SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Unreal. One of the biggest collapses and coaching failures in recent memory. How everyone still has a job on UND’s staff after the post-Oct.14 letdown is even more pathetic. 

Yep.  A game which should have been a spring board in so many ways, now looks like a tease, a distant mirage.  The most troubling part for me is we can always have better players, but FCS football is about developing what you have and putting them in a position to thrive, making a bunch of guys who equal 6(on a scale of 1-10) and make them play like they are 8.   This staff does the opposite. 

The talent on the UND football team has been good enough to make deep playoff runs for awhile now.  The problem is coaching and lack of confidence.

Most games they make the 6 into a 5 or less at least for enough of the game to lose, or barely beat an woeful opponent.  If you are coached up you play fast, if you play fast you win the play, the more plays you win the more you believe and it builds on itself.  This staff gets some momentum and calls a trick play which looks like it has barely been practiced, a series of passes when they are running for 5+ a carry or calls for a fake punt on its own 20 yard line when the defense is waiting for it.  

I'm afraid we will be stuck with 5-7 wins and a first round playoff exit(when we qualify) as long as this staff is intact.

Go back through the Hawks results since the 2018 season.  Every game since we lost in Seattle in 2018 was winnable with the same talent.  Every single one, some would have been easier than others, I get it, but they were all winnable.

• Upvote 3

On 11/26/2023 at 8:17 AM, Devils said:

Guess it's just the way the cookie crumbles.  Just a little hard to understand how 2 teams with basically the same resumes and the one that lost the head-to-head (badly) gets the weakest opponent in the field and we got probably the toughest of any team that didn't get a home game.  Not to mention SIU and Youngstown got very easy matchups.  Guess it's bad luck being on the western side of the field.

The NCAA doesn't allow rematches in the first round so they could not send Drake to UND and regionalization in the first round left NDSU as the only possible opponent for Drake.

It is a good facility, would be nice if a bowl concept on south end could be done, same with the Betty 

until we sell out both we just need plans in place for expansion 

sound system to me has never been top shelf 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

The most frustrating thing with und being flatline average is the fcs is so flatline average.  Most of the perennial competing teams have moved up.  Und should be competing for top dog every year in the fcs. Not even close right now.  There is only 3 contenders…sdsu Ndsu and Montana . I mentioned couple years ago that they should model their tourney to the fbs + 4. Take the top eight.  Autos are a joke. For a  team like drake to ever sniff the playoffs is enough evidence that not only is the fcs weak but what a waste of money for the university for travel.  Most years …the fcs has 2-4 teams that can truly compete for a championship.  The others are spending a lot of money for a participation ribbon.  There is literally no way that sdsu, Ndsu or Montana doesn’t win the championship.  That’s the 3 this year.  No one else has a chance.  Most likely those 3 will be the only ones next year as well.  And the year after that and the year after that. Maybe add Montana st. Drake never stands a chance of winning it.  

This ^

4 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

The NCAA doesn't allow rematches in the first round so they could not send Drake to UND and regionalization in the first round left NDSU as the only possible opponent for Drake.

Our draw was pretty decent overall.  Sac State (clearly the toughest matchup in the first round) and USD.  If we cant beat Sac State at home then we just have no complaints.  We almost won that game in spite of one of the worst defensive showing in history and Danny being unwilling to pick up free money laying on the floor. 

After watching Montana State's special teams/kicker I think we might want to extend Kostich.  Im also a bit baffled by the Montana State play calling.. up by 7.. killing them with the runs by #22.. 3rd and 1.. better do empty backfield run by Tommy Mellot just seemed like there were much better 3rd and 1 calls.  I think if it had been 3rd and 4+ it would have made sense.

Between watching the MSU/NDSU game and USD/Sac State.. if you are going to play with a running QB you better have the other guy staying warm

• Upvote 2

Did anyone happen to watch the SIU coaching staff piss away their game at Idaho on Saturday?

Announcers referenced the fact that SIU coaching staff made their kicker earn his job the week leading up to the game because he had been terrible all season. 2-7 on FG's coming into the game.

Idaho ties game with over 4 minutes left. 

SIU gets the ball with 4:17 left, 3 timeouts and ball on 25 yard line.

They move the ball down the field picking up 3-4 first downs. They have ball at Idaho 38 with 40+ seconds left and still with 3 timeouts.

They move the ball to th 25 with all their timeouts remaining and still have around 20 seconds left after they run the ball for 3 yards to the 22. They decide to let the clock run down from 17 seconds and call timeout with 5 seconds left and start to send the kicking team out but then decide they should move the ball off the left hash mark and more towards the middle of the field so they snap it again and the QB runs to his right and takes a knee back at the 24 and call timeout with 2 seconds left to have their kicker who they don't trust try and convert what would be his longest field goal of the season to win it. 

Missed it and then lose in overtime.

• Like 1

KHQ-TV in Spokane, Washington, is reporting the EWU Board of Trustees will be holding a meeting Friday with dropping football to a lower division on the table.

The station is reporting Eastern's football budget is "unsustainable" for a school of its size. The "Strategic Resource Allocation" report said "EWU's leadership needs to consider all options to decrease Football's unsustainable deficit spending, including moving Football to a lower division."

What "lower division"? In DI it's FBS, FCS, or no FB. 

Pioneer League (non-scholly)? Sure, but what they save will be taken up by travel. 

The "lower division" option is DII with Central and Western Washington. 

On 12/3/2023 at 11:05 AM, Kab said:

It is a good facility, would be nice if a bowl concept on south end could be done, same with the Betty 

until we sell out both we just need plans in place for expansion 

sound system to me has never been top shelf 

The sound was so bad the first couple of games I considered letting my tickets go -extremely loud crap not only during breaks but in between every play. I had a guest who could hardly stand it. They seemed to have toned it down a bit later and actually played some songs that fired up the crowd.

1 hour ago, NDRA said:

Shouldn't you be on BV with Lakes pushing that narrative?

Lakes would rather die than see a summit FB league. He wants out of FCS so bad he’s willing to even do it the independent route. There is so much bison fatigue that they wouldn’t even vote to renovate their old barn

• Like 1