SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 hour ago, Sioux_FF said:

Are you basing this on your personal experience as a college football player? Or is it based more on your varied experience as a college football coach?   Or, both?

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once … so yes … all of the above. 

I bet you think you’ve canceled me in excellent left-wing fashion; good job, you should be so proud. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, homer said:

Again, a coach that can see some really good offensive talent and is confident enough he can average 30+ pts per game like Danny did.  

On this board I have seen anywhere from 4-9 wins predicted for next year, mostly because of questions on defense.  If a coach comes in, the team wins 9 and Bubba pulls a Saban and hangs it up someone has positioned themself pretty well.  

If we are going to play the movement for Danny is a good thing, there is another coach out there looking for the same opportunity.  

Umm … to pull a Saban you have to have first formed a perennial powerhouse and won numerous championships … Bubba is nearly the polar opposite. So no “pulling a Saban” happening anytime soon. UND ain’t going to attract anyone external worthwhile at OC. 2024 is lost. 2025 can be saved though with termination and then subsequent thoughtful external hiring. 

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

There are some on this forum that are very jealous of hockey. Hockey has facilities, funding, fans and success. These fans like to boast that if hockey wasn't a priority and the funding was diverted to football, we would magically be perennial national champs. Of course it isn't that simple and you don't tear down one successful program to try to build another. You try to build another successful program in addition to what you have.

Now I'm a big UND football fan too, and there is no doubt they could use some additional funding, probably mostly in the form of coaching salaries (and maybe some new white jerseys), but to blaming hockey is just the quick scapegoat. Any easy way of showing how jealous they are of the success they want for the sport they don't care about.

Had Ralph donated all that money towards a football stadium, you wouldn't hear a peep from this crowd, and how great would it be if we had someone willing to donate that for football as well. It would be incredible! But most schools don't get that for any sport let alone one. The REA has been fantastic for hockey and the community. The Alerus isn't a bad facility either. Its not my person favorite, but its not a bad place to watch a game.

Rather than placing blame on the alumni that did donate a ton to the University, I'd focus more on our AD who hands out unwarranted contract extensions and can't seem to find some more money in our alumni base. It doesn't even need to be a ton more, but they do need to increase the salaries to be competitive. Maybe that will be the focus now that Phase 2 is on its way. I'm not sure it is even that much more money that would need to be raise .... I have no idea, but something needs to be done. When Bubba is gone, it would be really nice to see UND make a splash in hiring (but I doubt it). Problems run deeper at UND that money. There is also just and administrative approach and routine that never seems to change.

Football funding is diverted for hockey , that is the problem. So until hockey funding is diverted to football then maybe you won’t hear some of us complain about hockey, REA, and the EF. 

and for the record I’ve attended more hockey games this year than football, but I’ve watched more FB games than hockey on TV so don’t try to call me anti hockey. I’m a UND fan first, no one gets my undivided attention!

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Umm … to pull a Saban you have to have first formed a perennial powerhouse and won numerous championships … Bubba is nearly the polar opposite. So no “pulling a Saban” happening anytime soon. UND ain’t going to attract anyone external worthwhile at OC. 2024 is lost. 2025 can be saved though with termination and then subsequent thoughtful external hiring. 

I meant pulling a Saban from the standpoint of retiring because the world of college sports has passed you by.  

You will rip on any coach UND gets though.  You viewed Danny as a D2 coach during this season and now it’s suddenly a terrible thing he is leaving.  Pretty funny actually. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, homer said:

Again, a coach that can see some really good offensive talent and is confident enough he can average 30+ pts per game like Danny did.  

On this board I have seen anywhere from 4-9 wins predicted for next year, mostly because of questions on defense.  If a coach comes in, the team wins 9 and Bubba pulls a Saban and hangs it up someone has positioned themself pretty well.  

If we are going to play the movement for Danny is a good thing, there is another coach out there looking for the same opportunity.  

This team ain't winning 9 games.  My goodness.  With the easiest schedule EVER they might win 7.  However, it's an extremely tough schedule so more like 4-5.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, homer said:

You will rip on any coach UND gets though.  You viewed Danny as a D2 coach during this season and now it’s suddenly a terrible thing he is leaving.  Pretty funny actually. 

There are hundreds of coaches that I would be pleased with as they would be an upgrade; remains to be seen if that will happen.

And you better “prove it” or pull a quote where I said “Danny is a D2 coach” because I never typed that, said that, or believed that. Now you’re just talking pure bullsh*t.

I’ve said it before and will say it again: UND lost the only guy on staff that could possibly do better than the current head coach. Now, they’ll have to go outside the staff when Bubba is hopefully fired or forced out to retirement (which may in fact be the reason Danny Freund left to begin with).

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Everything starts up front with the O-line.  O-line Coach knows RB and TE blocking responsibilities.  O-Line coaches have a base belief and strong working knowledge of blocking concepts in run/pass game.  O-Line, especially Center has in game checks and their O-line Coach teaches them. O-Line coaches are involved in schematics with OC I believe in most cases. (If we can't block it, we can't run it).  O-Line coach knows realistic timing of each play.

Playing time helps anywhere from a little to quite a bit.  It's never hurt a coach having a ton of playing time.

And this is why Gundy knows ball. Amen. I couldn’t agree more. It’s also why our defense is not where it needs to be; no one to focus in, recruit, and develop the guys in the trenches. 

image.jpeg.88beba7350c951bdd277fdf62973c9d9.jpeg

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And this is why Gundy knows ball. Amen. I couldn’t agree more. It’s also why our defense is not where it needs to be; no one to focus in, recruit, and develop the guys in the trenches. 

image.jpeg.88beba7350c951bdd277fdf62973c9d9.jpeg

Where is The Sicatoka?  Perfect time for his O-Line post!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Everything starts up front with the O-line.  O-line Coach knows RB and TE blocking responsibilities.  O-Line coaches have a base belief and strong working knowledge of blocking concepts in run/pass game.  O-Line, especially Center has in game checks and their O-line Coach teaches them. O-Line coaches are involved in schematics with OC I believe in most cases. (If we can't block it, we can't run it).  O-Line coach knows realistic timing of each play.

Playing time helps anywhere from a little to quite a bit.  It's never hurt a coach having a ton of playing time.

I get all that but how often does a OL Coach become an OC?

Too lazy to research

31 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

The more I think about it the more frustrated I get.  Bubba has concreted himself into a very selfish human being.  He has to realize he has set this program back many many years.  His right hand man that had nearly two decades in GF leaves for a lesser position.  If he looked into the mirror and asked what his accomplishments have been in 10 years while being head coach at UND …what would the true response be?

“I’m just an above .500 coach

I havent won a single playoff game

I’m a defensive minded guy that has a horrible defense

90% of the my recruits only have D2 offers…which coincidentally works against most of the fcs (D2) not the top 10 tier 

I refuse to adjust to in game situations

I can’t win on the  road

I simply cannot exude confidence

I guess he can say he was better than mussman. Not a tough assignment.  He hasn’t accomplished sh&t. He beat Ndsu this year then teared up???  Cmon man.    It’s selfish for him to continue to collect a paycheck while this program sinks further.  

After the latest transgressions it's tough to rip on this review.  Not sure what he thinks he will do for the program over the next year other than collect his money

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

After the latest transgressions it's tough to rip on this review.  Not sure what he thinks he will do for the program over the next year other than collect his money

It’s all about collecting money at this point, thus Bubba has dissolved his reputation to rubble. Simply put, he didn’t deserve to be head coach for more than 5 seasons; 2018 should’ve been his last. He’s been in over his head for a while. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Jake Landry - Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Football Coaches - The University of St. Thomas (tommiesports.com)

"Under Landry's guidance, the Purple offense took a leap forward during its 2022 Pioneer Football League championship run. The Tommies led the PFL scoring 32.6 points per game and was fourth with 378.0 yards per game. Offensive lineman Matt Weimann earned a selection to the Phil Steele Magazine All-America Fourth Team after helping the offense rank tied for fifth in the FCS with 45 tackles for loss allowed and tied for 10th with 12 sacks allowed. Landry also led the Tommie offense to rank tied for 11th in FCS with a 48.2 percent third-down conversion rate and 21st with 200.2 rushing yards per game."

Yeah I read that and then this year he averaged 24.9ppg and 300ypg and 38% on 3rd down. 

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s all about collecting money at this point, thus Bubba has dissolved his reputation to rubble. Simply put, he didn’t deserve to be head coach for more than 5 seasons; 2018 should’ve been his last. He’s been in over his head for a while. 

Regardless of what you think, and some points are definitely valid, it legitimately seems kind of crazy that people just assume that someone who has dedicated their entire adult life to coaching and reached the point Bubba has, pouring everything into the program and has had results that are in the top quartile of coaches at this level, would just up and quit and walk away with 2 years left on his contract. (Yeah we know, "complacency") 

I find it hard to believe that there's a single person criticizing him that wouldn't do the exact same thing given the multiple years left on his contract. 

Now, if he decides he's ready to hang it up, different story. And then some of the critics are right, he doesn't have the fire he needs to continue.

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Regardless of what you think, and some points are definitely valid, it legitimately seems kind of crazy that people just assume that someone who has dedicated their entire adult life to coaching and reached the point Bubba has, pouring everything into the program and has had results that are in the top quartile of coaches at this level, would just up and quit and walk away with 2 years left on his contract. (Yeah we know, "complacency") 

I find it hard to believe that there's a single person criticizing him that wouldn't do the exact same thing given the multiple years left on his contract. 

Now, if he decides he's ready to hang it up, different story. And then some of the critics are right, he doesn't have the fire he needs to continue.

At least we can agree then that he is hanging around for the money, to the detriment of the program he loves so dearly.  

• Like 3

For those that think Bubba is going to see the writing on the wall and retire after next year, I'm betting he won't.   No way is Bubba leaving $265,000 on the table and that's what he gets for 2025 if he get fired.   That's a hell of a nice early retirement gift.