SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ South Dakota 11/11/2023

SiouxFan100

While the pass defense almost unexplainable, Defense did enough to win and exceeded all expectations.  Every single person on this board would have been happy with 14 points by SD.

• Danny's play calling was terrible.. Calling runs would have won the game.  we were slicing and dicing them on the run and it wasnt close.
  • Tommy is what he is.. but should have run the ball.
  • 3 pts from the offense in a game is terrible.. 3pts in the last two games against a decent opponent is unexplainable.
  • Tommy can run up a ton of points against crap teams.. clearly struggles against good teams.  ALL OF THAT BEING SAID.. IF DANNY RUNS THE BALL JUST LIKE WE DID AGAINST NDSU ITS AN EASY WIN.  Tommy is what he is.. IF you are going to play him.. play to his strengths.  I ahve lost a lot of faith in Danny this year.

The game next week against Illinois state is not a gimme.. they are a good team and could easily knock us out of the playoffs as they will be playing to get into the playoffs. What a disappointing game for UND.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Is this a chicken or egg situation on offense? Is Danny's playcalling limited because our QB is limited?

Trey needs to start next weekend. We have scored 3 points and zero touchdowns the last two games against legit FCS opponents.

No one is starting except tommy

he will be back because Bubba doesn’t have the balls or heart to tell him to leave 

I doubt he would find a home thru the portal 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 108498 said:

You can't argue what is true. NDSU is a better football team and has proved they can win many games each season.  UND won the Superbowl at least this year. 

…and how did we beat NDSU, by running it down their throats with Ziebarth.  He was nowhere to be found in the second half, except after momentum had switched.  Once again, that is on the coaches.

• Upvote 3

Absolutely pathetic!

Everything to play for. Couldn't have had a better start. Defense actually played well outside of a few plays (unreal how many time we allow team to convert when they are backed up a mile).

Tommy is a good QB that can't seem to get it done in big games. I don't know why, not sure what it is, but he looks so timid out there when we play a decent opponent.

Not that all of the blame can go to Tommy. Is someone else calling plays when we play good teams? I've got some serious questions for anyone who thinks Danny is the heir apparent and ready to take over this program. His situation play calling is horrendous! Second to the last drive with plenty of time on the clock and we throw three straight passes. Passing into the flats hasn't worked all day, maybe stop doing it. What happened to committing to the run and running between the tackles. I get that Z was still limited, but we seemed to be finding room early in the game. Plus, in a do or die situation you have 4 downs to work with and if you can get 8 or 8 1/2 you bring in Q to do what he does. 

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced at all that we will win next week and could easily be on the outside looking in. Illinois St just pummeled Murray; I guess I'm glad its a home game. And even if we do win, we are likely going on the road first round, or at the very best get 1 home game. Could have had a seed, but just can't get it done.

Also see UNI is getting beat up by Misery St. and Salukis are tied with SU. It'll be a weird playoff field, but this team definitely pissed away a terrific opportunity.

• Upvote 1

So sick of the "we played with heart" and "awe shucks" bullsh!t from Bubba. You got basically shut out for the second game this season. It was there and you pissed another one down your leg. And if Danny is truly the heir apparent that people say he is, then we have more trouble coming.

It was there for the taking. Dumb luck happened for you. And you couldn't do a damn thing.

So tired of it. And Tommy can take his record and move the F on next year too.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

All goes back to Bubba. He’s supposed to have this team prepared. 

I think this all goes back to Chaves - Bubba is always going to be Bubba - he is incapable of change.  But the administration thought they would reward him after a 5-6 season so now we can't afford a buy out.  

• Like 2

Just now, Irish said:

I think this all goes back to Chaves - Bubba is always going to be Bubba - he is incapable of change.  But the administration thought they would reward him after a 5-6 season so now we can't afford a buy out.  

Bingo! You get what you pay for … funny how that works?

Just now, tnt said:

…and how did we beat NDSU, by running it down their throats with Ziebarth.  He was nowhere to be found in the second half, except after momentum had switched.  Once again, that is on the coaches.

I'm guessing Z was still limited based on how little we saw of him, but Smith was running it just fine up the gut. We just stopped calling it. Danny gets a little too pass happy and want to score immediately. Might work against bad team, but can't do that against a good defense.

Also needed more out of our receivers. Even when Tommy had time, nobody would get open. Did we even throw to the middle of the field today? I keep hearing that Caden Dennis is some speedster, but I haven't seen it. Makes catches and takes some hard hits, but I'm not overly impressed.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

That’s what will happen. At least we have hockey. You have what? More criminals?

Man I hate the at least we have hockey comments..

2 minutes ago, 108498 said:

At least we can count on NDSU to show up each season. 

have they showed up this season?  Might want to watch the next couple weeks before you make that comment.

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Hockey blows 

Not sure that is called for, but whatever. I'm pissed that football lost too, but wtf does that have to do with people liking hockey.

They aren't wrong, at least that program hasn't had perennial letdowns. Some, but not nearly what we have had to deal with in football.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm guessing Z was still limited based on how little we saw of him, but Smith was running it just fine up the gut. We just stopped calling it. Danny gets a little too pass happy and want to score immediately. Might work against bad team, but can't do that against a good defense.

Also needed more out of our receivers. Even when Tommy had time, nobody would get open. Did we even throw to the middle of the field today? I keep hearing that Caden Dennis is some speedster, but I haven't seen it. Makes catches and takes some hard hits, but I'm not overly impressed.

But Ziebarth came back in only after we lost momentum.  I prefer a killer instinct.

• Upvote 1

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure that is called for, but whatever. I'm pissed that football lost too, but wtf does that have to do with people liking hockey.

They aren't wrong, at least that program hasn't had perennial letdowns. Some, but not nearly what we have had to deal with in football.

To be fair, hockey hasn't done anything special since 2016. But I agree, pitting one program against another isn't helpful.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

He’s upset, we can let it slide. This one time.

8 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Exactly. I remember the 360 guys say that Danny just runs his plays ....he doesn't care or pay attention to what the defense is doing or how they are playing him. Seems like a horrible trait of an offensive coordinator,  to not see that there are 6 guys in the box and you can run on them but you send in multiple 1 yard pass plays. 

Sounds like a very rigid, dare I say stubborn approach.  Wonder where he gets it from?