidized, differs significantly as do the schools sports revenues   In addition, no business will survive long for paying an entry level employee 6 or 7 figures while not paying others a fraction of that or not at all. 

Businesses have clients and customers who have a recognizable return on their investment more valuable than bragging rights based on the accomplishments of others or incorporating a part of our identity based on an athletic team. 

Most college athletic teams provide an opportunity for athletes to compete in their sports while getting an education. It is an important source of entertainment for students, alumni and the communities where they exist. It is a vehicle for schools to maintain and foster relationships with alumni which can lead to donations to the university often for academic scholarships or non-athletic endeavors. It is a great tool to market the university. Previous research showed success of athletic teams is a positive factor for enrollment. 

Your thinly veiled shots over time at “older people” shows a lack of understanding of life’s experiences. Those with experience frequently can bring a different perspective for consideration that@ often can save a business a lot of money and prevent mistakes. There needs to be a healthy balance with decision makers so businesses and organizations don’t become stagnant because those with experience are uncomfortable with change or haven’t stayed current with demographics of their targeted clients/customers, technology, economic changes etc. It would be a mistake to assume older men and women are not keeping current with those changes as the business evolves. Those business concepts are just as important for colleges and universities. 

I don’t have issues with athletes earning whatever they can garner from NIL. I have an issue with the NCAA turning a blind eye to the schools/supporters setting up funds specifically for recruiting and dispersement of these funds orchestrated by the school. If schools operate under the rules and guidelines of the NCAA they need to enforce and abide by the rules. Otherwise stop the BS and let the schools collect and disperse the money without scholarship or other financial limits. New scholarships can be whatever wants to dish out. 

The kids should have to seek their NIL endorsements and arrange their own contracts. That would be closer to how most businesses run. If they are going to make a living playing sports they need to learn how to do this. 

@GoodGood @HoopsFan03 rebuttal?? thoughts? 

26 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

So any players announce any offers from UND?

Based on interviews it seems UND staff puts a lot of thought into who they offer including how they will fit in with the culture. That's not something that happens over the phone within a few days. IMO they super selective which comes back to building a culture vs building for one year. See Missouri State. 

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Not going to lie. Didn't read a word of that novel.

Like GoodGood said, I am absolutely in favor of kids having the ability to be paid what they are worth and make decisions that are best for them. 

Not surprising.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

What NDSU is doing is trying to raise money to maintain what they have while having zero idea if it will work.  They will never have as much as the schools they are trying to fight against.  They are simply reacting and maintaining.  That is never a successful strategy.  

So is doing nothing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Not going to lie. Didn't read a word of that novel.

Like GoodGood said, I am absolutely in favor of kids having the ability to be paid what they are worth and make decisions that are best for them. 

Not surprising since you are the same person posting under at least 3 different accounts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Based on interviews it seems UND staff puts a lot of thought into who they offer including how they will fit in with the culture. That's not something that happens over the phone within a few days. IMO they super selective which comes back to building a culture vs building for one year. See Missouri State. 

They’ve definitely been selective in the past. I think they’ll have to get more aggressive this year. The defense needs a ton of help 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

So is doing nothing.

Those schools that are doing nothing certainly will have to analyze.  Those FCS schools trying to compete with FBS offers while taking money from other donation arms of the school are pissing into the wind. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Those schools that are doing nothing certainly will have to analyze.  Those FCS schools trying to compete with FBS offers while taking money from other donation arms of the school are pissing into the wind. 

If the collective detracts from Teammakers or other charitable donations, then I agree, it won’t work long-term. 

Take a look at who the Coaches are following on social media, and you'll see many potential targets. Things need to move quickly no doubt. My best guess is Monday - Wednesday they'll see who enters as well as vet. Offers start on Thursday.

How many athletes at the FCS level would be attractive to a FBS program? They ended up in FCS for a reason. Not many players slip under the radar anymore. Jim Kleinsasser would have likely ended up at an FBS school if he were graduating high school today.

Aside from the occasional "late bloomers", I don't see a lot of FCS players being offered by FBS schools.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How many athletes at the FCS level would be attractive to a FBS program? They ended up in FCS for a reason. Not many players slip under the radar anymore. Jim Kleinsasser would have likely ended up at an FBS school if he were graduating high school today.

Aside from the occasional "late bloomers", I don't see a lot of FCS players being offered by FBS schools.

Off the top of my head NDSU has had 10 guys move on to FBS teams the last 3 years, and 6 just last year.