SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

"Top 5" program Albany disagrees with you! 

Don't say that or Chaves will think that Bubba will turn things around eventually if given enough time.   Yes Gattuso did turn that program around after ten years of failure.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Not downplaying his success because it speaks for itself but I'd be curious where his offenses at SIU actually ranked. I think they were above average but they won 5, 4, 6 and 7 games those 4 years. Beyond those few years, at the time his only other college experience was at the NAIA level where recruiting and requirements for players was completely different than D1 NCAA (and he obviously was very successful). It wasn't like it was a glaring mistake at the time. 

Very easy to look back and make the obvious comment that UND made a mistake. Happy for him as by all accounts he's a legitimately good guy. But looking back 10 years isn't going to move the program forward today. 

Searching his name on this forum and going back to the oldest posts is fairly interesting... helps to provide some of that context to the decision at the time.  

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Not downplaying his success because it speaks for itself but I'd be curious where his offenses at SIU actually ranked. I think they were above average but they won 5, 4, 6 and 7 games those 4 years. Beyond those few years, at the time his only other college experience was at the NAIA level where recruiting and requirements for players was completely different than D1 NCAA (and he obviously was very successful). It wasn't like it was a glaring mistake at the time. 

Very easy to look back and make the obvious comment that UND made a mistake. Happy for him as by all accounts he's a legitimately good guy. But looking back 10 years isn't going to move the program forward today. 

Well, as for 2013 SIU, Bubba’s defense was not exactly something to write home about either …

2013 SIU: Averaged 28.5 ppg on offense and defense gave up 25.2 ppg.

So, you tell me; was the offense or the defense more impressive? And who did UND hire, the OC or the DC? :blink:

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

"Top 5" program Albany disagrees with you! 

Rather than always looking for exceptions to the rule to justify Bubba Schweigert still being UND HC, maybe, just maybe, we should pay attention to the rule of the thumb; that is, what usually happens. If you can’t get it done after 10 seasons, you probably can’t get it done.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Rather than always looking for exceptions to the rule to justify Bubba Schweigert still being UND HC, maybe, just maybe, we should pay attention to the rule of the thumb; that is, what usually happens. If you can’t get it done after 10 seasons, you probably can’t get it done.

2 recruiting classes=8 years 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

My comments were aimed more at Bubba and the present staus of the football program than about Deboer.  With the correct man in the saddle, UND would instantly be a consistent seed at the FCS level.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, as for 2013 SIU, Bubba’s defense was not exactly something to write home about either …

2013 SIU: Averaged 28.5 ppg on offense and defense gave up 25.2 ppg.

So, you tell me; was the offense or the defense more impressive? And who did UND hire, the OC or the DC? :blink:

Who did their mutual boss endorse? An interesting question we'll never know the answer to. 

On 1/10/2024 at 4:09 PM, gfhockey said:

Landry 

same king

bsu oc 

umd oc 

wiu ex head cosch

So from Tom Miller’s list, would we be excited about any of these? Feel like Landry would move the needle for some. I’d say he’s done okay at St Thomas but nothing earth shattering.

I think people would be pretty bummed with King. That’s not to say he wouldn’t be a good OC but just the lack of experience and it feels like he’s not that well known even though he’s been around for a while.

Karson Pike, Bemidji OC, is interesting to me. Bemidji has been pretty good lately and his offense have been good too averaging 38 in 2018, 30 in 2019, 34 in 2021, 37 in 2022 and 30 in 2023. 

17 hours ago, wheelsup said:

If you really think Danny will be a good head coach at UND in the future the best thing for him and UND is that he left to go learn in a good program outside of Bubba.  If he had stuck around and Bubba retired one of two things would have happened.

• whomever the AD is would have promoted Danny and everyone would have continued to complain about how inbred UND football is.
  • The AD would have conducted a wider search and Danny would have gotten passed over.

While maybe not the best thing for 2024 UND football.. in my opinion clearly the best thing for Danny and potentially UND football long term.  Im still annoyed as I was really looking forward to seeing if the offensive problem in 2023 was Danny or Tommy (by the way.. defense was still 98% of the problem with 2023).

Kelly Howe's UNDFootball360 article on topic expands on othat train of thought. 

Danny made the best move for Danny. I do not begrudge him that. 

24 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Also, it's gotta be tough if you're an OC when the head coach doesn't want to retire, and you want, and are ready, to be head coach for the same team.  Danny being successful would have increased the likelihood of a Bubba extension, blocking his path to the head coaching job.  A dilemma.

Risk vs reward

Does SDSU success give him a better path?  If the offense is successful and you’re not the OC, what’s your next step?  Another OC job??

If a new OC comes in next year and averages 30 ppg, what’s the perception of this years offense.  If a new OC can retain the talent in place having a successful year is not out of the question.  

Again, take the names out of it, if the next HC is a position coach from an FCS school I can about imagine the posts on here. 

28 minutes ago, homer said:

Risk vs reward

Does SDSU success give him a better path?  If the offense is successful and you’re not the OC, what’s your next step?  Another OC job??

If a new OC comes in next year and averages 30 ppg, what’s the perception of this years offense.  If a new OC can retain the talent in place having a successful year is not out of the question.  

Again, take the names out of it, if the next HC is a position coach from an FCS school I can about imagine the posts on here. 

Danny could choose to retain the OC.  Given that UND was trying to pay Danny more money to stay and remain the OC at UND, I don't think people will view it like that (UND hiring an FCS position coach).  It's not like he was demoted.  The more I think about it, the more I think he plans to come back.  

I think what I dislike the most about Danny leaving now is we are sitting here looking for a new OC when I'd rather be looking for a new DC or even HC.  None of the OC's mentioned excite me at all, but if the defense doesn't get fixed it won't matter much. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

hope jake says yes today

Help me get excited about Jake Landry. I’m not saying he won’t be good but what’s so appealing about him? If he wasn’t a former QB here and a local guy, would we be excited?

Maybe it’s just the best of a bad situation, idk. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Help me get excited about Jake Landry. I’m not saying he won’t be good but what’s so appealing about him? If he wasn’t a former QB here and a local guy, would we be excited?

Maybe it’s just the best of a bad situation, idk. 

hes currently an o coordinator with fbs experience......cant have someone learning on the job like the "luke & josh" experiment muss tried

The obstacles for naming the OC have been discussed. Tough to get someone from outside with a lame duck coach.only thing we know for sure is that the usual suspects on here will not like whoever gets chosen

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, wheelsup said:

If you really think Danny will be a good head coach at UND in the future the best thing for him and UND is that he left to go learn in a good program outside of Bubba.  If he had stuck around and Bubba retired one of two things would have happened.

• whomever the AD is would have promoted Danny and everyone would have continued to complain about how inbred UND football is.
  • The AD would have conducted a wider search and Danny would have gotten passed over.

While maybe not the best thing for 2024 UND football.. in my opinion clearly the best thing for Danny and potentially UND football long term.  Im still annoyed as I was really looking forward to seeing if the offensive problem in 2023 was Danny or Tommy (by the way.. defense was still 98% of the problem with 2023).

Agree completely with one caveat to the negative for UND:

It's the best thing for UND as long as UND can convince him to come back.  If he lights it up at SDSU he could find himself with offers to become an FBS assistant.  If that happens and his pay goes north of $400k we probably won't be able to get him back (a la Eric Schmidt).

Danny made a great career move imo...I hope he lights it up!  And hopefully we have a chance to bring him back someday...

5 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Agree completely with one caveat to the negative for UND:

It's the best thing for UND as long as UND can convince him to come back.  If he lights it up at SDSU he could find himself with offers to become an FBS assistant.  If that happens and his pay goes north of $400k we probably won't be able to get him back (a la Eric Schmidt).

Danny made a great career move imo...I hope he lights it up!  And hopefully we have a chance to bring him back someday...

u do know that if he "lights it up" in brookings that would hurt und football.?
i hope sdac goes 0-11 next....sorry..not sorry

• Upvote 2