SiouxSports.com Forum

Logo change coming?

Sweethockey

59 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Behind Nokotas, yes. But that one didn't survive the consultants. 

That was my pick...  I thought that this had potential to be very unique to area.  A couple of others had potential also - but Hawks - just awful.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Behind Nokotas, yes. But that one didn't survive the consultants. 

I suggest the powers-that-be change the name to "Fighting Scouts" with a Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery themed logo(s).  "Fighting" is particularly appropriate in this case since the expedition was comprised of members of the US Army.  "Corps of Discovery" should also be used as secondary marking (on signage, uniforms, publications, merchandise, etc.).  This would be much more relevant to the state, as they spent more time in what would become North Dakota than in what would become any other state, and much more marketable.  Fun fact - the ND state highway that runs along the east and west sides of the Missouri River are designated "1804" and "1806", respectively, to commemorate the years Lewis and Clark went up the Missouri and came back on their return.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Flickertails was the best option yet IIRC it wasn't even considered

I've thought about that recently as well.  At least it isn't generic.  Pisses me off that people were stupid enough to make the argument that Roughriders was bad because "we can't copy the local high school", and then they go and vote for a bird which it seems like 20+ schools have.  

At, the time, Flickertails was a non starter, coming from the Sioux name, but I'd take it now.  

That said, I don't actually mind the current logo, and it pops/stands out in almost every picture where I've seen it included with other logos.  It would never look good on the middle of a jersey though (makes for a great secondary, as others have said).  Biggest issue I have with the logo is that the design has so much empty space that it causes the stitching to look weird, especially on hats.

image.png.8aa7699de6e3410627b7317a22297940.png

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:21 AM, nodak651 said:

Perhaps the best option is to just roll with the Nodak thing and do it for all sports.  Diagonal "nodak" in block print looks dumb though unless its on a hockey jersey, so need to develop a script logo, similar to Pitt (panthers).

Who benefits from the copyright to NODAK.

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Very good information.  Now that the trademark is within the university, I feel more comfortable with identifying with the brand.