SiouxSports.com Forum

Youth Coaching

With everything that has come out in Orono, parents need to stay out of the coaching process/decision making. It allows coaches to create a supportive and constructive environment where young athletes can learn, grow, and make their own mistakes, which allows these kids to develop resilience, problem-solving abilities, and a sense of responsibility. Parents should be their kids number 1 fan, no doubt but stay out of the decision making. As Bobby Orr said, "I promise you that if you’re good enough and work hard enough, then you’ll get a chance to play." Don't know much about the EGF Bantam situation but I was listening to KFAN the other day and someone called in on that.

21 minutes ago, RhettRingers said:

With everything that has come out in Orono, parents need to stay out of the coaching process/decision making. It allows coaches to create a supportive and constructive environment where young athletes can learn, grow, and make their own mistakes, which allows these kids to develop resilience, problem-solving abilities, and a sense of responsibility. Parents should be their kids number 1 fan, no doubt but stay out of the decision making. As Bobby Orr said, "I promise you that if you’re good enough and work hard enough, then you’ll get a chance to play." Don't know much about the EGF Bantam situation but I was listening to KFAN the other day and someone called in on that.

This is a two-way street; coaches are just as bad these days. Take Izzy Marvin and the rest of Warroad. They recruit boys and girls to get an edge over all the competition. Is that fare to the local kids who lose their spot to an out-of-town kid because the coach wants to win so bad? I know I know; life isn't fair but if you are going to stand on this pedestal and preach that coaches these days are there to help kids grow and be better people down the road, than coach with what you have and don't bring in other talent. If you are a good coach like you say you are, then coaching kids to be better players won't be hard. 
Also, I am not saying that what the Orono parents did was right, I am just speaking in general that this isn't just a "parent" issue.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

This is a two-way street; coaches are just as bad these days. Take Izzy Marvin and the rest of Warroad. They recruit boys and girls to get an edge over all the competition. Is that fare to the local kids who lose their spot to an out-of-town kid because the coach wants to win so bad? I know I know; life isn't fair but if you are going to stand on this pedestal and preach that coaches these days are there to help kids grow and be better people down the road, than coach with what you have and don't bring in other talent. If you are a good coach like you say you are, then coaching kids to be better players won't be hard. 
Also, I am not saying that what the Orono parents did was right, I am just speaking in general that this isn't just a "parent" issue.

Just because a guy was a great player (Larry Olimb) doesn't mean he is automatically a great coach.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

But it does mean he knows a hell of alot more about hockey than 99.5% of the parents

Exactly, it's more self entitled parents thinking their kid is better than they actually are. Being upset your daughter wasn't named a captain for the upcoming season at the year end banquet is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:08 AM, ChadR said:

Just because a guy was a great player (Larry Olimb) doesn't mean he is automatically a great coach.

My understanding is Olimb coached one season, which resulted in a 24-4-4 record and a state title game appearance. 

I’m not in the know, so serious question, what exactly did he do wrong or why is he not considered a good enough coach?

On 6/30/2023 at 9:27 AM, RhettRingers said:

Exactly, it's more self entitled parents thinking their kid is better than they actually are. Being upset your daughter wasn't named a captain for the upcoming season at the year end banquet is ridiculous. 

When I was in high school (07-10) we voted on captains during the preseason....isn't that the norm?

34 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

When I was in high school (07-10) we voted on captains during the preseason....isn't that the norm?

That’s how it worked for me for football and basketball, captains were usually voted on. I always figured that was the norm.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 9:13 AM, RhettRingers said:

What's up in EGF? 

Larry made a couple mistakes.  He never should've met with the families or emailed back and forth with them without having administration involved.

In today's era, Parents/Adults are more concerned how their kids are perceived athletically than what type of human they are.  Gotta get everything on Crapbook, Instagram and Twitter and puff their chest about everything little Johhny and Debbie do.  It's a slap in the face to be 3rd line, 4th line or god forbid JV.  

Enjoy watching your kids, as we all know time is the biggest bitch.  

On 7/5/2023 at 12:19 PM, Johnny Five said:

What's up in EGF? 

Larry made a couple mistakes.  He never should've met with the families or emailed back and forth with them without having administration involved.

In today's era, Parents/Adults are more concerned how their kids are perceived athletically than what type of human they are.  Gotta get everything on Crapbook, Instagram and Twitter and puff their chest about everything little Johhny and Debbie do.  It's a slap in the face to be 3rd line, 4th line or god forbid JV.  

Enjoy watching your kids, as we all know time is the biggest bitch.  

Donny Riendeau was let go as the Bantam AA coach. Don't know why or what happened.