SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

18 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Who is going to beat SU in Fargo - there is one school in the country who has a chance at that. 

Every team  is beatable regardless where the game is played.  Ndsu is nothing special this year which makes Saturdays game even more frustrating. If und was competitive and still lost that’s one thing.  They’re not just losing these games they’re getting embarrassed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Kaminski looked to have some nice wheels and escapability when he was in there. Also helps that he’s way bigger than Simon. Give him 15 plays a game and see what happens. 

He should have at least as many pass attempts as Tommy Schuster has had this year.  There has been plenty of opportunity to get him some game experience.  Why don't the coaches work to improve QB depth ever?  

17 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

He should have at least as many pass attempts as Tommy Schuster has had this year.  There has been plenty of opportunity to get him some game experience.  Why don't the coaches work to improve QB depth ever?  

I disagree with the last sentence. Every coach on every time tries to. The question I’m asking is why don’t they succeed at improving it? It’s tough to find them I guess but we have given scholarships to guys that could hardly throw a forward pass. I have heard they really like Sulik fwiw. Also, Kaminski has to get more consistent. If he does that the job is his. I had heard he was wayyy too erratic when competing for the job.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

For all his coaching experience Bubba has some huge blind spots and is stubborn enough to keep them.  Not giving the back-up QB reps has been one.  The insistence to hanging on to the 3-4 defense is another.  Not giving Kaminski reps could come back to bite us big time - either in a game this season where we need him or after the season in the transfer portal. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I disagree with the last sentence. Every coach on every time tries to. The question I’m asking is why don’t they succeed at improving it? It’s tough to find them I guess but we have given scholarships to guys that could hardly throw a forward pass. I have heard they really like Sulik fwiw. Also, Kaminski has to get more consistent. If he does that the job is his. I had heard he was wayyy too erratic when competing for the job.

Well Simon is nothing if not consistent. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

And yet he won the job for a reason. It’s not his fault the other guys failed.

But now he is failing to keep the job based on on-field performance. A change should be made or at least another guy given a chance.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Perhaps if Feeney had more than 23 career pass attempts he would have improved enough to be a viable QB.  Instead of improving while at UND, he went from being the backup QB to getting beat out by the walk on.  There has been plenty of opportunity both this year, last year, and in prior years to give the backups meaningful reps.  Our current QB situation and the lack of improvement is because we don't give the backups game reps.  It's kind of a joke that all of this years QB options were on the team last year, and knowing that Tommy was likely gone, they didn't care to get their next starter meaningful reps/experience.  Now our current QB is Deer in headlights.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Kaminski looked to have some nice wheels and escapability when he was in there. Also helps that he’s way bigger than Simon. Give him 15 plays a game and see what happens. 

We’ve seen him in a game, and the coaches see routinely in practice. He’s not “way” bigger but I see where you’re going with this. Kaminski is listed at 6-2 200 lbs, but doesn’t quite look that big in person. For example, Cole Payton, for NDSU, is 6-3, 234, and the difference in appearance in person is apparent.

Once again, this back up quarterback infatuation is quite predictable and routinely not fruitful. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

For all his coaching experience Bubba has some huge blind spots and is stubborn enough to keep them.  Not giving the back-up QB reps has been one.  The insistence to hanging on to the 3-4 defense is another.  Not giving Kaminski reps could come back to bite us big time - either in a game this season where we need him or after the season in the transfer portal. 

Anyone who knows Bubba knows there’s certainly some stubbornness… he’s in the twilight years of his coaching career, and certainly not the beginning of it (which is when flexibility and ability to change is more likely).  

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We’ve seen him in a game, and the coaches see routinely in practice. He’s not “way” bigger but I see where you’re going with this. Kaminski is listed at 6-2 200 lbs, but doesn’t quite look that big in person. For example, Cole Payton, for NDSU, is 6-3, 234, and the difference in appearance in person is apparent.

Once again, this back up quarterback infatuation is quite predictable and routinely not fruitful. 

There is a difference between a backup qb infatuation and wanting to see the backup qb get some reasonable time in game situations.

there are a few commentators that will always want the backup regardless… if Jerry was out there they would want romfo or one of the others.. Most of the reasonable folks just want to see Jerry when he should be out there.  He should have played the entire 4th quarter of the ndsu game.  The game was over and instead it was more important to have romfo throw underneath passes against prevent defense.  Total crap. 

I assume our coaches aren’t idiots and are playing the best players.. it’s a great way to lose the locker room by playing favorites and not the best player.  There is no indication bubba/fruechte have done that and actually seems to be the reverse.. seems to be a lot of love doe Romfo in the locker room. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We prefer ALL of our quarterbacks be 6'1" or below.  Winning formula

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

There is a difference between a backup qb infatuation and wanting to see the backup qb get some reasonable time in game situations.

there are a few commentators that will always want the backup regardless… if Jerry was out there they would want romfo or one of the others.. Most of the reasonable folks just want to see Jerry when he should be out there.  He should have played the entire 4th quarter of the ndsu game.  The game was over and instead it was more important to have romfo throw underneath passes against prevent defense.  Total crap. 

I assume our coaches aren’t idiots and are playing the best players.. it’s a great way to lose the locker room by playing favorites and not the best player.  There is no indication bubba/fruechte have done that and actually seems to be the reverse.. seems to be a lot of love doe Romfo in the locker room. 

Game was over but shouldn’t have been over. Until UND grows in confidence and realizes they have to play big boy football in order to compete with NDSU and SDSU, they will continue to be embarrassed in this region competitively against the best. Sitting your starters in the 4th quarter is not a way to communicate urgency, so I’m fine with them still playing everyone in the fourth. As you said, you only lose respect if you play the less talented guy and play favorites, and it sure seems like people are sh*ting on Romfo and picking favorites with Kaminski given what they know right now. I’m fine Kaminski didn’t see the field, but I’m not fine with how UND played and how they were prepared going into the game; in fact, I’m slightly embarrassed having had to endure that full game in-person with loud-mouth crude Fargo fans all around.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

We prefer ALL of our quarterbacks be 6'1" or below.  Winning formula

Yeah … not ideal. Again, transfer portal AND quarterback high school recruiting with Fruechte will be critical moving forward.

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I was going for hanging in the game and having a chance into the 4th quarter.  This game was over in my mind at A.) 7-0 just watching the line of scrimmage.  Other correct answers could be B.) When the Bison went up 14-0 in the 1st quarter, or C.) When Romfo fumbled to start the 2nd half.  We were never in the game and that sucked for us.

Maybe D) second offensive play of the game for UND down 7-0 and Romfo keeps the ball and loses a yard on a hard hit by Moestart. I think that may have made Romfo a little hesitant to hold onto the ball and if he isn’t running he is not going to beat a good team.

I was going for hanging in the game and having a chance into the 4th quarter.  This game was over in my mind at A.) 7-0 just watching the line of scrimmage.  Other correct answers could be B.) When the Bison went up 14-0 in the 1st quarter, or C.) When Romfo fumbled to start the 2nd half.  We were never in the game and that sucked for us.

Maybe D) second offensive play of the game for UND down 7-0 and Romfo keeps the ball and loses a yard on a hard hit by Moestart. I think that may have made Romfo a little hesitant to hold onto the ball and if he isn’t running he is not going to beat a good team.

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Do you know if he’s looked better in practice than what he’s looked in games? 

I don’t have the personal sample to comment. I had heard he was the most consistent one though in fall camp which is why he won the job.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’m usually not for it but I don’t see Romfo protecting the ball even. With Tommy he at least did that well.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Which is why I’ve been suggesting giving Jerry at least consistent looks through a package. Can’t justify Romfo based on performance right now because he also throws too many ints. If he can’t protect the ball and has a clearly limited throwing ability I don’t see what we have to lose in cutting Jerry loose.

I'm glad we can agree on this! Progress!

• Upvote 1