SiouxSports.com Forum

The Frozen Faceoff…may it rest in peace

MafiaMan

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

The conference tourney currently IS the Frozen Faceoff.  Are you suggesting that St Cloud State would host next year’s tournament because they won it this year?  If so, interesting idea…

That would mean UND would never get to host it

With UND’s lack of success at the Frozen Faceoff and the overall cost to going, I don’t think it’s tenable for the NCHC to keep relying on UND fans each year to show up. 

UND should turn full heel and demand that Grand Forks hosts the Frozen Faceoff every year! We are already hated, might as well double down. :lol: :D

• Upvote 2

if and when we go to the big10 format...

do we have four best of 3 gamers in the first round on campus or do we give the top two seeds the weekend off before they host the next round on campus (big 10 gives the conference winner a bye to the second round and then they get to play the lowest seed to advance from weekend 1...bc they have an odd number of members with the other und)?

Ok Reg season champ host torny.....first round best of 3 second round the frozen four at the reg season champs place.  Unless the NCHC adds MSU and ASU or another big fan base.  The final five worked because you had 2 big fan bases UND and UM add WIS and the rest you have a good base to fill the X.  NCHC has UND and............ and the rest. Location helps too.  

5 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

Ok Reg season champ host torny.....first round best of 3 second round the frozen four at the reg season champs place.  Unless the NCHC adds MSU and ASU or another big fan base.  The final five worked because you had 2 big fan bases UND and UM add WIS and the rest you have a good base to fill the X.  NCHC has UND and............ and the rest. Location helps too.  

do you give the top seed a bye bc if you don't and they lose in the first round...........big 10 model is the way to go...

keoc

3 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I guess I'm not seeing how moving to Omaha (or Des Moines or Sioux Falls) fixes the problems we're seeing in the Twin Cities. 

Exactly. Part of the reason the Twin Cities works at all for us even is because of how many UND fans live in the Cities.  Don’t think that is the case for either Des Moines or Sioux Falls.

• Upvote 2

The biggest reason the old final 5 format was successful is 9 of the 12 schools were within a 6 hr drive to the cites.  So worse case any year is you had half the schools that close save AA. DU, OR CC.  ( Fans could drive down if they chose and didn't need a flight.  The loss if UM, UW, MT, MSUM, BSU took out those fan bases.  Now half the schools need to fly.

The only way to get back to a full house is on campus.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can UND just join the Big 10? 

Something needs to change, to inject life into the program. It's gotten "satisfied". And there'd be lots to negotiate (only Fri/Sat home games; keep regional cable deal). 

But I fear that DU and ASU are on the list ahead of UND if there is a list. 

12 hours ago, nd jg said:

The biggest reason the old final 5 format was successful is 9 of the 12 schools were within a 6 hr drive to the cites.  So worse case any year is you had half the schools that close save AA. DU, OR CC.  ( Fans could drive down if they chose and didn't need a flight.  The loss of UM, UW, MT, MSUM, BSU took out those fan bases.  Now half the schools need to fly.

The handful of Michigan Tech, UW, MSUM, and BSU fans who made the trip or alumni locals who attended the games was pretty minuscule to the amount of Gopher fans there.  The biggest loss to the tournament — and it isn’t even close — was Minnesota.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Something needs to change, to inject life into the program. It's gotten "satisfied". And there'd be lots to negotiate (only Fri/Sat home games; keep regional cable deal). 

But I fear that DU and ASU are on the list ahead of UND if there is a list. 

ASU.........maybe. But the snobs that run the B1G will never admit a small, private school like Denver.

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

ASU.........maybe. But the snobs that run the B1G will never admit a small, private school like Denver.

The B1G academic snobs would take DU over ASU or UND. Each of the three has plusses and minuses. 

Joining the conversation late, but yes, I agree that watching the Big Ten championship with a full house was more interesting than watching the NCHC championship game.  I would now be in favor of moving to campus sites.  I never attended the Final Five in person, but I would watch every game (even the Thursday play-in) with anticipation and the energy of the crowd was palpable.  Without the passionate (and large) Gophers and Badgers fanbases (plus decades of cultivated rivalries), the Frozen Faceoff just can't be the Final Five.

As for joining the Big Ten, consider me intrigued on certain levels, but having UND's showcase sport in a conference that would only treat that sport as high as #3 would mean we would get some raw deals, IMO.  A neutral site Big Ten conference tournament with UND in it would probably work, actually.  Not to say that it should go that way.  The NCHC would no doubt flounder without UND, so staying an alpha probably wins out.  I wouldn't mind seeing more across the board NCHC / Big Ten out-of-conference matchups, though (like the ACC / Big Ten basketball challenges they do before conference seasons start).  The geographical footprint is the pretty much the same, so I think there would be mutual interest.  Miami can tell a recruit, "yeah, we go west for conference games, but we also play Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame in the next 3 seasons."  Likewise, UND can tell recruits that Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are on their schedule.

I'll probably have more thoughts to come on this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Joining the conversation late, but yes, I agree that watching the Big Ten championship with a full house was more interesting than watching the NCHC championship game.  I would now be in favor of moving to campus sites.  I never attended the Final Five in person, but I would watch every game (even the Thursday play-in) with anticipation and the energy of the crowd was palpable.  Without the passionate (and large) Gophers and Badgers fanbases (plus decades of cultivated rivalries), the Frozen Faceoff just can't be the Final Five.

As for joining the Big Ten, consider me intrigued on certain levels, but having UND's showcase sport in a conference that would only treat that sport as high as #3 would mean we would get some raw deals, IMO.  A neutral site Big Ten conference tournament with UND in it would probably work, actually.  Not to say that it should go that way.  The NCHC would no doubt flounder without UND, so staying an alpha probably wins out.  I wouldn't mind seeing more across the board NCHC / Big Ten out-of-conference matchups, though (like the ACC / Big Ten basketball challenges they do before conference seasons start).  The geographical footprint is the pretty much the same, so I think there would be mutual interest.  Miami can tell a recruit, "yeah, we go west for conference games, but we also play Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame in the next 3 seasons."  Likewise, UND can tell recruits that Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are on their schedule.

I'll probably have more thoughts to come on this.

Yet we keep bringing in Quinnipiac, Niagra, and Lindenwood in OOC games?