SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Quick 2024 summary at midway point: 

Disappointments

- Defense is horrendous. First time defensive coordinator is not doing his job. Defensive head coach is not doing his job. I’m not gonna get down on the players. They were recruited to play here, and they’re student athletes. The coaches are full-time employed adults, and they’re once again outdated and outmatched 

Did you think the defense looked different the first 3 games of the year? Really felt like they turned the corner, just to revert back the past 3 games. 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Did you think the defense looked different the first 3 games of the year? Really felt like they turned the corner, just to revert back the past 3 games. 

I thought the team looked ready to go against ISU. Despite the first play, where the defensive guys were in the exact right position and then being down 7 points after 2 plays, they played tough the whole game. Comparative scoring is what it is, but UND played them tougher on the scoreboard than Arkansas State (significantly), Houston and Baylor. They are up to the #9 team in the country at this point. 

No explanation for the NDSU game. We needed to start fast, didn't and everything unraveled from the opening kickoff. Still settled in a little and had a chance to get back in it and then literally fumbled that away on the first play of the 2nd half. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Quick 2024 summary at midway point: 

Positive Surprises:

- Running game with New Coaches Fruechte and Coach Olson

- Bo Belquist. Stud.

-Won 4 in a row at home, including a win versus a ranked Montana team. 

Disappointments

- Defense is horrendous. First time defensive coordinator is not doing his job. Defensive head coach is not doing his job. I’m not gonna get down on the players. They were recruited to play here, and they’re student athletes. The coaches are full-time employed adults, and they’re once again outdated and outmatched 

- Passing game. Nice story with Class B North Dakota quarterback getting the start, but he’s not an elite or even above average division I passer. 

- road record. Been two tough matchups, but once again, road team looks completely different than their at home in the Alerus Center counterpart. Again, coaching failure. 

- Loss to NDSU. It’s not so so much the fact they lost the game, as much as it is how they lost the game. Complete embarrassment. Coaching failure once again. Many programs around the country, if held to a high standard, would not put up with this. You can say that NDSU is a powerhouse in defense of your buddies, but the fact of the matter is you have to be competitive, even if you’re up against it. See Auburn vs Alabama. See early years of SDSU vs NDSU. Even if one of the rivals has the upper hand in funding and following and tradition and history, etc., you simply still have to make wholesale changes if necessary to compete with your rival.

After six games, this team is 4-2, but I largely see this as the same ol’, same ol’, same type of team that Bubba Schweigert has put together during his tenure. I’m guessing this team is probably going to be fighting to even win one playoff game this year, once again, but I hope I’m wrong. Consider me the eternal pessimist, which I’m already probably known as on this site, but I personally see it as being just a realist set in reality (despite what I want to happen). Wake me up when we have a new head coach. 

You make some good points.

The D needs bigger MEN on the frontline. I believe a starting guard played D in HS but switched to O. Why? The D needs more beef. 

I think the O will be fine notwithstanding the concerns at QB

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shep said:

You make some good points.

The D needs bigger MEN on the frontline. I believe a starting guard played D in HS but switched to O. Why? The D needs more beef. 

I think the O will be fine notwithstanding the concerns at QB

Always can use better players; it’s not the X’s and the O’s, but the Jimmys and the Joes. But remember, all teams/programs/schools want better players. The question is *HOW* does *UND* get better players: new facilities will help, but it ultimately all comes back down to the people in the building. 

Can’t just hyper-focus on the student-athletes. The intangibles of coaching (leadership, motivation, recruiting) are incredibly important in college football. And the X’s and O’s do matter a little bit also …

11 minutes ago, shep said:

I would agree. Watched JMU earlier this week. They ran a 3-4. Two DL, one the NG and one DE (my guess strong side or if need to go buckle interior line) were over 300lbs and I believe the one bigger DE had some height. I did not look up roster to see how many DL were over 300 or near. Yes we need edge rushers but we also need DL/NG (some with beef) that cannot get single blocked. String DL play makes LB and other positions in less of a bind. 

I would add, hopefully our new strength coach can help with this, though not enough time for this season, but hopefully next season. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I thought they did. Giving up 35 to that awful Murray State team is what scares me the most. I guess maybe some of it was just due to us scoring so much but a week later USD shut them out 59-0.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I thought they did. Giving up 35 to that awful Murray State team is what scares me the most. I guess maybe some of it was just due to us scoring so much but a week later USD shut them out 59-0.

Giving up 28 in a half and making Idaho States 3rd string QB look like an all American (he has not played much since) was concerning. I get the game was out of hand but I want a defense that has some pride in shutting out the other team whether its 0-0 or 50-0. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Giving up 28 in a half and making Idaho States 3rd string QB look like an all American (he has not played much since) was concerning. I get the game was out of hand but I want a defense that has some pride in shutting out the other team whether its 0-0 or 50-0. 

Yeah that was the start I suppose. I wrote that off but then the Murray State game was alarming. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Giving up 28 in a half and making Idaho States 3rd string QB look like an all American (he has not played much since) was concerning. I get the game was out of hand but I want a defense that has some pride in shutting out the other team whether it’s 0-0 or 50-0. 

I thought Murray State looked like a pretty good team then after what USD did and we did in Fargo the next week I came back to reality. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Irish said:

Ah, But Bubba is playing the long game with the defense - when the Bison return to the option we'll be ready with our 3-4.  

I don't think the 3-4 is the issue.   A lot of big college and nfl teams run it.  It's a matter of personnel.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I don't think the 3-4 is the issue.   A lot of big college and nfl teams run it.  It's a matter of personnel.

You’re not wrong but if we can’t recruit the right personnel than we have to adapt our defense to fit the personnel that we do have. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Which means the 3-4 is a problem here. I don’t care if Bama and the Steelers can run it. We don’t recruit the right body types. Bubba thinks 240 lb DEs can play in a 3-4 and have success. That’s such a joke. 270 minimum. 3 bills plus in the middle is not optional either. That’s the only way to properly run that defense. Smallish DL with smallish LBs? How’s that been working out for us?

To be fair, if you beat Iowa State and/or North Dakota State, this plea becomes unnecessary and the attendance takes care of itself …

But I’ve also been critical on the creativity of the Alerus Center and UND with marketing and football game day production, so perhaps multifactorial …

On 10/7/2024 at 12:42 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

1.) Defense

When our defense runs a cover two or three, we can't cover the receivers. Our zone coverage against the Bison was horrendous. If they run a man-on-man defense, we seem to be a little bit better. Whatever we're doing, isn't working.